Default Interesting Uber ride

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 14:14:03 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

On 12/3/15 1:14 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/3/2015 12:50 PM, Justan Olphart wrote:
On 12/3/2015 4:46 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/3/2015 2:24 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:43:58 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:47:51 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 12/2/2015 4:58 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 08:09:12 -0500, Justan Olphart

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in
balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more
sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would
get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a
lot
of people are running 75+.

Problem is most of the east coast roads aren't designed for driving
over
60. Too congested, too many curves without adequate banking, etc.
There are a few places in the south and Florida on I-95 that 75-80
mph
is safe but few places north of there.

Most real interstates are designed for 80. That may not apply to
every
Northeastern road that was upgraded and renamed I-95 tho. Most of the
interstate 95 south of DC is suitable for 80 except the Richmond Toll
road that was renamed and maybe some parts down the East Coast of
Florida.
I75 is pretty much speedy friendly all the way to Atlanta. (far as I
have gone north on it) It pretty much stays out of town all the
way to
FTL although it's is being encroached on in Ft Myers/Naples.
The two counties and state are building roads on both sides of 75 to
pull the local traffic off of it

The biggest things that are making our interstates unsafe at speed
are inattentive drivers (cell phones!) and plain old stupid people.
Many don't follow the basic rule of "slower traffic keep right",
which is a law in SC. Driving should be your first job, not
something you do when texting, talking on your phone, screwing around
with the radio, etc. Our society is not taught that, unfortunately.

I have always scheduled my MdFlorida trips so I do Virginia to the
Georgia line at night. Traffic is always light and it is usually just
me and the truckers. We move right along.
If I left my house in Md (south of DC) at around 2100, I was in North
Carolina shortly after midnight and crossing the Florida State line at
sunup. Going back I left St Pete around 1500 and had a similar
schedule in reverse, crossing the Potomac River Bridge north of
Dahlgren at sunup.

I did many roundtrips from MA to Jupiter, FL driving everything from BMW
740's to 36' Class A motorhomes to pickups hauling boats or trailers. I
once drove the BMW non-stop, other than for gas and grabbing something
to eat. Never again.

The worst part was from MA to just south of Virginia if I took I-95.
Getting through the southern part of CT and then NY, NJ, Delaware and
Maryland was always a nightmare, regardless of what time I left. The
I-84/I-81 route was better but considerably longer. The Carolina's were
usually ok unless you hit road construction that seemed like it was
going on forever. Navigating a big Class A through the winding, narrow
Jersey barriers that were set up was always a thrill. Glad I don't
make that trip anymore.

The last long distance trip I took was last December when
I drove to Mt. Pleasant, SC to see my son and his family over the
Christmas holidays.

I think the most pleasurable trip I took was driving out to Denver,
Colorado in the F-350 diesel hauling a car trailer to pick up a '55 Ford
F-100. The roads west of Illinois were straight as an arrow for miles
upon miles with almost no traffic. I took my time, taking 3 days to get
to Denver. Enjoyed that trip.

I'd much rather do the trip to Florida by boat.

I84, I81, I77 is my preferred way to go although I don't like Scranton
very much.

With your rig I can completely understand why, especially with a toad.

The one trip to and back from Florida in that POS Pace Arrow I had was
via your preferred route. First sign of trouble was picking up a rock
between the rear tires, causing a blowout on the inner one. Spent the
night in a truck repair parking lot while they ordered a new tire.

Then, noticed in the rear mirror that half the side of the RV was
flapping in the wind. A whole section had ripped the screws out of the
wooden blocks that where supposed to hold it in place. I discovered
then that the wooden blocks were simply glued in place and they used
sheetrock screws to hold the side panels to the blocks.

Next, (a problem you probably remember) ... lost the brakes. Brake line
let go on the way to a local KOA. I could smell the fluid.
Monster tow truck showed up to haul it away to that repair place, where
it sat for weeks. Remember helping me clean out the stupid refrigerator
after the propane tank ran out of gas?

Then I discovered the rubber fuel line running from the gas tank to the
genny had been installed so it was chaffing on a section of the frame
that had been cut with a torch but left rough, slag and all.

That was the final nail in the coffin for that POS. Got rid of it fast.

I bought it brand spanking new. Learned my lesson about RV's
manufactured by Fleetwood.

Interesting. I really don't get the appeal of these large camper/RV's.
If you want to enjoy nature and not sleep in a tent, the smaller campers
seem more than adequate. The behemoths you see on the highway are
expensive to buy and expensive to run and maintain, and it would take a
hell of a lot of nights in expensive hotels to justify towing a
$75,000-$100,000 or more RV. And then you have to drive it to where you
are going.

On our recent drive up from Florida, we stayed at a recommended motel in
South Carolina. Brand new, perfectly fine for the night, and...$70.

