tcoop

Default throttle adjustment

I got a 1995 40hp Force engine and I just changed the impeller. I got it
back together and started the engine. It has better water pump output and it
goes into forward and reverse gears but it doesn't throttle up when i move
the gear shift forward. Any idea how to adjust the throttle? Here is a
picture of what i have
http://coopscorner.com/takealook/throttle_linkage.htm
Thanks for the help, and I know it isn't the best engine, but i got it and
have to try to make the best of it...:-)
Tom

Joe Here

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:26:01 -0400, "tcoop" wrote:

I got a 1995 40hp Force engine and I just changed the impeller. I got it
back together and started the engine. It has better water pump output and it
goes into forward and reverse gears but it doesn't throttle up when i move
the gear shift forward. Any idea how to adjust the throttle? Here is a
picture of what i have
http://coopscorner.com/takealook/throttle_linkage.htm
Thanks for the help, and I know it isn't the best engine, but i got it and
have to try to make the best of it...:-)
Tom

Does your throttle control move forward with very little resistance?
If so, chances are the cable has broken or become disconnected in the
box.

I assume you are in gear while trying to open the throttle?

tcoop

There is some resistance, how far does the control arm suppose to move
foirward? I am not sure it is moving far enough forward. I will try some
lubrication and try working it a little. I am very new to boating and the
boat has been sitting in the weather, so maybe it is just froze.
Also, someone told me of an overheating horn. I have a newer control arm
assembly (1995) and I wanted to change it or at least check it to make sure
it works. Any idea where it is located and how to check it.
Thanks
Tom

"Joe Here" wrote in message
[...]

Joe Here

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:58:38 -0500, "tcoop" wrote:

There is some resistance, how far does the control arm suppose to move
foirward? I am not sure it is moving far enough forward. I will try some
lubrication and try working it a little. I am very new to boating and the
boat has been sitting in the weather, so maybe it is just froze.
Also, someone told me of an overheating horn. I have a newer control arm
assembly (1995) and I wanted to change it or at least check it to make sure
it works. Any idea where it is located and how to check it.
Thanks
Tom

"Joe Here" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:26:01 -0400, "tcoop" wrote:

Is there a button on your throttle console? If it's similar to my old
chrysler, the button must be pushed in before you can open the
throttle to any meaningful position. With the button out, one can only
achieve a fast idle. Is it possible this is the case?

What I would do next is disconnect the throttle cable at the motor and
check that the whole linkage system moves freely ,WITH ENGINE TURNED
OFF (must be in gear for this as there is a tang of sorts to stop
reving freely in neutral). If this seems fine, try and push the end of
the cable in and out. It should not move.

tcoop

I was able to get the linkage to work. It took a little grease and just a
little extra push to get it started but it seems to be moving now. It at
least is moving the linkage under the cowl, but I haven't actually started
the engine because of a punctured gas line. I hope to repair that tomorrow
as well as change the filter and crank it up.
I appreciate your help,
Thanks again Tom

"Joe Here" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:58:38 -0500, "tcoop" wrote:

There is some resistance, how far does the control arm suppose to move
foirward? I am not sure it is moving far enough forward. I will try some
lubrication and try working it a little. I am very new to boating and the
boat has been sitting in the weather, so maybe it is just froze.
Also, someone told me of an overheating horn. I have a newer control arm
assembly (1995) and I wanted to change it or at least check it to make

sure
it works. Any idea where it is located and how to check it.
Thanks
Tom

"Joe Here" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:26:01 -0400, "tcoop" wrote:

Is there a button on your throttle console? If it's similar to my old
chrysler, the button must be pushed in before you can open the
throttle to any meaningful position. With the button out, one can only
achieve a fast idle. Is it possible this is the case?

What I would do next is disconnect the throttle cable at the motor and
check that the whole linkage system moves freely ,WITH ENGINE TURNED
OFF (must be in gear for this as there is a tang of sorts to stop
reving freely in neutral). If this seems fine, try and push the end of
the cable in and out. It should not move.

Joe Here

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:54:16 -0500, "tcoop" wrote:

I was able to get the linkage to work. It took a little grease and just a
little extra push to get it started but it seems to be moving now. It at
least is moving the linkage under the cowl, but I haven't actually started
the engine because of a punctured gas line. I hope to repair that tomorrow
as well as change the filter and crank it up.
I appreciate your help,
Thanks again Tom

Keep us posted.

Cheers.