Default Paddlers pack the Ohio

Here's something you don't see every day: A canoe traffic jam on the
river. Look for it this weekend when the Ohio River Way Paddlefest sends
2,000 canoeists and kayakers sprinting from Four Seasons Marina to the
Serpentine Wall in a dayful of races.

Make that races and parties, with a Paddler's Party Friday and a Finish
Line Festival Saturday at the Serpentine Wall. It's all brought to you by
Ohio River Way, a group dedicated to connecting people and communities
along the river.

River is the key word there. The whole weekend is a celebration of it, but
Saturday's races are the centerpiece.

The 14-mile pro race is sanctioned by the U.S. Canoe Association and
carries $3,000 in prize money. It departs from Four Seasons Marina at 8:15
a.m. and ends when they hit the wall. The course includes a leg on the
Little Miami River.

The 9-mile amateur canoe and kayak race takes off at 8:30 a.m., also
includes a leg on the Miami and doesn't have any prize money. Just medals
and a hearty round of applause.

Those two races are for serious, rowers. The next three are just for the
heck of it:

"2,000 Paddles 6 Mile Float" is a leisurely, 2-hour trip down the river
while rowers enjoy the scenery and chat it up with shipmates. About 1,000
people participated last year. It sails at 9 a.m. Saturday.

War Canoe Races, open to all registered paddlers, are short races going
from the Purple People Bridge to the Taylor Southgate Bridge at 11 a.m.
Rowers will be in 10- to 16-person canoes. Winners get bragging rights but
no bucks.

Bridge to Bridge Sprint Races at 11:45 a.m. are for 1- and 2-person canoes
and kayaks and will follow the same 300-yard course as the War Canoe
Races. There are prizes for this one.

Not interested in working that hard? Make the trip with the Rosinante, a
60-foot blue water cruising yacht. It departs from Four Seasons Marina at
8:30 a.m., includes brunch and a ride back to the marina at noon for $150
(513-230-5228).

Oh yeah, the river is closed to barges and pleasure boats during the
event, and there are shuttles to run people back to their cars at Four
Seasons.

Friday's events, all at Four Seasons, include a Gear Swap and Yard Sale,
Canoe and Kayak Show, Silent Auction (all 4-8 p.m.), a Paddler's Party
with music, food and drinks (7 p.m.) and a Paddling Film Festival Under
the Stars (9 p.m.)

Meanwhile, back at the Serpentine Wall, the Finish Line Festival has
music, food and plenty to drink. Plus a lot to watch, what with all those
brightly colored canoes bobbing on the river.
-------
What: Ohio River Way Paddlefest and Finish Line Party.
Whe Friday's events are at Four Seasons Marina, 4609 Kellogg Ave.,
Columbia Tusculum; Saturday's events are on the Ohio River, from Four
Seasons Marina to the Serpentine Wall and Sawyer Point, downtown.

When: 3-11 p.m. Friday; Saturday's races are 8:15, 8:30, 9, 11 and 11:45
a.m. The Rosinante sails at 8:30 a.m.; the Finish Line Festival is 10:30
a.m.-3 p.m.

Cost: $30 for the 14-mile and 9-mile races; $20 and $25 for the 6-mile;
War Canoe and Sprint races are free for registered paddlers. Registration
is 3-8 p.m. Friday or Saturday before 7:30 a.m.

Information: (513) 230-5228 or www.ohioriverway.org.

There's mo This is a rain or shine event. But if river conditions are
not safe, it will be rescheduled for Oct. 23.

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/0...addlefest.html

.....and they are starting to pack it in. Stopped by this afternoon and had a
look around. MANY boats arriving already with MANY MORE, by looking at the
lists of registrants, to come!

Had a chance to test paddle a handful of boats after the storms rolled
through. At least it cooled down a good deal! Tomorrow it should be
interesting to say the least...... If you like the quiet and solitude of
kayaking . . . uhhh, don't expect that tomorrow. :-)

wrote in message ...
[...]