I really don't get the appeal of sitting in a basement doing nothing but trying to
denigrate everyone else and what they do. If you want to enjoy sitting by yourself
below ground level, a small tornado shelter should be more than adequate. Of course,
you couldn't have six or eight folks over for dinner, but so what? That basement is
expensive to heat and maintain.

Stick with airplanes and other folks' bedbugs.

Oh, and most of the RVs being towed are not in the $100,000 range. Motorhomes are
another story.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hey, I have one of those. And I have it pretty well squared away now.
Must be time to sell it.

In the olden days they used to cut chassis rails and weld in pieces to
adjust chassis length. Now-adays they buy fronts and backs from mostly
freightliner and bolt them up to bridge sections made by or for the
coach builder. The old Chevy chassis was a POS. The only large gasser
you can get now is on a Ford school bus chassis.

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Johnnymop, my comment was in response to a post of Luddite, and not on
any of your little hobbies.

Our dining table seats 10 adults.

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I am not into the RV thing either but I can appreciate the reasons that
many are. The term "camper" or even "RV" is a misnomer for some of the
rigs people have. The larger, high quality ones are really rolling
homes and those who are into it enjoy traveling all over the country in
them. Certainly no more expensive (probably less) than a similar sized
boat to own, maintain and purchase fuel for and it's not restricted to
waterways only.

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

And I've fed 10 in my trailer. So what's your point?

Are you suggesting that one should not comment on a response made to someone else?
****, Harry, you'd never say anything.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You can't begin to compare the one you have to that POS Pace Arrow.

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

All that driving is not something I'd want to do.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/3/2015 1:12 PM, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/3/15 1:04 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 12:38:51 -0500, Justan Olphart
wrote:

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a lot
of people are running 75+.

I trained my petal foot to think about safety and fuel economy. That
usually means at or under the speed limit.

Little old ladies in Kias are telling you that you are #1 if you drive
around here.

I do 70 when possible on the interstates, but no more. I-95, the last
time I drove to Florida, was crowded. I take a special delight after
some yahoo blasts past me at more than 80 and see the guy pulled over a
few miles down the road by the police. My wife's new car gets 30+ mpg at
70 mph. I like that.

My Ford F-250 gets better gas mileage at 75 mph than it does at 60-65
mph. Weird, but it has to do with the gearing and when the torque
converter locks and unlocks. If I keep the RPM's up high enough
so it can climb steep hills without the TC unlocking (or downshifting
out of overdrive), my gas mileage goes up to a whopping 15 mpg from
about 13. :-) Fortunately, I don't drive much or very far in it.
Last long distance trip was to SC, last December.

The adult day care center that I drive for has a fleet of high top,
handicapped equipped (power lift and strap-downs for wheelchairs) vans.
They are all Ford F-350 SuperDuties. Mileage is horrible ... I have
to fill mine 3 times a week sometimes ... but they are rugged. He used
to have GM and Chevy vans but gave up on them. They just didn't last,
usually having transmission failures and engine problems.

I do like my Chevy diesel. Got 20 mpg going to Williams, Az for
thanksgiving. Normal around town is 14.5

wrote:
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 14:14:03 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

Interesting. I really don't get the appeal of these large camper/RV's.
If you want to enjoy nature and not sleep in a tent, the smaller campers
seem more than adequate. The behemoths you see on the highway are
expensive to buy and expensive to run and maintain, and it would take a
hell of a lot of nights in expensive hotels to justify towing a
$75,000-$100,000 or more RV. And then you have to drive it to where you
are going.

On our recent drive up from Florida, we stayed at a recommended motel in
South Carolina. Brand new, perfectly fine for the night, and...$70.

We live a little higher up the food chain on the road, First Class air
fare, Rental crossover and $200+ a night suites. When we compared
notes with our RV driving neighbors, we still came out money ahead
based on their 2-3 trips a year.
If you are like John and go somewhere once or twice a month, the gap
narrows considerably.
If you just weekend off to nearby places and go a lot, the RV might
make a lot of sense.
It looked attractive in Alaska because rooms are few and far between.
They were also expensive for mediocre places. I just wouldn't want to
drive an RV all the way to Alaska.

I drove my truck and truck camper to Alaska 10 years ago. Would not do it
again. Lots of boring scenery on the way through Canada. Camper was
handy, as rooms were scarce. Talked to people driving a car, and they said
they had to drive short days and long days at times to get a room. If I
did it again, I would fly to AK and rent an RV. There were 3 other couples
on the trip, towing trailers. One 5th wheel and one pop up camper. Pop up
was a pain to setup and takedown for a one night stop. Plus crap mileage,
and you had to be careful if trying a side road.

Interesting boat ride on a 26 Twin Vee [email protected] General 5 March 29th 06 05:58 AM
Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club ("Morning Glory" ride) Garrison Hilliard General 5 July 8th 05 05:44 PM
On Topic: Interesting boat ride Gould 0738 General 3 September 15th 04 05:27 PM
OT : Jingoism uber allles Rick General 0 December 16th 03 06:41 AM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM