Tim Tim is offline

Default Man catches 881-pound tuna, seized by feds..

On Nov 25, 11:57*am, stp wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:28*am, Tim wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...und-tuna-seize...

Not only did he get his fish confiscated, but will lose out on about
$400,000.00

All because it was caught in a net and not by a rod.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy. First off they knew the
rules and everybody has to play by them. Second, that 400k dollar
figure quoted is a price paid for a very special high grade fish sold
at the Japanese market, not what was paid at the dock. Third, a fish
that died of exhaustion and was dragged dead for hours would have
flesh that would be all "burned up" and not worth that much. They
really need to be bled while the heart is still pumping. *Also, I
think it took them a couple of days to get to the dock after they
landed it. A $400k fish caught here today would be up for auction in
Japan tomorrow.

I think I read that the boat owner was complaining that he bought tuna
permits for all his boats and was threatening to cancel them. Big
deal, they cost $20 each, the same price I pay for my recreational
angling class HMS permit. I'm sure that they had rod and reel gear on
board just in case they came accross a school of busting bluefin. As
for poking a hole in the fish's mouth and saying they caught it on a
hook, after two hours in a net the Fed's could easily tell by the
condition of the fish that it was in a net. There is no permit
available for BFT trawl fishing.

I've only tried targeting BFT for the last two years. We have had a
couple of hook ups but haven't landed one yet. I've seen a few other
boats land giants and it is exciting, listening to the chatter on the
VHF then seeing the fish go into the boat.

The NMFS closed the rec fishery for GBFT back in July, meaning I
couldn't keep anything over 59" which is roughly 125lbs. Any BFT that
I catch I'm not allowed to sell and the rule is enforced with steep
penalties.

While we have been fishing for BFT every one of us has caught our
personal record Striped Bass. Guess what? Since we were outside the
three mile limit and in Federal waters we were required to throw them
back!

Well, no one is sympathizing with the guy with exception that he
caught such a huge fish (the wrong way) and couldn't keep it.

On 25/11/2011 2:50 PM, Tim wrote:
On Nov 25, 11:57 am, wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:28 am, wrote:

[...]

Why not give him credit for it, it wasn't intentional.
--
All successful people have one thing in common, if even for a moment
they think rationally.
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 25, 4:04*pm, Canuck57 wrote:
On 25/11/2011 2:50 PM, Tim wrote:

On Nov 25, 11:57 am, *wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:28 am, *wrote:

[...]

I would give him credit for it, but they didn't ask my opinion.
stp stp is offline

On 25/11/2011 2:50 PM, Tim wrote:

On Nov 25, 11:57 am, *wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:28 am, *wrote:

[...]

My "no sympathy" remark stems from the fact that somwhere in the
linked article he states something to the effect "Hey I bought
permits, nobody told me I couldn't keep it if I catch it in a net.
Poor me." He knew. Seems like a hard luck news story by an uninformed
reporter.

As far as giving him credit I also don't see where credit is due. By
odd chance they trapped a GBFT ib their fishing gear and killed a fish
that they shouldn't have. They are fortunate that they aren't getting
fined. Humpbacks get caught up in fishing gear all around Cape Cod
every year. Should the fisherman get credit for landing the big one? I
look at the situation as similar to hitting a ten point buck with your
truck. Would you deserve credit?

Fish in that size are not all that rare. Catching one one rod and reel
is. Around here many giants are taken by "stick boats", downeast
lobster boats with long pulpits where the "fisherman" stands and
throws a harpoon at the swimming tuna.

http://www.tunaboats.com

Often they are directed to the scholls by overhead spotter planes. Is
this sporting? I don't know but I do give them credit for their hard
work.

Speaking of charters, if you did catch a fish in this class on one you
don't get to keep it. It belongs to the boat who will then sell it.
Usually you get another charter free in return.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:10:54 -0500, BAR wrote:

On Nov 25, 8:43*am, X ` Man dump-on-conservati...@anywhere-you-
can.com wrote:
On 11/25/11 8:37 AM, BAR wrote:

In ,
says...

On 24/11/2011 5:56 PM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

On 24/11/2011 10:18 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 06:28:57 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...und-tuna-seize...

Not only did he get his fish confiscated, but will lose out on about
$400,000.00

All because it was caught in a net and not by a rod.

Too bad he didn't have a rod on the boat. Poke a hole in the fish's
mouth and spin a yarn. You might get on the cover of a fishing
magazine.
There are also the sponsorships, "I caught this fish on my Shakespeare
rod, with Trilene line *and my trusty Penn reel".

Rod? *881 pound tuna isn't coming in on a rod. *Might tear off your arms
if your rod is strapped to them.

Hooked on the rod and net used to bring it into the boat. Get creative.

I doubt a net, more likely gaff and winch.

How many people can lift 881 lbs in a net?

You have to be able to spin the fish tale with some bit of truth and a
lot of imagination.

D'oh. Large sportfishing boats going after really big fish usually have
tuna doors in the transom through which the really big fish can be
pulled if the fisherpersons are planning to keep the catch. Otherwise,
it is tag and release, usually done over the lower hullside near the stern.

Try fishing somewhere other than Red Lobster.

You wouldn't know a fish tale if it bit you in the ass.

I just posted a fishin' tale.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 02:04:35 -0800 (PST), stp
wrote:

As far as giving him credit I also don't see where credit is due. By
odd chance they trapped a GBFT ib their fishing gear and killed a fish
that they shouldn't have. They are fortunate that they aren't getting
fined. Humpbacks get caught up in fishing gear all around Cape Cod
every year. Should the fisherman get credit for landing the big one? I
look at the situation as similar to hitting a ten point buck with your
truck. Would you deserve credit?t

Around here, if you hit a deer you get to keep it. You get you vehicle
trashed but you get to keep the fifty bucks worth of meat. Seems only
fair.