Rick

Default Trailer Tires Overheating.

Mark Browne wrote:

The brakes *will* stop the plane at V1. Other than that, there may be
problems. The company I work for sells parts for "retriever kits." They use
these kits to recover aircraft after they deploy the brakes during an
aborted takeoff. The heat from the brakes soak into the tires and cause
various problems.

For you and Steve, please go back and read where I posted"

Many aircraft tire failures are due to overheated brakes, heating the
wheels to the point of causing the tires to blow out or burn, not from
heat generated by the tires themselves.

That was in reponse to a post that claimed the wheels would provide
sufficient heat sinking to cool the tires.

As an ATP and former airline captain I am very familiar with aircraft
braking limitations.

Rick

Steven Shelikoff

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 05:18:29 GMT, Rick wrote:

Mark Browne wrote:

The brakes *will* stop the plane at V1. Other than that, there may be
problems. The company I work for sells parts for "retriever kits." They use
these kits to recover aircraft after they deploy the brakes during an
aborted takeoff. The heat from the brakes soak into the tires and cause
various problems.

For you and Steve, please go back and read where I posted"

Many aircraft tire failures are due to overheated brakes, heating the
wheels to the point of causing the tires to blow out or burn, not from
heat generated by the tires themselves.

That was in reponse to a post that claimed the wheels would provide
sufficient heat sinking to cool the tires.

Yes, I saw that and agree that when airliner brakes are used excessively
they can cause tire blowouts. But again, the braking requirements and
capabilities and the heating of the tires of an airliner vs. a race car
couldn't be more different. To suggest that because airliner tire
failures due to the brakes generating too much heat mean that race cars
also can't dissapate their braking heat fast enough to prevent tire
problems is a non sequitur.

As an ATP and former airline captain I am very familiar with aircraft
braking limitations.

I'm surprised then to hear you say that thrust reversers provide little
braking at high speeds when in reality, they provide most of their
braking at high speeds and much less at low speeds. That's why, when an
airliner lands, they'll use the thrust reversers first, while the plane
is going fast. Then once it slows down sufficiently, they'll use more
of the brakes.

Steve
James Johnson

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:05:12 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 00:31:47 +0000, James Johnson wrote:

Hydrogen is even better yet (better heat transfer coefficient). It is what is
used to cool the 1000 megawatt generators at power plants as air can't carry the
heat from resistance in the windings away fast enough. Just watch out for
flames or sparks. Also hydrogen tends to diffuse through the tire so you have
to replenish it more often.

I've worked at Perry, OH; Enrico Fermi, MI; Calvert Cliffs, MD; Oyster Creek,
NJ; Salem, NJ; Peach Bottom, PA as a contractor for maintenance outages and as
part of the operating staff for 2 of them. They ranged from 600 MW to 1300 MW.

In all of these the internal cooling for the generator was recirculating gaseous
hydrogen. The H2 is recirced through the windings picking up heat and then pass
through water cooled heat exchangers to give up the heat. The systems are
built into the generator casings so unless you were part of the disassembly you
would not know of the specifics.

To use air the generators would have to be much larger to provide sufficient
surface area to remove the heat generated by resistance in the windings (i.e. it
is cheaper to build it this way). They have elaborate bearing seals, and no
oxygen inside (nitrogen purged for maintenance or prior to filling for
operation) to prevent combustion. So doggie-donuts yourself.

JJ

Having worked in a 1000 MW generating station, I can safely say this is
doggie-donuts. I wouldn't have hydrogen (or any explosive gas) within
100ft of a high-power generator!

Lloyd Sumpter

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply
James Johnson

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:20:28 GMT, Rick wrote:

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

The wheel.

The area of the wheel exposed to the gas is so small compared to the
area of the tire producing the heat that I doubt it has much of any
practical value in dissipation of heat above and beyond air flow over
and radiation from the tire itself.

I agree, the effect of using hydrogen would be minimal, but slightly larger than
using nitrogen. My suggestion to use it was me being a wise a$$.

JJ

Though it doesn't apply much to boat trailer tires, the heat
conductivity of the gas would work against tire cooling in the case of
race cars and aircraft since it would serve to increase the rate of tire
heating in heavy brake application. Many aircraft tire failures are due
to overheated brakes, heating the wheels to the point of causing the
tires to blow out or burn, not from heat generated by the tires themselves.

Rick

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply
Rick

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

Yeah, right. But not over and over

Well, duh ...

and if that does happen, i.e.,
stopping the plane with the remaining runway after an aborted takeoff,
you're almost guaranteed a brake fire.

Not true. But that was the point of my original statement, that the
tires are more likely to be heated by the wheels and brakes than cooled
by them.

... if a heavy gets up to takeoff speed on most runways, aborts
and only has the brakes to stop it, chances are it's gonna go off the
end of the runway.

Not really apples to apples. RTO's at V1 are rare in any event and when
they do occur it is likely because of a tire, or multiple tire failures
so there is little braking available in any event.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that thrust reversers provide
little braking at high speeds. They way they work, they really *only*
provide braking at high speed and very little at low speed. They are
the vast majority of braking at landing speed.

