Himm

Default OT posts?

what are OT posts?

thunder

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:49:47 +0000, Himm wrote:

what are OT posts?

Off Topic
Doug Kanter

It stands for "off topic", theoretically unrelated to boating. I don't know
if it's newsgroup tradition or not, but it's done primarily for people who
might become fatally annoyed when clicking on the following subject line,
only to find that it's unrelated to boating:

"Bush Banned from Wal Mart After Swallowing Anti-Theft Bar Code Tag"

Washington Sunday 10/19/03
Wal Mart has requested that President Bush refrain from a planned fund
raising visit to several of their rural Virginia stores, after he swallowed
the anti-theft tag from a newly purchased copy of the video game "Warlords
IV - Heroes of Etheria". White House sources say Bush mistook the
rectangular plastic bar code for a stick of free gum. Lee Scott, Wal-Mart's
Chief Operating Officer and Vice Chairman said he's concerned about Bush
repeatedly setting off security alarms, which might be overly challenging to
store employees. "Our security staff completes a rigorous 30 minute training
course, but even so, we're concerned about them tackling Mr. Bush and
getting into an unfortunate scuffle with secret service personnel", said
Scott. "The White House's physician assures me that the president's problem
should pass within 48 hours, after which time he's welcome in any of our
stores".

Checkpoint Systems is Wal Mart's supplier for RFID merchandise tags. A
spokesperson said they've provided the White House with a full list of their
clientele so the president can avoid those merchants for the time being.

Clams Canino

Actually it's done as a courtesy for people who set their newsreader to
automaticly filter out OT posts.

-W

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

if it's newsgroup tradition or not, but it's done primarily for people who
might become fatally annoyed when clicking on the following subject line,
only to find that it's unrelated to boating:

Harry Krause

Clams Canino wrote:

Actually it's done as a courtesy for people who set their newsreader to
automaticly filter out OT posts.

-W

Speaking of newsreaders, so to speak, I've been playing around with the
full version of Agent again, and I still can't figure out why it is so
"popular."
It is a real kludge, and while it presents the user with a wide variety
of features that may be customized, there are lots of things it cannot
do without forcing the user to jump through many hoops.

As an example, setting it up to read posts emanating from a number of
servers - it can be done, but it takes considerable effort. And the
program doesn't make much effective use of the mouse right-clicks.
And...it is slow.

I far prefer Mozilla, even with its warts and occasional crashes.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Clams Canino

I just use Outlook Express, it came free with my Windoze... LOL

-W

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:CL6dneHdNo4JBw-iRVn- Speaking of newsreaders, so to speak, I've been
playing around with the
full version of Agent again, and I still can't figure out why it is so
"popular."

Harry Krause

Clams Canino wrote:

I just use Outlook Express, it came free with my Windoze... LOL

-W

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:CL6dneHdNo4JBw-iRVn- Speaking of newsreaders, so to speak, I've been
playing around with the
full version of Agent again, and I still can't figure out why it is so
"popular."

I've tried that one, too. Too Microsofty for me, even though the price
is right. Also, it wants to seek out and hook up with the Outlook email
servers of my various clients, then it gets all confused, because I have
a number of profiles to hook up with a number of servers. And I am not a
fan of MS Internet Explorer, either, though I do use it from time to time.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Clams Canino

I use IE and OE primarily because they are "here" and over time, you get to
know how to work around the quirks, or just get used to them. One thing I do
like about them, is the automatic self-patching feature. Seems when
Microsoft is made aware of a new leak in the code, a patch comes out that's
usually painless.

I've tried that one, too. Too Microsofty for me, even though the price
is right. Also, it wants to seek out and hook up with the Outlook email
servers of my various clients, then it gets all confused, because I have
a number of profiles to hook up with a number of servers. And I am not a
fan of MS Internet Explorer, either, though I do use it from time to time.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Uh-oh. Calif Bill won't like this one, either!

Bush-Cheney: Four More Wars

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I far prefer Mozilla, even with its warts and occasional crashes.

I use the NS/Moz browser, but I still stick with outlook express for news
because as far as I can tell, Moz won't let you keep "watched" message
threads at the top of the list. It'll mark them in read, but you still have
to browse the header list for them, which can be a real pain in the ass.