Default What's Difference Between Inch-Pound Torque and Feet-Pound Torque?

I have a torque wrench and want to use it to torque the spark plug
properly. The instruction calls for torquing it to 20-feet-pound.
When I read the torque rating of other fittings, I came across some
rating as 60-inch-pound. What's difference between the "feet pound"
rating and "inch pound" torque rating? Which rating the torque wrench
is supposed to use? The instruction manual of the torque wrench
doesn't say anything about this, and the rating imprinted on the wrench
simply says "Pounds". Is 60-inch-pound the same as 5-feet-pound
(60/12=5)?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, I know that the torque rating is for dry thread, not for thread
that has been coated with anti-sieze compound. I have already read the
past posts about this. Thanks anyway.

Jay Chan

ACP ACP is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a torque wrench and want to use it to torque the spark plug
properly. The instruction calls for torquing it to 20-feet-pound.
When I read the torque rating of other fittings, I came across some
rating as 60-inch-pound. What's difference between the "feet pound"
rating and "inch pound" torque rating? Which rating the torque wrench
is supposed to use? The instruction manual of the torque wrench
doesn't say anything about this, and the rating imprinted on the wrench
simply says "Pounds". Is 60-inch-pound the same as 5-feet-pound
(60/12=5)?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, I know that the torque rating is for dry thread, not for thread
that has been coated with anti-sieze compound. I have already read the
past posts about this. Thanks anyway.

Jay Chan

This should help:

http://www.srtorque.com/torqcon/tcip.html

Gene wrote:
On 16 Oct 2006 09:39:16 -0700, "
wrote:

I have a torque wrench and want to use it to torque the spark plug
properly. The instruction calls for torquing it to 20-feet-pound.
When I read the torque rating of other fittings, I came across some
rating as 60-inch-pound. What's difference between the "feet pound"
rating and "inch pound" torque rating? Which rating the torque wrench
is supposed to use? The instruction manual of the torque wrench
doesn't say anything about this, and the rating imprinted on the wrench
simply says "Pounds". Is 60-inch-pound the same as 5-feet-pound
(60/12=5)?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, I know that the torque rating is for dry thread, not for thread
that has been coated with anti-sieze compound. I have already read the
past posts about this. Thanks anyway.

Jay Chan

Yes.

One foot pound = 12 inch pounds.

60 inch pounds is 5 foot pounds.... and you will probably need a 1/4"
drive torque wrench to do that....
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC. http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
-----------------

Thanks for pointing out that 60-inch-pounds is the same as
5-feet-pounds. Now, I am wondering if the pounds-rating of my torque
wrench is in term of inch-pounds or feet-pounds. It doesn't say. Is
this something supposed to be "understood" like "if it doesn't say, it
must be feet-pounds"?

Mine is a 3/8" torque wrench. I guess I will not be able to use it to
torque to such a low torque rating. I guess I am better off using the
trick of "turn 1/4 turn more after it has already been tight" instead
of buying another torque wrench.

Jay Chan

ACP wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the conversion table. This means 60-inch-pounds is the same
as 5-feet-pounds. Sounds like this torque rating is quite commonly
used.

Jay Chan

Is 60-inch-pound the same as 5-feet-pound
(60/12=5)?

YES

-W