posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.zen,alt.philosophy.zen,alt.buddha.short.fat.guy,rec.boats

Default No living entity "benefits" by coming into existence

On Jun 30, 6:00*pm, bundling snowfalls wrote:
On 1/07/2010 5:56 AM, zenworm wrote:

On Jun 30, 5:51 pm, bundling *wrote:
On 1/07/2010 5:39 AM, zenworm wrote:

On Jun 30, 2:34 pm, bundling * *wrote:
On 1/07/2010 2:29 AM, oxtail wrote:

bundling snowfalls wrote:

On 1/07/2010 2:04 AM, oxtail wrote:
bundling snowfalls wrote:

On 1/07/2010 1:56 AM, oxtail wrote:
Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

A benefit is something that improves the welfare of an entity.
Prior to its existence, there is no entity and thus no welfare, so
coming into existence cannot improve an entity's welfare.

We do not "give the gift of life" to livestock animals by breeding
them into existence; we do not do them any "favor". *We facilitate
their existence, but that existence is not a gift or benefit to
them. No matter how pleasant their lives might be once they do
exist, existence itself is not a benefit to them.

No harm would be inflicted on any animals if, suddenly and for
whatever reason, we were to stop breeding livestock animals into
existence. *The fact that "billions of farm animals" would thereby
never exist would have no moral meaning to any animals. *There would
not be any lack of consideration shown.

If you are not smart enough
to be concerned about the welfare
of sentient beings to be born in the future, you have no business to
worry
about what other people do or think.

of course the welfare matters you idiot. it's about the existence of
them in future. in particular, existence being bred for meat.

grow up you guys, that's about enough.

You are not getting it.
This is about how to think well
and whether life is sacred.

just a period of pain on earth.

But necessary to be enlightened.

the unborn don't give a flying ****.

for the birds?

^~

i'm a good aim with a rifle and
i shot a bird on my best friends
farm one day, glad i did it. i
see how superficial the joy i
was having was compared to the
life i took, or just winged it?
there was no joy anymore for me.

Perhaps all 'sin' can be summed up in one word:

"waste".

^~

yes. there are better things to do
than being shot or eaten i'm sure.

none escape the worms

^~

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

but i'm ever so fresh

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

certainty? 100%?

"better"?

1 - birth(procreation)
2 - eat(consume) & breed(procreate)
3 - death(being consumed)

What else is there?

Is there anything other than
consumption and procreation?

^~

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

I've been over this. From a point of view
upholding the values of an animal as "life"
the process of life appears rather empty,
hold onto that child inside because when it
is gone you are dead. Dying Animals. Life
continues on and this is by procreation but
the purpose of "breeding" is beyond exist-
ence it's also an evolution of the forms...
and in the forms Light and Life stay fresh.
You appear to be taking the darker pov and
I suppose the emptiness appears "spiritual".
It's a vague matter for me, but it opposes
a far more vibrant view of the universe.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

so life is sacred to a purpose of evolution?
given that evolution is better served the greater the
diversity and population, that means there is a definitive
benefit to that purpose(evolution), of having more species
and more animals alive breeding in the purpose of evolution.
in short:
greater biomass + greater biodiversity =
greater advantage to evolution =
a benefit to all life existent and not yet existent

more options = advantage/benefit?

is the advancement of evolution a benefit/advantage
for the forms that have not yet come into existence?

^~

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

are you oxtail? simplistic zen game ego agendas?

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

yah..... i like to make things nice
before the bubby gets here, that is
not to say it's beneficial to exist
opposed to not existing but it is to
exist well, versus existing unwell.

more options = advantage/benefit?

is the advancement of evolution a benefit/advantage
for the forms that have not yet come into existence?

^~

once they come into existence?

posted to alt.zen,alt.philosophy.zen,alt.buddha.short.fat.guy,rec.boats

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

i believe in reincarnation. but let's
snip out the vegetarian group. cough.

prior to that? stuff. we come from
stuff that is not organized as beings.
except for the semen i suppose.

prior to everything? it's a mystery?

Would Sotomayor Exonerate Bill Richardson & His "Moving AmericaForward" "Latino Voter Registration" Scam? [email protected] General 1 June 5th 09 07:44 PM
An Example Of The "Brown Pride" Garbage Coming Into The USA (YouTube video) Ted General 36 July 30th 07 05:48 PM
Dave's "high" living! Capt. Rob ASA 31 April 29th 07 04:34 AM
Low Pressure "Bomb" coming ashore in the Pacific NW Chuck Gould General 25 December 15th 06 10:32 PM