Default What Will GE Force Its People To Drive Now

In article , dump-on-
says...

On 3/5/12 2:18 PM, JustWait wrote:
On 3/5/2012 1:58 PM, iBoaterer wrote:
In ,
says...

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 13:33:35 -0500, wrote:

On 3/5/2012 11:03 AM, Happy John wrote:
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:51:10 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:19:14 -0500, X ` Man
wrote:
On 3/5/12 9:12 AM, Happy John wrote:
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 08:33:12 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 08:20:52 -0500, Happy

wrote:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 21:57:19 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 18:48:21 -0500,

wrote:

They said they
were gonna' do it. I know most of you here aren't bothered by
the
price
of gas, but that nearly 75 extra dollars a week we are
spending
is
killing us....

===

I think everyone is affected by the price of gas to one extent
or
another. My suggestion to people who do a lot of driving is
get a
more fuel efficient vehicle if at all possible. My truck is
getting
expensive at $80+ per fill up. I find it very strange that we
don't
have the large variety of small, fuel efficient diesels like
they
do
in Europe. My gut feel is that it is yet another
head-in-the-sand
Detroit issue. Last year we drove a full size Volkswagon
diesel
van
through the mountains of France, Switzerland and northern
Italy.
It
had plenty of power, seating for 6 adults, and a huge amount
of
luggage space. Average fuel economy was better than 20 mpg.

Good point. If the VW diesel van had not been withdrawn from
the US
market, that's probably what
we'd have been doing our camping in. Of course, the Mercedes
Sprinter is available, but they ain't
cheap.

What you just bought is way more beterer :-)

Well, it's definitely roomierer!

Lots of room to store a spare 500-gallon fuel tank? :)
Seriously, what sort of mileage do you anticipate? I hope you get
at
least 10 mpg.

I'd be tickled pink if my barge got even close to 10 MPG.

I expect to get about 12-14 with the trailer. I'm considering one
of these, but don't know if
they're worthwhile:
http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=2 I
think I'll start a separate thread to
see if anyone knows anything about them.

And, BTW, I don't think Harry can ask something serious, which is
why I responded to you.

If that thing can get your engine to open it's mouth wider it might be
worth the 600 bucks. Otherwise dunno what you can do.

A few of the camping forum guys recommend getting the smog crap off
the engine. But, they don't get
specific enough.

You'll void any warranty you have doing that.

IIRC, it's a federal rap too.... Maybe that's just if a garage does it...

What would Rush do?

Why don't you ask him.

Default Told you the Volt was dead...

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 09:20:57 -0500, JustWait
wrote:

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2012...lectric-lemon/

Told you, and you laughed... snerk Sometimes it pays to look at the
world with an open mind...

Maybe if all of the whiny-ass neo-cons would quit badmouthing the car,
people would buy it. Maybe you WANT to continue supporting Arab Oil.

Why would we stop bad mouthing a car that is a useless pile of junk? I
have already proved that you can buy a car for $10,000 new and drive it
for hundreds of thousands of miles before you reach the acquisition cost
of a Volt.

I don't want to support Arab Oil, I want to support US Oil. Drill here,
drill now.

Oil is a finite resource. Let alone old technology.

Oil is a new technology. It is only about 170 years old.

Now that's the typical Republican response to technology!

You said the Volt was dead, obviously, you are entirely wrong again. A
five week suspension in production is hardly a death.

We will see if they restart production. They have dealers who refuse to
order Volt's and who refuse to have Volts pushed onto them. There must
be a reason that the Chevy's own dealers don't want the cars on their
lots.

Cite?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ers-rejection-
volt-allocation/

http://www.dailytech.com/Some+Chevro...g+on+Volt+EVs+
After+Fire+Concerns+Dwindling+Customer+Interest/article23852.htm

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...-green-%E2%80%
9Cfield-dreams%E2%80%9D

And NONE of those are peer reviewed studies, so it's just hearsay and
speculation, right?

I never said they were peer reviewed studies. You wanted cites to
support my argument that Chevy dealers did not want Volt's on their lots
because they were hard to sell.

But using your standards, they have to be peer reviewed studies to be
taken seriously.

The medical profession has higher standards than the news profession, if
you can call it a profession.

