Jerry Steele

Default I think I need to get a life.

I've degenerated to posting on rec.boats.

Degenerate posts no less.

Sigh.

Jerry Steele

Mark Browne

"noah" wrote in message
On 26 Sep 2003 15:37:17 -0700, (Jerry Steele)
wrote:

I've degenerated to posting on rec.boats.

Degenerate posts no less.

Sigh.

Jerry Steele

LOL! ...I think it was all the mentions of body parts that got to
them. )
...but you are not the only one frustrated by
rec.politics.less-filling.more-taste.boats.

Try calling them bald, bad-tempered, old *******s.
Worked for me! )

...carry on.
noah

Jerry,

Us bad tempered old *******s (Ha! I still have hair) sit around chewing the
fat while we wait for on topic stuff.

If it were not for the chatter, we might only log in once a week or so to
see what is going on. I don't care about how much you like boats; there is
only so much to say about a boat. Now politics on the other hand ...

If the boating traffic content does not suit your liking, please keep in
mind that we are not the unpaid boating entertainment. I post boating stuff
when I have something (sadly, not all that often) but I answer when I feel
that I have something to contribute. If you don't like the frequency of
boating related posts, post something. Or search the archives on Google, and
see just *how* many things have been asked and answered here. You would be
hard pressed to find something that has *not* been asked about boats.

Actual boating posts don't always get an answer. It is not because of the
politics. Many posters are asking questions that nobody has an answer for -
or there is no good answer for it. I have seen several posts that are just
plain wrong-headed to the point where I don't want to interact with the
poster - some jet-ski posts come to mind. On a whole, this *is* a great
place to hang around if you love boats. It is clear that all of the regulars
are into "messing about with boats" and hanging around with people that
share that interest.

Shouting and name-calling are not a pretty thing in a bar; nobody likes a
nasty drunk! They are not all that welcome here. I know that in some circles
the day-to-day language has gotten a little raw, especially among the young.
Many of the fellows here (like myself) have grown up with a
leave-it-to-Beaver sensibility. Raw speech can jangle some nerves. Don't be
surprised if some interpret such speech as a deliberate attempt to inflame a
discussion. Talk the way you want to talk, but it is a matter of some
politeness to keep in mind that some of us have kids reading over their
shoulders in the family room.

Come in; sit down. Sip some of your favorite beverage. Tell us about your
boat, or ask us about ours. Ask about places or activities on or around the
water. Some of us know all sorts of things that you might find pretty
interesting; some of us just think we do - a normal crowd really!

Mark Browne

Bill Cole

"Mark Browne" wrote in message

Shouting and name-calling are not a pretty thing in a bar; nobody likes a
nasty drunk! They are not all that welcome here. I know that in some

circles
the day-to-day language has gotten a little raw, especially among the

young.
Mark Browne

Are you calling Harry, jps and Basslicker young immature kids? I really
don't know how young any of them are, but I agree with your other
description of them.

Gary Warner

"Mark Browne" wrote in message

right on.

noah

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:01:08 GMT, "Mark Browne"
wrote:

Us bad tempered old *******s (Ha! I still have hair) sit around chewing the
fat while we wait for on topic stuff.

If it were not for the chatter, we might only log in once a week or so to
see what is going on. I don't care about how much you like boats; there is
only so much to say about a boat. Now politics on the other hand ...

snipped good commentary

Mark, this is probably the best argument that I have read for the
inclusion of reasonable OT posting in rec.boats.

Thanks for posting it.

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.