SDNomad

Default Is it ok to run a 24 volt trolling motor on a 12 volt battery to test the motor to see if it actually runs?

Will it harm a 24 volt motor to run it on 12 volts just to make sure
the brushes and everything are good? I know it will run slow but will
it have any harmful effects?
Clams Canino

Not for a short test out of water - no.

-W

"SDNomad" wrote in message
om...
Will it harm a 24 volt motor to run it on 12 volts just to make sure
the brushes and everything are good? I know it will run slow but will
it have any harmful effects?

Rick

SDNomad wrote:

Will it harm a 24 volt motor to run it on 12 volts just to make sure
the brushes and everything are good? I know it will run slow but will
it have any harmful effects?

If you mean to run the motor for a moment in air (no load) just to check
that it turns over then you won't hurt it. You may not learn much about
its condition either but if the motor runs smoothly on 12V then it is
probably OK.

Who knows what the speed control will do though.

Rick

SDNomad

Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't know about not running it out
of the water. Will be sure never to do that for more than a few
seconds.

Satyrical

df--

I don't have experience with trolling motors, but I do have experience
with a variety of other electric motors. For example, the cheap speed
control for electric R/C boats is a resistor, dropping the voltage to
the motor to slow it down.

It seems to me that a 24V trolling motor will do just fine at 12V,
although only 1/2 as fast.