Garrison Hilliard

Default Paddlers pack the Ohio

From: "K"

We saw you on the river and at the landing fixing what appeared to be a flat
front tire.

It not only appeared to be, but actually was a flat front tire! G My
bike's front brakes had jammed under the rim and tore a hole in my front
tire as I towed the canoe up the landing but, with a little assistance
from a guy who loaned me a dollar bill to use as a patch for the tire's
sidewall, I used my handy-dandy patch kit and was once again on my way.

We were in a tandem kayak. Glad to see you made it home safe and
sound. A group of us were concerned after watching the trailer take its own
path behind the bike. I figure creating a hitch that hooks around the seat
post would work much better. That would only allow for a single pivot point
and not allow the trailer to slide off to the side. I've seen others report
on similar setups here and elsewhere. Great idea, just needs refining.

Actually, my initial problems with stability and hitch slippage were
solved after I a. securely lashed down the 2x4 hitch and b. brought out
several more straps and secured the canoe more tightly to the cart. After
making those adjustments, the canoe tracked behind me quite well indeed
and it was a snap to ride through downtown and onto lovely, flat Central
Parkway and thence home.

PaddleFest 2004 was great!!! It was refreshing to see such a HUGE amount of
people all having fun, not pushing and shoving to get in the water, enjoying
each others company on the water and the finish line festival socializing.

I enjoyed it immensely myself... although I didn't stick around at the
"Finish Line Festival" due to being hot, wet, sweaty, and ****ed off about
the flat tire on my bike.

It was a perfect day! According to today's paper, there were over 1,200
participants! The organizers deserve a BIG round of applause!

Well, Saturday morning was great, but I was one of the blue-shirted
volunteers tossing canoes around at the marina on the utterly miserable
Friday night before. However, the free pizza was from "La Rosa's" was
nice, as was my discovery of pony keg on the other side of the soccer
fields! :-)