Backyard Renegade

Default Building a wooden WW dory

Charles Pezeshki wrote in message ...
HI Scotty,

I'm still REALLY in the preliminary phase. That means I'm musing on it, as
I realize that there's a ton o' work involved, and I have to try to figure
out if it's a good expenditure of resources. The time is a small part of
the issue.

The kits I saw out there were in the $3K range, and I was trying to figure
out if I'd be better off just buying plans and then buying raw lumber, or if
I'd be better off just buying a kit. The other thing I'm trying to figure
out is if I'd be better off just buying a raft!

Charles, I think you especially would enjoy the whole experience of
planning, building, finishing, and then floating a boat of your own
hand. This based on the specific interests and hobbies you have noted
since I have monitored this newsgroup. Of course, I suggest that it is
a life altering experience for anyone who has done it, but I think you
would enjoy the experience... Who knows, maybe you will get addicted
as I have and slow down on that crazy political agenda

Personally, i feel there is no reason to "get out" the wood for such a
boat as the folks who build the kits I mentioned do a good job and
when you figure your time just in finding decent wood... $3000 would
probably be well worth the investment to get the kit. You still really
get to "build" the boat, and it allows you to spend more time on fit
and finish. Many of these kit sellers using CNC and such can put out
kits for about the same amount as you finding all the material
yourself.

Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. That boat in the link,
while not really what I have in mind, is certainly lovely.

That boat was a quick knockdown, marine ply seats, all designed for a
very small female to easily load and unload... and for rowing flatter
water. Certainly not the tool for you in the rivers. Completly
different boat. Really showing how many really different types of
boats classify as dories...

Chuck

in article , Backyard Renegade
at
wrote on 8/16/03 6:18 AM:

I am going to rough guess, a McKenzie double ender, of
all good materials, between $3-4000 to build, again, ask the designer.

Again, probably cost as much to buy the wood and material as to buy
the whole kit.

Let us know if you build one. Being a rather specialized type of boat
(not for everyone) have only seen photos and such. I have a set of
Roger Fletcher's plans for a 17 foot double ender here and would love
to build it someday, but I would have no place to use it.

Scotty.. still using a crap computer, no easy spellchecker available
now, sorry.