Hoges in WA

Default Sailing upriver in Europe/France

Would appreciate advice on whether it is feasible to explore Europe along
the rivers. Are passage fees prohibitive? Are bridges probitive for most
mast heights? Is settling down for a few weeks at anchor and cycling about
permissible? What would be the common-sense limit size yacht assuming
travel was possible?

While winding my way through one site which dealt with group sailing in
France, I saw the comment that it was possible to go into France Atlantic
side and exit Mediterranean. Looking at the atlas made me no wiser on this
but it sort of started the preceding questions running through my mind.

I have been googling things like "Up the Douro..." etc etc and have had my
interest sparked by the prospect of extended retirement cruising to all the
places I wanted to see but work just got in the way.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

Wim Blankenstijn

"Hoges in WA" schreef in bericht
Would appreciate advice on whether it is feasible to explore Europe along
the rivers. Are passage fees prohibitive? Are bridges probitive for most
mast heights? Is settling down for a few weeks at anchor and cycling

about
permissible? What would be the common-sense limit size yacht assuming
travel was possible?

In the Netherland you can cruise quite some indent waters, perfect for
sailing and hardly any limits as to mast heigths. From the
Maas-Rhine-estuary in the south upto the IJsselmeer and Waddenzee in the
north.
More up-river (Rhine and Maas) you will find heigth limits of 8m, which is
not parctically. Unless you can lower your mast. On the other hand, the
Schelde (between Belgium and the Netherlands) you can sail to Antwerp.

Settling down some time for cycling around I would strongly recommend. You
easely find marina's where you can stay for some weeks as a guest.

Are you planning to sail from Australia, or do you intent to buy a boot in
Europe?

Happy salilng,
Wim.

Hoges in WA

Undecided about where to make the purchase. Each has its own advantages. If
I buy in Aus and sail there, then obviously the boat will be big enough to
do other trips. However, it may then be too big to go inland very far. If
I fly there and buy, I can reduce the size to allow me to go further inland
but then I can't bring it home easily. Perhaps there is a compromise. I
have a few years yet to finalise this idea. Thanks for the geographic
info - I'll google my way around them to see what pretty pictures come with
the results.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

"Wim Blankenstijn" wrote in message
[...]

Moores Family

Hoges in WA wrote:

[...]

G'day Hoges

I recently read a book by an Adelaide woman who, with hubby & son, did a
circumnav in a 40ish foot concrete ketch (called Just Lookin II),
including canaling through Europe from the Med to the Channel- he's
Dutch & they wanted to visit his rellies or something. Can't remember
the name of it at the moment, but it was in the local library (Gold
Coast), so you may find it in yours. If I can find it I'll let you
know.
JM
Moores Family

Moores Family wrote:

Hoges in WA wrote:

[...]

Found it- Book's called 'Oceans of Experience: a world voyage.' ANF
910.41 TRO Author is Yvonne Tromp. She's listed in wp, I can email
details if you want...
JM

Hoges in WA

That would be nice. I think it's one I should purchase. A work colleague
has just finished up and bought a Dymock's franchise - it'll give him
something to do chasing it up.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

"Moores Family" wrote in message
Moores Family wrote:

Hoges in WA wrote:

[...]

Bruce Woodburn

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
[...]

Spent last summer on canals in France.

There is a flat annual fee for canal use. I can't remember, but I think it
was less than $100.

You can go from North Sea to Med (or Black Sea via Danube) with mast folded.
There is also a route from Bordeaux to the Med

You need LOTS of fenders.

No practical size limit. We were on a 25m converted commercial barge
carrying 50tons of ballast. All French locks were standardized by Napoleon
for 30m Barges.

Cycling is fabulous along the canals.

This is a VERY SLOW way to see the countryside. There is often a lock every
few miles. Valves and doors are hand cranked. You can only move during
French "working hours" which means a 2hr lunch break for the lock keeper.
The bottom line is that you can cross France faster on foot. I'm not
kidding. I would sometimes walk ahead a few locks and wait for the barge to
catch up.

Try a Google search for the national canal system.

Bruce

Hoges in WA

Thanks for the tips. I spent hours last night googling away and found quite
a lot. Nevertheless, everyone has a little more to add and your info was no
exception.
Much appreciated.
--
Hoges in WA