Charles Pezeshki

Default Building a wooden WW dory

HI Scotty,

That's good to know. I haven't done ANY pricing, but I figure that in order
to make one of these 'stitch and glue' models, one would probably end up
buying two super-large sheets of marine plywood, no? My suspicion (entirely
speculation) is that such a sheet in the 16' range would cost ~$500, just
going on what I know walnut veneer plywood (another specialty item) goes for
in sheet form. You'd probably need at least 2 of them, and maybe 3.

I've seen dories/drift boats that are obviously cobbled together from
smaller sheets. Not as elegant, but sea/river worthy.

Are my suspicions correct?

Chuck

in article , Backyard
Renegade at
wrote on 8/17/03 9:15 AM:

Personally, i feel there is no reason to "get out" the wood for such a
boat as the folks who build the kits I mentioned do a good job and
when you figure your time just in finding decent wood... $3000 would
probably be well worth the investment to get the kit.