Backyard Renegade

Default Thinking of building your first boat?

This is a letter I received, and my response to it. Just thought I
would clog up your bandwidth with a little of my bullship...

Fellow wrote to me:
Scotty,
I don't think you will have to (shoot down my reasons for not building
boat). As a matter of fact, right after e-mailing you, I ordered a
couple
books, including Greg Rossel's "Building Small Boats" (fantastic book)
and
two of Payson's books, "How to build the Gloucester Light Dory" and
"Build
the New Instant Boats" (although I haven't received the Build... book
yet).
The Gloucester Light Dory looks like a fine boat, but I don't think
the boat
looks nearly as fine as some of those you have built, although it
appears
you are using the same construction techniques - plywood and glass.
Plus,
this particular boat cannot be rigged for sail (which I think I want -
sail
and oar). Any suggestions for such a boat? Endless choices on
Payson's
bwebsite, but I simply don't know enough about boating to choose, yet.

I am also very much enamored with the traditional planking in Rossel's
book - have you tried lapstrake planking, yet?

BTW, you make a comment about wood not floating - something to do with
needing floatation ballast? I don't know the rules about boating, yet
-
does a home-built boat require some sort of inspection? By whom?
Where can
I find more information? I see I need a license from my local
Department of
Natural Resources, but it appears that it is simply based on boat
length - I
don't know if I need an inspection, or whether I police myself when I
submit
the application. I am very much the novice boater.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping that boating is something
my 4
month-old daughter and I (and my small bug!) will enjoy together as
she (and
I) get older.

(name removed)

I responded:
The reason my boats look different is that they are made with
materials that were either not available, or cost effective when the
Stitch and tape method, and the Payson books were written. It is a
bonus that the newly available materials such as okoume, epoxy, and
mahogany, are much better for building these boats than the original
polyester and fir/pine plywood, and also look sooooo much nicer too.
What I am saying here is the aesthetics come by simply using the
better materials, it's a two-fer'.

My comment about wood not floating was a snipe at the calculations the
USCG uses to measure the buoyancy of a hull. They do not figure in the
wood as a material that floats. Probably a good thing afterall, but
still, makes for good reading...

Building, start with the books you have, just substitute epoxy for
polyester in the Payson books. Take my word for it, the time and
material saved will more than make up for the small cost difference.
Epoxy was very expensive when these books were written, this is no
longer the case. With the pre calibrated pumps, and variable speed
cureing agents, epoxy makes your first build, very headache free...
Payson even agreed with me on this one during a conversation we had
last season.

Safety standards for backyard builders is he
http://www.uscg.mil/d8/mso/louisvill...bp16761_3b.pdf
This should cover you for whomever is responsible for registration and
licensing in your state. Usually it is either the DNR or DMV that will
be in charge of checking and giving you the proper paperwork, and
collecting the taxes. SAVE ALL RECEIPTS! You will need at some
point to prove to someone that you paid sales tax on everything
associated with building this boat. Tools, materials, travel, et al.

Choosing a boat is another thing. I need to know:
What do you want your boat to do for you, daysailer, racing,
gunkholeing, fishing, sunbathing, transport, weekender, motor, oar,
etc.? How big do you want it to be? Where will you do your boating?
River, lake, steam, ocean, large bay, will you go out in bad
conditions, good only, both? How will you move or where will you keep
your boat? Trailer sailor, Cartopper, Moored or docked, just dragged
to beach? Do you have any woodworking experience, what facilities and
tools do you have, not a lot necessary in either area, just helps me
help you choose a boat.
Anyway, this will give you a good start. Feel free to follow up...
Scotty

Any problems with me posting this, please contact me off list. If you
have problems with the content, "Hack!". "Yes Scotty?" "Flame suit on
sir!"

Buying Boat Batteries - Check My Thinking Gary Warner General 14 July 9th 04 07:58 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM