William R. Watt

Default Building a wooden WW dory

John Gardner's "Dory Book" is the classic reference, available in many
public libraries.

For a simple approach to dory geometry look at the writings of Barend
Migchelsen of Dorval, Quebec. His writings have been serialized at
www.duckworksmagazine.com. The recent stuff is covered by the new fee to
view articles but some of his older stuff can be viewed for free. He also
sells booklets of his dory geometry on his website the address of which I
can't remember.

(I used Barend's geometry as a starting point for the free skiff design
program on my website but had to revert to analytical geometry for some of the
math for a skiff. The transom throws things off. This summer at the beach
I solved the problem of the concave cut along the bottom edge but have not
put it on the WWW as yet.)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Backyard Renegade

Charles Pezeshki wrote in message ...
HI Scotty,

It's hard for those not in the biz to know who is/isn't stealing plans.

I know that I'd like to know, having no interest in dealing in 'hot' plans.
But there are libel issues involved if someone with money decided to go
after you, so for your own sake, be careful.

Maybe a better tack would be to tell someone the process of figuring out who
has stolen plans.

Chuck

Sorry, I am bringing personal opinion in again and the guy of which I
speak did it to me directly and did not even try to hide it... Anyway,
I should explain... I have no problem with taking a hull shape and
reworking it to suit your needs, and face it, there are only so many
logical shapes for boat hulls. The very few boats I have "developed"
all look very much like the boat that have been built for hundreds of
years, until you take a close look. You would notice that I changed
things to suit modern day boating, made allowances for small engines,
etc. The point being, I have developed these hulls by building them
and tweaking them in the "water tank" (CT River) before I sell any
plans. Some of them reworked as many as 5 times until the hull is
correct. My beef is with the guys who grab an old set of popular
mechanics plans, or just draw with a computer something that looks
like something they have seen. Then they put CAD drawings up on the
net and sell them. One guy in particular gave away free plans to
anyone who would build one of the boats and send him completed photos
for his website. It is in my opinion irresponsible to put someones
life in the hands of a hack like this.
Scotty, who will shut up now until the lawyers are all dead...
Blakely LaCroix

In article , Charles Pezeshki
writes:

The kits I saw out there were in the $3K range, and I was trying to figure
out if I'd be better off just buying plans and then buying raw lumber, or if
I'd be better off just buying a kit. The other thing I'm trying to figure
out is if I'd be better off just buying a raft!

Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. That boat in the link,
while not really what I have in mind, is certainly lovely.

Chuck;

A raft is a great idea.

I purchased mine nearly 10 years ago with the idea that we needed
a craft that the whole family could use. It served us well.

Next summer will be our first year with an empty nest. My wife and I
are already planning larger and more extended trips with the raft for next
summer.

We were out today in the raft on one of the local lakes just to help escape
the heat. It always feels good to have a set of oars in my hands. Must be
some connection to a past life.

Blakely

Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
RBP Clique member # 86.

The best adventure is yet to come.
Backyard Renegade

Charles Pezeshki wrote in message ...
HI Scotty,

I'm still REALLY in the preliminary phase. That means I'm musing on it, as
I realize that there's a ton o' work involved, and I have to try to figure
out if it's a good expenditure of resources. The time is a small part of
the issue.

The kits I saw out there were in the $3K range, and I was trying to figure
out if I'd be better off just buying plans and then buying raw lumber, or if
I'd be better off just buying a kit. The other thing I'm trying to figure
out is if I'd be better off just buying a raft!

Charles, I think you especially would enjoy the whole experience of
planning, building, finishing, and then floating a boat of your own
hand. This based on the specific interests and hobbies you have noted
since I have monitored this newsgroup. Of course, I suggest that it is
a life altering experience for anyone who has done it, but I think you
would enjoy the experience... Who knows, maybe you will get addicted
as I have and slow down on that crazy political agenda

Personally, i feel there is no reason to "get out" the wood for such a
boat as the folks who build the kits I mentioned do a good job and
when you figure your time just in finding decent wood... $3000 would
probably be well worth the investment to get the kit. You still really
get to "build" the boat, and it allows you to spend more time on fit
and finish. Many of these kit sellers using CNC and such can put out
kits for about the same amount as you finding all the material
yourself.

Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. That boat in the link,
while not really what I have in mind, is certainly lovely.

That boat was a quick knockdown, marine ply seats, all designed for a
very small female to easily load and unload... and for rowing flatter
water. Certainly not the tool for you in the rivers. Completly
different boat. Really showing how many really different types of
boats classify as dories...

Chuck

in article , Backyard Renegade
at
wrote on 8/16/03 6:18 AM:

I am going to rough guess, a McKenzie double ender, of
all good materials, between $3-4000 to build, again, ask the designer.

Again, probably cost as much to buy the wood and material as to buy
the whole kit.

Let us know if you build one. Being a rather specialized type of boat
(not for everyone) have only seen photos and such. I have a set of
Roger Fletcher's plans for a 17 foot double ender here and would love
to build it someday, but I would have no place to use it.

Scotty.. still using a crap computer, no easy spellchecker available
now, sorry.
Charles Pezeshki

HI Scotty,

That's good to know. I haven't done ANY pricing, but I figure that in order
to make one of these 'stitch and glue' models, one would probably end up
buying two super-large sheets of marine plywood, no? My suspicion (entirely
speculation) is that such a sheet in the 16' range would cost ~$500, just
going on what I know walnut veneer plywood (another specialty item) goes for
in sheet form. You'd probably need at least 2 of them, and maybe 3.

I've seen dories/drift boats that are obviously cobbled together from
smaller sheets. Not as elegant, but sea/river worthy.

Are my suspicions correct?

Chuck

in article , Backyard
Renegade at