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 13:37:27 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 09:35:24 -0500, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2012...lectric-lemon/

Told you, and you laughed... snerk Sometimes it pays to look at the
world with an open mind...

Jeffrey Immelt, the CEO of GE who doesn't pay taxes, will have to find
another vehicle to force his people who have company cars to purchase
and drive.

http://gas2.org/2012/02/20/ge-forcin...o-chevy-volts/

If my employer "forced" me to drive a company car, I wouldn't bitch
about who made it.

But maybe you feel entitled to force your employer to chose the car of
YOUR choice?

I have never had a job where my employer provided me with a car or a car
allowance.

I haven't either and if I had, I wouldn't be looking that gift horse
in the mouth.

Why would you?

It depends. My brother-in-law received a car allowance each month. The
allowance was to include the lease on the vehicle, insurance,
maintenance and fuel costs. The car he chose from the list of vehicles
was a gas pig. He was busting through hi allowance each month due to the
fuel costs.

Then why did he choose a gas pig?

It was on the list of approved vehicles.

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 08:37:06 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 13:35:14 -0500, BAR wrote:

The jury is in on electric cars. They are the future. The

problem is
that there hasn't been enough R&D to make them feasible yet.

The hybrid, gas-electric, is just a diesel-electric locomotive

downsized
with the added benefit of pulling the electricity generated from
breaking and coasting to charge the batteries. The all electric

needs
needs work with storing enough power to be useful over a longer

period
of time and distance.

===

I think we both agree on most of those points. Where we seem to
disagree is whether or not it makes sense to roll out half a

loaf.

Knowing full well the limitations of half a loaf, I still say yes.
The reason being that getting some electric cars on the road

starts to
get people thinking about the infrastucture issues (like charging
stations and better batteries). Same thing with alternative

energy
like wind and solar. If you don't start rolling some of this out

the public you end up with a perpetual chicken and egg syndrome

where
you can't have the chicken because you don't yet have an egg and

vice
versa. There are also a lot of people whose transportation needs
would be well served right now by a car like the Volt. The

problem
is price of course, and prices will not come down until there is
economy of scale, with the engineering and tooling costs amortized
across a wider base. I could use a Volt right now if the price

was
right. It would be great for running short errands and the like,
running on gas for the occasional longer trip.

You are 100% correct, but it just gives the far right wing the

ability
to say SEE, new technology is BAD....

Got your Cheby Volt yet? Didn't think so. Me, being moderate and
slightly right leaning, prefers to wait till the elec car matures and
shakes out most of the bugs. Buyers who must be on the bleeding edge
will pay dearly for the privilage of owning a product that ain't
quite there yet.

By the way, you are far too polarîzed. A common trait among democrats.

What makes you think I'm a democrat, to start with? Also, Scotty and BAR
claim that there will never be an electric car that works!

I never said that there will never be an electric car. I have said that
the technology is not available at this time to make them useful. Lion
technology has a heat problem that they haven't been able to solve. You
are lucky that you can take your cellphone and computer on airplanes.
Most bulk shipments of Lion batteries have to be specially packaged or
shipped via surface carrier.

Power density and recycling are the biggest problems with electric cars
at this time. These issues will be resolved in time but, until then
someone else can be on the bleeding edge of this technology.

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:47:44 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:
[...]

Never say never.
I'll bet you are a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.:-)

Most Democrats are fiscally conservative when it comes to their own
money, however, when it comes to your money they are as fiscally liberal
as they can be.

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:20:57 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

[...]

like wind and solar. If you don't start rolling some of this out to
the public you end up with a perpetual chicken and egg syndrome where
you can't have the chicken because you don't yet have an egg and vice
versa. There are also a lot of people whose transportation needs
would be well served right now by a car like the Volt. The problem
is price of course, and prices will not come down until there is
economy of scale, with the engineering and tooling costs amortized
across a wider base. I could use a Volt right now if the price was
right. It would be great for running short errands and the like,
running on gas for the occasional longer trip.

Yes. This is the lesson unlearned in the 70's. Can we really afford to
let this go again?

The lesson from the 70's was, drill here, drill now.

Bull****.