They are aerodynamically most efficient at high speeds but they do not
provide the majority of braking nor are they required to be used or even
desired at all times. They cannot be used until the engine is at idle,
there is weight on the wheels, they buckets have cycled open, and the
engine spooled up again. By this time the autobraking has slowed the
aircraft considerably. They must not be used below around 60 knots to
prevent compressor stalls and sucking up garbage. They are useful only
in a very narrow range, not at the highest speed where brakes are needed
most or at the rollout when autobraking is off and manual braking is
used. They are hard on engines and the modern design trend is toward no
reversers, depending instead on carbon brakes.

Rick

Steven Shelikoff

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 17:00:12 GMT, Rick wrote:

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

[...]

They really only work well at high speeds, not low speeds.

desired at all times. They cannot be used until the engine is at idle,

They may not be used or desired at all times, only about 99% of the
time.

there is weight on the wheels, they buckets have cycled open, and the
engine spooled up again. By this time the autobraking has slowed the
aircraft considerably. They must not be used below around 60 knots to
prevent compressor stalls and sucking up garbage. They are useful only
in a very narrow range, not at the highest speed where brakes are needed
most or at the rollout when autobraking is off and manual braking is
used. They are hard on engines and the modern design trend is toward no
reversers, depending instead on carbon brakes.

None of that changes the fact that aircraft braking requirements and
capabilites and tire heating have nothing to do with race car or boat
trailer braking or tire heating. While it may be true for aircraft
braking that the tire is more likely to be heated by the brakes then by
the heat from tire friction, that's not true for most types of racing
and especially NASCAR restrictor plate racing, when the brakes aren't
even used but the tires still get very hot and might benefit from
cooling through the wheel.

Steve
Rick

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

None of that changes the fact that aircraft braking requirements and
capabilites and tire heating have nothing to do with race car or boat
trailer braking or tire heating.

Never said it did, I just made the statement that tires are more likely
to be heated than cooled by the wheels and brakes and used aircraft
tires as a spectacular example.

While it may be true for aircraft
braking that the tire is more likely to be heated by the brakes then by
the heat from tire friction, that's not true for most types of racing
and especially NASCAR restrictor plate racing, when the brakes aren't
even used but the tires still get very hot and might benefit from
cooling through the wheel.

I have absolutely no idea what "restrictor plate racing" is, what do you
do, run with them? 8-)

If the brakes are never used then the brakes won't add heat. Unless the
area of the wheel exposed to the filling gas is a fair proportion of the
area of the sidewalls then I can't see much heat going out the wheels
regardless of the gas used. Are you sure there is a large area of wheel
surface exposed anyway?

I haven't seen a racing tire up close and personal but if they are like
most other tires the bead/s run pretty close from side to side and it
doesn't appear that there is much metal not covered by rubber in most
wheels.

Anyway, I don't buy the "runs cooler" argument for nitrogen any more
than anyone should buy the "nitrogen expands less" nonsense.

Rick

Mark Browne

snip

If the brakes are never used then the brakes won't add heat. Unless the
area of the wheel exposed to the filling gas is a fair proportion of the
area of the sidewalls then I can't see much heat going out the wheels
regardless of the gas used. Are you sure there is a large area of wheel
surface exposed anyway?

I haven't seen a racing tire up close and personal but if they are like
most other tires the bead/s run pretty close from side to side and it
doesn't appear that there is much metal not covered by rubber in most
wheels.

I have done a fair amount of measurements of tire temperature and heating
using IR sensors in the wheel wells under racing conditions. The data was
recorded with a data aquisition unit during racing, and downloaded to a
laptop between races. We did 10 sample per second, with 1 degree resolution.
I can state with confidence that a large portion of the tire cooling is due
to airblast on the tire carcass. The percentage of cooling by the metal
wheel is a very small fraction of the total heat dissipation.

Going a step further, with certain high end racers, the inner safety liner
completely insulates the metal wheel from the fill gas and tire face. This
does not seem to affect the heat balance in any measureable way.

Anyway, I don't buy the "runs cooler" argument for nitrogen any more
than anyone should buy the "nitrogen expands less" nonsense.

I am not sure what you have taken from this thread. Conventional wisdom is
that the measured pressure increase is due to liquid water flashing to steam
above the boiling point of water. It has nothing to do with the fraction of
oxygen or nitrogen in the fill gas. In the turns NASCAR and F1 cars run peak
tire temperatures between 225 and 250 degrees F. I leave it to you to offer
an alternate explanation of the measured 4 to 16 PSI jump (nominal 30 PSI)
under racing conditions. This increase is enough to completely scuttle
chassis tuning. While you are at it, explain how switching from running
"air" to dry nitrogen combined with a few forced purge-fill cycles
eliminates the effect - the tires pressure changes pretty much as predicted
by PV/T = PV/T.

This stuff is not conjecture - it is measured data. If it does not match
your expectations - perhaps it is time to reexamine your expectations.

Mark Browne

Rick

Mark Browne wrote:

I am not sure what you have taken from this thread. Conventional wisdom is
that the measured pressure increase is due to liquid water flashing to steam
above the boiling point of water. It has nothing to do with the fraction of
oxygen or nitrogen in the fill gas.

I don't place much weight in "conventional wisdom" when it comes to
physical phenomenon that follow well defined laws of physics.

Water will not" flash to steam" at the pressures and temperatures you
describe.

In the turns NASCAR and F1 cars run peak
tire temperatures between 225 and 250 degrees F. I leave it to you to offer
an alternate explanation of the measured 4 to 16 PSI jump (nominal 30 PSI)

If there was liquid water in the tire at the start of the race, at say
80 degrees F, all but the tiny amount required to saturate the filling
gas would still be liquid. The filling gas will follow the gas laws.

At 34 psig the gas temperature would have to reach approximately 280
degrees F to evaporate any liquid water in the tire.

At 46 psig the gas temperature would have to reach approximately 290
degrees F to evaporate any liquid water in the tire.

I have no idea what the tire volume is but if you do you can calculate
the weight of water present in the filling gas as a saturated vapor at
atmospheric pressure and temperature and if you know there is liquid
water flying around in the tire you can calculate what temperature and
pressure it takes for that liquid to change state.

under racing conditions. This increase is enough to completely scuttle
chassis tuning. While you are at it, explain how switching from running
"air" to dry nitrogen combined with a few forced purge-fill cycles
eliminates the effect - the tires pressure changes pretty much as predicted
by PV/T = PV/T.

IT looks like you are ignoring the vapor pressure of water and you
probably do not calculate the partial pressure of the water vapor in the
air filled tire. You are using the wrong gas law to begin with and when
you get a dry tire with a dry gas the tire acts as predicted.

This stuff is not conjecture - it is measured data. If it does not
match your expectations - perhaps it is time to reexamine your
expectations.

I am only a simple mechanic, it is my place to follow the laws, not to
change them.

The gas laws are not predicated on anyone's "expectations" they are
physical phenomena that scientists and engineers have used for a couple
of hundred years with great reliability and repeatability. It appears
that the only place they are held in abeyance is the race track.

If I am missing something here I would really like to know what it is.
It is an interesting subject.

Rick

Steven Shelikoff

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 02:20:32 GMT, Rick wrote:

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

None of that changes the fact that aircraft braking requirements and
capabilites and tire heating have nothing to do with race car or boat
trailer braking or tire heating.

Never said it did, I just made the statement that tires are more likely
to be heated than cooled by the wheels and brakes and used aircraft
tires as a spectacular example.

And I'm just saying that while in racing, the brake rotors themselves
can get extremely hot during braking, if there is so little heat taken
away that the rotors alone are causing the wheels to be heated up to
over 250 degrees then something's wrong with the setup. The same
statement might not be true for an airplane, where the brakes are
applied hard for only a short time and then they have hours to cool
down.

While it may be true for aircraft
braking that the tire is more likely to be heated by the brakes then by
the heat from tire friction, that's not true for most types of racing
and especially NASCAR restrictor plate racing, when the brakes aren't
even used but the tires still get very hot and might benefit from
cooling through the wheel.

I have absolutely no idea what "restrictor plate racing" is, what do you
do, run with them? 8-)

Uh, yeah. You run with them. They limit the horsepower available on
the superspeedways to around half of what it normally available. That
way, the cars never get going fast enough to have to use the brakes.

If the brakes are never used then the brakes won't add heat. Unless the
area of the wheel exposed to the filling gas is a fair proportion of the
area of the sidewalls then I can't see much heat going out the wheels
regardless of the gas used. Are you sure there is a large area of wheel
surface exposed anyway?

If there's not an inner liner, then yes, a large area is exposed. An
inner liner is used for some races and not for others.

As a quick and dirty example, Nascar wheels are 15" dia x 9.5" wide.
The tires are 27.5" dia with a width of not more then 13.2". To make
things easier, assume flat sidewalls, which will make the area
calculation below come out on the low side. The sidewall area is around
2*(27.5-15)*pi = 78 sq in. Also ssume the wheel is a cylinder, which
will also make the area calculation come out on the low side so it sorta
cancels out. Also, assume that the bead takes up around 1/2" of the
wheel width on each side even though it's a little less, so the area
calculation of the wheel area will be a bit low. So the surface area of
the metal inside the tire is around 15*8.5*pi = 400 sq in, or about 5
times the sidewall area.

I haven't seen a racing tire up close and personal but if they are like
most other tires the bead/s run pretty close from side to side and it
doesn't appear that there is much metal not covered by rubber in most
wheels.

If you're using passenger cars as your example, you need to look at
today's larger and wider wheels mounted with very low profile tires.
They're closer to most racing wheel profiles. The area of the wheel
inside the tire is significant.

Anyway, I don't buy the "runs cooler" argument for nitrogen any more
than anyone should buy the "nitrogen expands less" nonsense.

I don't buy the "runs cooler" argument either. But I do buy the
argument that you can control the amount of moisture in the gas easier
if you're filling it with nitrogen then when plain compressed air.
There's no reason I can see that extremely dry compressed air shouldn't
work as good as nitrogen. But it may be cheaper and easier for the
teams to buy a tank of compressed nitrogen then to dry compressed air to
the same level of water content.

Steve