Hoges in WA

Default Sailing upriver in Europe/France

Thanks for the tips. I spent hours last night googling away and found quite
a lot. Nevertheless, everyone has a little more to add and your info was no
exception.
Much appreciated.
--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

"Bruce Woodburn" wrote in message

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
Would appreciate advice on whether it is feasible to explore Europe

along
the rivers. Are passage fees prohibitive? Are bridges probitive for

most
mast heights? Is settling down for a few weeks at anchor and cycling

about
permissible? What would be the common-sense limit size yacht assuming
travel was possible?

While winding my way through one site which dealt with group sailing in
France, I saw the comment that it was possible to go into France

Atlantic
side and exit Mediterranean. Looking at the atlas made me no wiser on

this
but it sort of started the preceding questions running through my mind.

I have been googling things like "Up the Douro..." etc etc and have had

my
interest sparked by the prospect of extended retirement cruising to all

the
places I wanted to see but work just got in the way.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

Spent last summer on canals in France.

There is a flat annual fee for canal use. I can't remember, but I think it
was less than $100.

You can go from North Sea to Med (or Black Sea via Danube) with mast

folded.
There is also a route from Bordeaux to the Med

You need LOTS of fenders.

No practical size limit. We were on a 25m converted commercial barge
carrying 50tons of ballast. All French locks were standardized by Napoleon
for 30m Barges.

Cycling is fabulous along the canals.

This is a VERY SLOW way to see the countryside. There is often a lock

every
few miles. Valves and doors are hand cranked. You can only move during
French "working hours" which means a 2hr lunch break for the lock keeper.
The bottom line is that you can cross France faster on foot. I'm not
kidding. I would sometimes walk ahead a few locks and wait for the barge

catch up.

Try a Google search for the national canal system.

Bruce