If we had drilled here and drilled now in the 70's we would not have had
to worry about the middle east at all. They could have ****ed all over
each other and it would not have mattered to us in the US because we
would have had our own oil being pumped from our own yards.

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

On 3/4/2012 5:20 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 13:35:14 -0500, wrote:

[...]

The problem Wayne, is the administration is trying to make these cars
feasible by raising the cost of the alternatives so they have talking
points... Right now it takes almost ten years to recover the price of
the car, when they get the gas up to 8 dollars a gallon, they can say
"look, you recover your investment in three years!"... They said they
were gonna' do it. I know most of you here aren't bothered by the price
of gas, but that nearly 75 extra dollars a week we are spending is
killing us....

New technology bad.... FOX tell me.

Never install version 1.0 software.

Never purchase the first versions of anything.

Let someone else work out the bugs.

[...]

The power grid isn't robust enough today. Adding more and more charging
stations is going to put more pressure on the system that it may not be
able to handle. It is like keeping the 100 amp service into your house
but re-wiring the inside to support 300 amps of continuous draw. Fancy
new charging stations on the old busted power grid is like putting
lipstick on a pig.

The heads on the wind turbines are still tearing themselves apart.

You can get lots of sunshine out in the middle of the desert but, you
have to push the electricity too far to make it useful.

My argument would be that you should buy a Prius or other small hybrid.
The vehicle is more practical and can be a replacement for a couple of
vehicles rather than just an around the neighborhood car.

New things bad... FOX tell me....

Ok, buy a Volt and tell me how much you enjoy owning it.

If I had to buy a Volt or Prius I would buy the Prius. Why, I don't have
to get a special station installed in my house in order to charge up the
battery. I don't have to worry about running the batteries down.

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

In article , dump-on-
says...

On 3/4/12 7:19 PM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

Man will never fly.

Power density. Power density. Power density.

There is a reason that the Wright brothers didn't use an electric motor
to power the airplane.

Because they didn't have the technology.

They had the technology.
http://edisontechcenter.org/ElectricCars.html

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

On 3/4/2012 1:35 PM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 09:35:24 -0500, wrote:

In ,
says...

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2012...lectric-lemon/

Told you, and you laughed...snerk Sometimes it pays to look at the
world with an open mind...

Jeffrey Immelt, the CEO of GE who doesn't pay taxes, will have to find
another vehicle to force his people who have company cars to purchase
and drive.

http://gas2.org/2012/02/20/ge-forcin...o-chevy-volts/

===

With all due respect Bert, that sounds like a regurgitation from a
Rush Limbaugh rant. The republican party needs to put a muzzle on
that dude before he alienates every swing voter in the country.

With all due respect Wayne, the Republican party doesn't control Rush
Limbaugh and Rush Limbaugh doesn't control the Republican party. Rush
will rise or fall based upon his audience and advertisers. The
Republican party leadership has lost its way and holds no sway over the
grass roots.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz needs to be muzzled due to her alienating swing
voters. Every time she speaks she lies.

The street has people on both sides ****ing off people on the other side
of the street.

I think the jury is still out on electric cars but any program at all
which encourages energy independence is a good thing in my opinion.

The jury is in on electric cars. They are the future. The problem is
that there hasn't been enough R&D to make them feasible yet.

The hybrid, gas-electric, is just a diesel-electric locomotive downsized
with the added benefit of pulling the electricity generated from
breaking and coasting to charge the batteries. The all electric needs
needs work with storing enough power to be useful over a longer period
of time and distance.

I say as long as batteries are what they are, the jury is indeed out,
and electric cars are dead...

Want to wager a LOT of money?

Provide proof as to who you are beyond all doubt and I may make a wager.

Charging 24 volt trolling batteries with a 12 volt system. Tim General 14 August 20th 11 12:22 AM
Dead Catch Capt Phil Dead Bob Cruising 7 February 12th 10 02:56 PM
The Best Way to Provide 24-volt for a 24-volt Trolling Motor? [email protected] General 8 November 16th 05 03:18 AM
Our Hero is Dead, Dead, Dead John Gaquin General 46 July 2nd 04 12:16 PM
Is it ok to run a 24 volt trolling motor on a 12 volt battery to test the motor to see if it actually runs? SDNomad General 5 October 9th 03 07:30 PM