Hoges in WA

Default Sailing upriver in Europe/France

Undecided about where to make the purchase. Each has its own advantages. If
I buy in Aus and sail there, then obviously the boat will be big enough to
do other trips. However, it may then be too big to go inland very far. If
I fly there and buy, I can reduce the size to allow me to go further inland
but then I can't bring it home easily. Perhaps there is a compromise. I
have a few years yet to finalise this idea. Thanks for the geographic
info - I'll google my way around them to see what pretty pictures come with
the results.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

"Wim Blankenstijn" wrote in message
"Hoges in WA" schreef in bericht
Would appreciate advice on whether it is feasible to explore Europe

along
the rivers. Are passage fees prohibitive? Are bridges probitive for

most
mast heights? Is settling down for a few weeks at anchor and cycling

about
permissible? What would be the common-sense limit size yacht assuming
travel was possible?

In the Netherland you can cruise quite some indent waters, perfect for
sailing and hardly any limits as to mast heigths. From the
Maas-Rhine-estuary in the south upto the IJsselmeer and Waddenzee in the
north.
More up-river (Rhine and Maas) you will find heigth limits of 8m, which is
not parctically. Unless you can lower your mast. On the other hand, the
Schelde (between Belgium and the Netherlands) you can sail to Antwerp.

Settling down some time for cycling around I would strongly recommend. You
easely find marina's where you can stay for some weeks as a guest.

Are you planning to sail from Australia, or do you intent to buy a boot in
Europe?

Happy salilng,
Wim.