Default 200 miles on one $1.00 charge.....

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:19:34 -0400, BAR wrote:

Electric cars have not advanced in 100 years.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evtech.shtml

===

That's not entirely true.

Battery technology has advanced a lot, and the Volt is a much more
comfortable, faster, safer and luxurious car than anything that
existed 100 years ago. I'd buy one now if the price was more in line.

Remind me to post a picture of my neighbors electric boat one of these
days. It looks better and better every time the price of fuel goes
up.

But that's not what FOX told him....

What advances in batteries have we made in the last 100 years?

You put energy in and you take energy out.

[...]

Reduced weight, higher power. Think Li. Carbon based nanotube
ultracapacitors, and on and on.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ecent-battery-
advances/

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ies-charge-up/

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:45:30 -0400, BAR wrote:

What advances in batteries have we made in the last 100 years?

You put energy in and you take energy out.

====

That's what batteries do of course - store energy for use at a later
time. How do you propose to advance that?

Energy stored per pound has advanced a lot. If you don't believe
that, take a look at the latest generation of cordless tools or laptop
computers.

Being able to store energy at a reasonable cost and weight is key to
making electric vehicles practical. Although the Volt is not yet the
ideal electric car, it is a step forward. Internal combustion
engines started off slowly also. Take a look at the automotive
engines of 100 years ago vs what we have today.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:18:08 -0400, iBoaterer wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:45:30 -0400, BAR wrote:

What advances in batteries have we made in the last 100 years?

You put energy in and you take energy out.

====

That's what batteries do of course - store energy for use at a later
time. How do you propose to advance that?

Energy stored per pound has advanced a lot. If you don't believe
that, take a look at the latest generation of cordless tools or laptop
computers.

Being able to store energy at a reasonable cost and weight is key to
making electric vehicles practical. Although the Volt is not yet the
ideal electric car, it is a step forward. Internal combustion
engines started off slowly also. Take a look at the automotive
engines of 100 years ago vs what we have today.

The Tesla is quite the technological car though!

===

The Tesla is a fine example of what you can do if cost is no object.
Since they are in a high end specialty market there is not a lot of
pressure to lower the cost but it's nice to see an example of what is
doable.

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:43:29 AM UTC-4, Wayne. B wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:45:30 -0400, BAR wrote:

What advances in batteries have we made in the last 100 years?

You put energy in and you take energy out.

====

That's what batteries do of course - store energy for use at a later

time. How do you propose to advance that?

Energy stored per pound has advanced a lot. If you don't believe
that, take a look at the latest generation of cordless tools or laptop
computers.

I fly R/C. The advances in batteries (Li-Po and Li-Ion), and in the electric motors and their controllers, have enabled electric airplanes to be competetive performance-wise with their glow fuel powered counterparts.

The downside is the need to re-charge after every flight, and the cost. You can buy a glow motor and a lot of fuel for the cost of a motor, controller, batteries, and special charger.

[...]

I've heard it all before. I know all about charging and discharging
cycles and issues.

The materials may have improved but, the basic battery is still the
same. You charge it, you discharge it, you charge it and the cycle keeps
repeating until the battery wears out.

6 miles to go Wally ASA 0 February 7th 05 10:07 PM
22 miles to go Wally ASA 0 February 7th 05 09:35 PM
75 miles to go Wally ASA 1 February 7th 05 06:57 PM
95 miles to go Wally ASA 0 February 7th 05 05:28 PM
FUEL GAUGE OUT__YAMAHA 200 O/B, MC Barefoot 200 [email protected] General 0 November 25th 03 04:45 PM