Garrison Hilliard

"K" wrote:....and they are starting to pack it in. Stopped by this afternoon and had a
look around. MANY boats arriving already with MANY MORE, by looking at the
lists of registrants, to come!

Hey, I was there (and noticeable too... I was the guy with the bike in his canoe, who rode away towing the canoe with his bike at Cin. Public Landing)!

Garrison Hilliard

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message ...

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/0...addlefest.html

"K" wrote:....and they are starting to pack it in. Stopped by this afternoon and had a
look around. MANY boats arriving already with MANY MORE, by looking at the
lists of registrants, to come!

Hey, I was there (and noticeable too... I was the guy with the bike in his canoe, who rode away towing the canoe with his bike at Cin. Public Landing)!

I'd better clarify this... I arrived at Four Seasons Marina Friday
afternoon, camped out at the Marina, woke up and set off down the
river with my bike, canoe cart. and crude trailer hitch (a 2x4 with a
hook) in my
canoe, then mounted the canoe on the cart and used my bike to tow the
canoe home (about 4.8 road miles away from the landing) once I made
landfall at Cin. Public Landing.

We saw you on the river and at the landing fixing what appeared to be a flat
front tire. We were in a tandem kayak. Glad to see you made it home safe and
sound. A group of us were concerned after watching the trailer take its own
path behind the bike. I figure creating a hitch that hooks around the seat
post would work much better. That would only allow for a single pivot point
and not allow the trailer to slide off to the side. I've seen others report
on similar setups here and elsewhere. Great idea, just needs refining.

PaddleFest 2004 was great!!! It was refreshing to see such a HUGE amount of
people all having fun, not pushing and shoving to get in the water, enjoying
each others company on the water and the finish line festival socializing.
It was a perfect day! According to today's paper, there were over 1,200
participants! The organizers deserve a BIG round of applause!

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Garrison Hilliard

From: "K"

We saw you on the river and at the landing fixing what appeared to be a flat
front tire.

It not only appeared to be, but actually was a flat front tire! G My
bike's front brakes had jammed under the rim and tore a hole in my front
tire as I towed the canoe up the landing but, with a little assistance
from a guy who loaned me a dollar bill to use as a patch for the tire's
sidewall, I used my handy-dandy patch kit and was once again on my way.

We were in a tandem kayak. Glad to see you made it home safe and
sound. A group of us were concerned after watching the trailer take its own
path behind the bike. I figure creating a hitch that hooks around the seat
post would work much better. That would only allow for a single pivot point
and not allow the trailer to slide off to the side. I've seen others report
on similar setups here and elsewhere. Great idea, just needs refining.

Actually, my initial problems with stability and hitch slippage were
solved after I a. securely lashed down the 2x4 hitch and b. brought out
several more straps and secured the canoe more tightly to the cart. After
making those adjustments, the canoe tracked behind me quite well indeed
and it was a snap to ride through downtown and onto lovely, flat Central
Parkway and thence home.

PaddleFest 2004 was great!!! It was refreshing to see such a HUGE amount of
people all having fun, not pushing and shoving to get in the water, enjoying
each others company on the water and the finish line festival socializing.

I enjoyed it immensely myself... although I didn't stick around at the
"Finish Line Festival" due to being hot, wet, sweaty, and ****ed off about
the flat tire on my bike.

It was a perfect day! According to today's paper, there were over 1,200
participants! The organizers deserve a BIG round of applause!

Well, Saturday morning was great, but I was one of the blue-shirted
volunteers tossing canoes around at the marina on the utterly miserable
Friday night before. However, the free pizza was from "La Rosa's" was
nice, as was my discovery of pony keg on the other side of the soccer
fields! :-)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:32:58 -0000, (Garrison

From: "K"

[...]

Pardon me for jumping in but this soundls like the bike-paddle version
of some epic adventure like 'The Princess Bride meets Huck Finn'. g

I don't know about the group, but I wanna see .jpgs of this rig.

Great descriptions, etc.

Best,
Badger