Default Interesting Uber ride

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 18:36:07 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 13:39:31 -0800, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

They gave the Tesla a score over 100. Never did that before. The reliability results
come from the owners who take the annual survey.

I haven't really looked at CR for years but when I was looking at
these things it looked to me that it was more the expectation of the
buyer than the absolute reliability. When I was looking at 2 virtually
identical cars, (like the GM "X" cars) using the same parts, the more
expensive cars got lower ratings than the cheaper one. I just assumed
a Cadillac owner was more of a complainer than a Chevy buyer if the
window motor was a little sluggish or the clock kept bad time.

wrote:
Our La jolla friend has moved to Naples but she does not drive (health
issue). She is an Uber person.
The other day she called for an Uber ride and a Tesla showed up.
That is not your average Uber I bet.
The guy said he was testing the idea of a upscale Uber.
Only in Naples I guess.

My wife's friend just moved to another area and bought a Tesla. Is signing
up with Uber.

The Tesla reliability is catching hell in the latest Consumer Reports. It still tops
the charts in the road tests though.

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

Lots of Tesla around here. I have a problem with a huge tax credit for
buying a $90,000 car, and driving to Los Angeles you with have to stop and
recharge or do a battery swap at Harris Ranch, or Lebec.

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 22:23:11 -0500,
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 20:42:53 -0500,
wrote:

Consumer Reports is always hard on any kind of performance car.

They gave the Tesla a score over 100. Never did that before. The reliability results
come from the owners who take the annual survey.

I haven't really looked at CR for years but when I was looking at
these things it looked to me that it was more the expectation of the
buyer than the absolute reliability. When I was looking at 2 virtually
identical cars, (like the GM "X" cars) using the same parts, the more
expensive cars got lower ratings than the cheaper one. I just assumed
a Cadillac owner was more of a complainer than a Chevy buyer if the
window motor was a little sluggish or the clock kept bad time.

===

Chances are that the Cadillac owners might have not only had higher
expectations but might have also have had experience with other cars
where things actually worked. We recently junked my wife's ancient
Honda Accord because the transmission was giving out after 18 years of
faithful service. Everything else on the car was still working
perfectly however like the A/C, power seats, power windows, power
mirrors, power sun roof, etc. None of that had ever needed servicing
in the entire 140K+ miles that we owned the car.

From my experience a Cadillac man is always a Cadillac man ... until
they aren't.
I can't imagine an Acura owner going back to a Cadillac.

wrote:

[...]

Did you drive the Honda 90 MPH down US 75?

American cars aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.
When I bought my car going on 10 years ago the only initial problem was
with the smart wheel. Since then I had some problems with the seals in
the AC. I just kept recharging it until the seals magically healed
themselves. I put a couple of batteries in it and tomorrow I am treating
it to a new set of sneakers. They have 10 years on them and slightly
less than 50,000 miles.

wrote:
[...]

The surveys, after the car identification process, asks about problem areas in 15-20
different areas, like electronics, suspension, transmission, steering, information
displays, etc. If a problem area is checked, then the questioning gets more direct
about the specific problem, days in shop, cost to repair, etc. The survey also asks
questions about routine maintenance costs.

If I were a Cadillac driver and had a beef, like Luddite with his Beemers, then I
could probably take my revenge on the survey. But, CR has probably got some
statistics package that would identify 'overzealous' problem reporters.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:

[...]

Cheap-assed tranny if you ask me. Only 18 years? Damn, what a piece of crap!

Could your propensity to kick it to 90mph whenever you were behind the wheel have
anything to do with that? How often did you hold the brake, race the engine, and let
go the brake to out run the Mustang next to you at a stop light.

You've already admitted to being a hot-rodder, so we'll leave those questions in the
'rhetorical' category!
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

wrote:

[...]

Other than the glow plugs, my truck has given me no problems. I'm thinking I got
ripped off with the first glow plug problem. The place said it was a bad plug and a
bad glow plug module. Cost me about $750.

A couple months ago the check engine light came on, the reader said glow plug #4.
This time I decided to attempt the replacement myself. Pain in the butt 'cause the
wheel well cover has to be removed to get to the damn thing. Anyway, got the new one
in and cranked the engine. Damn light still came on. Then a friend told me it might
take a few cycles for the computer to get itself straight. Sure enough, after about
my third trip somewhere the CE light stayed off.

The point is, I now wonder if the repair place actually ran the truck through a few
cycles before deciding the problem was more than the glow plug and replacing the
module. I suppose they could have, but I have my doubts.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!

Interesting boat ride on a 26 Twin Vee [email protected] General 5 March 29th 06 05:58 AM
Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club ("Morning Glory" ride) Garrison Hilliard General 5 July 8th 05 05:44 PM
On Topic: Interesting boat ride Gould 0738 General 3 September 15th 04 05:27 PM
OT : Jingoism uber allles Rick General 0 December 16th 03 06:41 AM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM