Backyard Renegade

Default Building a wooden WW dory

Charles Pezeshki wrote in message ...
HI Scotty,

It's hard for those not in the biz to know who is/isn't stealing plans.

I know that I'd like to know, having no interest in dealing in 'hot' plans.
But there are libel issues involved if someone with money decided to go
after you, so for your own sake, be careful.

Maybe a better tack would be to tell someone the process of figuring out who
has stolen plans.

Chuck

Sorry, I am bringing personal opinion in again and the guy of which I
speak did it to me directly and did not even try to hide it... Anyway,
I should explain... I have no problem with taking a hull shape and
reworking it to suit your needs, and face it, there are only so many
logical shapes for boat hulls. The very few boats I have "developed"
all look very much like the boat that have been built for hundreds of
years, until you take a close look. You would notice that I changed
things to suit modern day boating, made allowances for small engines,
etc. The point being, I have developed these hulls by building them
and tweaking them in the "water tank" (CT River) before I sell any
plans. Some of them reworked as many as 5 times until the hull is
correct. My beef is with the guys who grab an old set of popular
mechanics plans, or just draw with a computer something that looks
like something they have seen. Then they put CAD drawings up on the
net and sell them. One guy in particular gave away free plans to
anyone who would build one of the boats and send him completed photos
for his website. It is in my opinion irresponsible to put someones
life in the hands of a hack like this.
Scotty, who will shut up now until the lawyers are all dead...