Default Interesting Uber ride

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 08:09:12 -0500, Justan Olphart
wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a lot
of people are running 75+.

wrote:

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

===

On occasion, more often 80 to 85. The car was always very solid at
that kind of speed - good tires of course, and everything in balance.

Europeans drive that fast all the time even faster in Germany. The
US, particularly the eastern states, has always been more sedate. I
see signs of change however. At one time anything over 70 would get
you a guaranteed ticket on the New York State Thruway. Nowadays a lot
of people are running 75+.

Problem is most of the east coast roads aren't designed for driving over
60. Too congested, too many curves without adequate banking, etc.
There are a few places in the south and Florida on I-95 that 75-80 mph
is safe but few places north of there.

Most real interstates are designed for 80. That may not apply to every
Northeastern road that was upgraded and renamed I-95 tho. Most of the
interstate 95 south of DC is suitable for 80 except the Richmond Toll
road that was renamed and maybe some parts down the East Coast of
Florida.
I75 is pretty much speedy friendly all the way to Atlanta. (far as I
have gone north on it) It pretty much stays out of town all the way to
FTL although it's is being encroached on in Ft Myers/Naples.
The two counties and state are building roads on both sides of 75 to
pull the local traffic off of it

wrote:

[...]

The biggest things that are making our interstates unsafe at speed are inattentive drivers (cell phones!) and plain old stupid people. Many don't follow the basic rule of "slower traffic keep right", which is a law in SC. Driving should be your first job, not something you do when texting, talking on your phone, screwing around with the radio, etc. Our society is not taught that, unfortunately.

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:43:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:47:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have always scheduled my MdFlorida trips so I do Virginia to the
Georgia line at night. Traffic is always light and it is usually just
me and the truckers. We move right along.
If I left my house in Md (south of DC) at around 2100, I was in North
Carolina shortly after midnight and crossing the Florida State line at
sunup. Going back I left St Pete around 1500 and had a similar
schedule in reverse, crossing the Potomac River Bridge north of
Dahlgren at sunup.

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:47:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I did many roundtrips from MA to Jupiter, FL driving everything from BMW
740's to 36' Class A motorhomes to pickups hauling boats or trailers. I
once drove the BMW non-stop, other than for gas and grabbing something
to eat. Never again.

The worst part was from MA to just south of Virginia if I took I-95.
Getting through the southern part of CT and then NY, NJ, Delaware and
Maryland was always a nightmare, regardless of what time I left. The
I-84/I-81 route was better but considerably longer. The Carolina's were
usually ok unless you hit road construction that seemed like it was
going on forever. Navigating a big Class A through the winding, narrow
Jersey barriers that were set up was always a thrill. Glad I don't
make that trip anymore.

The last long distance trip I took was last December when
I drove to Mt. Pleasant, SC to see my son and his family over the
Christmas holidays.

I think the most pleasurable trip I took was driving out to Denver,
Colorado in the F-350 diesel hauling a car trailer to pick up a '55 Ford
F-100. The roads west of Illinois were straight as an arrow for miles
upon miles with almost no traffic. I took my time, taking 3 days to get
to Denver. Enjoyed that trip.

I'd much rather do the trip to Florida by boat.

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 04:46:20 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

For some reason Md to St Pete seemed like a reasonable "straight
through" drive but tacking on the extra 100 miles or so to Ft Myers
was too much. I guess it is what you get used to. Since I moved here,
I have little reason to make the trip. When we go up we take the
mountain route and spend close to a week getting there. We fly back.

I do agree, starting south of DC makes it a lot more pleasant drive. I
really did not hit the interstate until right north of the Richmond
toll road and then it was 95 all the way to the Florida line where I
hopped off to A!A, 301 and 526 over to I75. (speed trap city in Waldo
although I was never stopped)
Sometimes I would stop at a rest stop and take a power nap in the
Carolinas for an hour or so but I usually just kept going if I had
started fresh. It was about 16 hours if you were running legal but if
I was working the "breaker breaker" and I had a trucker or two I knew
out there I have made it in 14 (a tad over 900 miles).
When I was dating my (now) wife I made that trip a lot ;-)

I usually came down once or twice a year to see the folks before then
but in 83 it was more like 6-7. I was working midnights, 10 on and 4
off and if you worked the "23:45" trick you could make that 5 days
off. Tack on a few vacation days and you had enough to make the trip
worthwhile. I could really stretch out 4 weeks of vacation.

wrote:

[...]

The ride from my house in MA to Jupiter, FL is just about 1500 miles.
Too long to do it non-stop. Other than that one time (which was
stupid), I'd go from MA to Richmond the first day, Richmond to
somewhere in Georgia the second and be in Jupiter by 1 or 2 pm on the
third day.

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:47:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 17:40:40 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When I visit my brother in NC, I leave the house at 5 am, in both directions. Works
well. I have to admit I'm not as comfortable riding the motorcycle at night as I used
to be.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Interesting boat ride on a 26 Twin Vee [email protected] General 5 March 29th 06 05:58 AM
Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club ("Morning Glory" ride) Garrison Hilliard General 5 July 8th 05 05:44 PM
On Topic: Interesting boat ride Gould 0738 General 3 September 15th 04 05:27 PM
OT : Jingoism uber allles Rick General 0 December 16th 03 06:41 AM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM