Rick

Default Trailer Tires Overheating.

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

None of that changes the fact that aircraft braking requirements and
capabilites and tire heating have nothing to do with race car or boat
trailer braking or tire heating.

Never said it did, I just made the statement that tires are more likely
to be heated than cooled by the wheels and brakes and used aircraft
tires as a spectacular example.

While it may be true for aircraft
braking that the tire is more likely to be heated by the brakes then by
the heat from tire friction, that's not true for most types of racing
and especially NASCAR restrictor plate racing, when the brakes aren't
even used but the tires still get very hot and might benefit from
cooling through the wheel.

I have absolutely no idea what "restrictor plate racing" is, what do you
do, run with them? 8-)

If the brakes are never used then the brakes won't add heat. Unless the
area of the wheel exposed to the filling gas is a fair proportion of the
area of the sidewalls then I can't see much heat going out the wheels
regardless of the gas used. Are you sure there is a large area of wheel
surface exposed anyway?

I haven't seen a racing tire up close and personal but if they are like
most other tires the bead/s run pretty close from side to side and it
doesn't appear that there is much metal not covered by rubber in most
wheels.

Anyway, I don't buy the "runs cooler" argument for nitrogen any more
than anyone should buy the "nitrogen expands less" nonsense.

Rick