Oke Fami

Default Motor Boat Sailing

I have recently started enjoying sailing and was considering a 35/36
ft sailing yacht.

However, my wife wants a more practical vessel that can be used to
'hop' around the island and go over to the mainland, quickly. Withouth
having to bother with rigging, etc.

Most of the sailing boats I have looked at (e.g Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
37) have engines of about 75HP. Is it possible to get a sailing boat
with an engine of up to 800 HP. She is also worried about piracy (we
live in Africa) and wants something that can get up to 35 Knots.

My question is it possible to get a sailing boat with a much bigger
engine (i.e. up to 800 HP).

Thanks

Oke Fami

Brian Combs

any good self respecting hydroplane with a rolls royce turbine engine will
get you the horsepower and by the way you will be able to outrun all but the
most determined and waterborne pirate. unfortunately they don't sail worth
a durn if you want that speed because the rigging will create a bit of drag
at speeds over 150 knots and if the rigging is a little bit out of tune it
is likely to provide uneven drag which in a hydro often had less than
desirable results. now if you don't mind keeping the speed down it might
sail sort of like a cat but of course it is probably going to give a little
more leeway than what you really want and likely won't point very high.
still if piracy is a serious concern the hydro is a choice to consider
seriously. now with a little bit of modification they make a very good
offensive sort of anti pirate boat but that involves installing 20mm cannon
in the bow. the cost is going to go up for that because such weapons are in
high demand in the middle east right now. still very few pirates will want
to tangle with a boat that can push over 150 knots and will come at them
with guns blazing.

yep, that would be a good choice

brian

Danny

Oke:
The issue you really are inquiring about is "hull speed." Hull speed is
determined by several things beside engine size. Even if you could mash an
800 HP engine into a sailboat, it wouldn't push it through the water any
faster than an engine that was intended by the designer.
Unless you buy a world class race boat, you're looking at speeds of 5-9
knots in most sailboats. In a long distance race you could always go farther
than most power boats. They need to be near a fuel dock more often.
The Piracy issue is a real consideration in Africa but not as likely in
other parts of the world. You may find a faster power boat might make you
wife more comfortable while in your home waters.
Best of luck!
Salty Bob

om...