Default Low Pressure "Bomb" coming ashore in the Pacific NW

Some forecasters are predicting winds along the coastline will hit 100
mph, (80-some knots), with seas up to 30-feet. That's up there in the
hurricane-force category, if I'm not mistaken.

"Auntie Em!"

Supposed to be calmed down by the weekend. I hope so, I'm ready for a
couple of days away from the dock. If it's blowing hard enough to raise
30-foot seas in the ocean, even in the relatively sheltered waters of
Puget Sound conditions will be impossible/impassible.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
Some forecasters are predicting winds along the coastline will hit 100
mph, (80-some knots), with seas up to 30-feet. That's up there in the
hurricane-force category, if I'm not mistaken.

"Auntie Em!"

Supposed to be calmed down by the weekend. I hope so, I'm ready for a
couple of days away from the dock. If it's blowing hard enough to raise
30-foot seas in the ocean, even in the relatively sheltered waters of
Puget Sound conditions will be impossible/impassible.

Sustained winds (not gusts) of 74 mph defines hurricane force.
100 mph sustained would make it equal to a minimum Cat 2.

I am curious. Has any Pacific hurricanes ever tracked up the coast as far
as you are and hit land?

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
Some forecasters are predicting winds along the coastline will hit 100
mph, (80-some knots), with seas up to 30-feet. That's up there in the
hurricane-force category, if I'm not mistaken.

"Auntie Em!"

Supposed to be calmed down by the weekend. I hope so, I'm ready for a
couple of days away from the dock. If it's blowing hard enough to raise
30-foot seas in the ocean, even in the relatively sheltered waters of
Puget Sound conditions will be impossible/impassible.

Sustained winds (not gusts) of 74 mph defines hurricane force.
100 mph sustained would make it equal to a minimum Cat 2.

I am curious. Has any Pacific hurricanes ever tracked up the coast as far
as you are and hit land?

Eisboch

"Have" not "Has" (duh)

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 13 Dec 2006 11:56:52 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

Some forecasters are predicting winds along the coastline will hit 100
mph, (80-some knots), with seas up to 30-feet. That's up there in the
hurricane-force category, if I'm not mistaken.

"Auntie Em!"

Supposed to be calmed down by the weekend. I hope so, I'm ready for a
couple of days away from the dock. If it's blowing hard enough to raise
30-foot seas in the ocean, even in the relatively sheltered waters of
Puget Sound conditions will be impossible/impassible.

I blame Global Warming.

Or Canada...

I understand that Canada is responsible for Global Warming, hence they
are responsible for both.

Eisboch wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
Some forecasters are predicting winds along the coastline will hit 100
mph, (80-some knots), with seas up to 30-feet. That's up there in the
hurricane-force category, if I'm not mistaken.

"Auntie Em!"

Supposed to be calmed down by the weekend. I hope so, I'm ready for a
couple of days away from the dock. If it's blowing hard enough to raise
30-foot seas in the ocean, even in the relatively sheltered waters of
Puget Sound conditions will be impossible/impassible.

Sustained winds (not gusts) of 74 mph defines hurricane force.
100 mph sustained would make it equal to a minimum Cat 2.

I am curious. Has any Pacific hurricanes ever tracked up the coast as far
as you are and hit land?

Eisboch

I still remember this one, and I was only 11 years old at the time.
This clipping doesn't give wind speeds in Seattle, but it does mention
winds of well over 100 mph and up to 170 mph in Oregon.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news...ay-storm_x.htm

The last *really* big storm we had in the Pacific NW was on the day
that GWB was sworn in for his second term. We all joked that it was
divine punishment for being a blue state, but I won't get any deeper
into that subject or we all know where this thread will wind up. :-)

Chuck Gould wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

That last sentence will be the downfall of rec.boats.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...
Some forecasters are predicting winds along the coastline will hit 100
mph, (80-some knots), with seas up to 30-feet. That's up there in the
hurricane-force category, if I'm not mistaken.

"Auntie Em!"

Supposed to be calmed down by the weekend. I hope so, I'm ready for a
couple of days away from the dock. If it's blowing hard enough to raise
30-foot seas in the ocean, even in the relatively sheltered waters of
Puget Sound conditions will be impossible/impassible.

Sustained winds (not gusts) of 74 mph defines hurricane force.
100 mph sustained would make it equal to a minimum Cat 2.

I am curious. Has any Pacific hurricanes ever tracked up the coast as
far as you are and hit land?

Eisboch

"Have" not "Has" (duh)

Mr. President - is that you?!?

Wonder how many nitwits the Coasties will have to risk their lives
rescuing from this...
JR
I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

In the interest of being entirely non-partisan (as usual, of
course.....) we also had a big windstorm back in 1993 when the previous
president was sworn in for his first term.
So, what is it about days when there's a lot of political speech making
going on and enormous winds? Seems more than a little coincidental, at
least to me.

man..it’s been about 2 months since I’ve been on my boat in the Puget
sound....I’m going thru boat withdrawls....someone asked if we’ve ever
had a himicane this far north.....first off..not possible....himicanes
would start out in japan and have to follow the pacific current that
takes it up past alaska, down canada, and finally down into the
US....by then it would have frozen it’s little hmm hmms off....so...we
just get those danged arctic storms that comes down from canada
....with the warm currents from hawaii...we usually get these firehose
affects storms...even the protected waters of the sound can get ugly
as hell.......I NEED MY BOAT FIX!!!!!......
8O

wrote:

Some forecasters are predicting winds along the coastline

will hit 100
mph, (80-some knots), with seas up to 30-feet. That's up

there in the
hurricane-force category, if I'm not mistaken.

"Auntie Em!"

Supposed to be calmed down by the weekend. I hope so, I'm

ready for a
couple of days away from the dock. If it's blowing hard

enough to raise
30-foot seas in the ocean, even in the relatively sheltered

waters of
Puget Sound conditions will be impossible/impassible.

I blame Global Warming.

Or Canada...

I understand that Canada is responsible for Global Warming,
hence they
are responsible for both.

push vs pull vis a vis rudders JAXAshby Cruising 146 April 2nd 04 01:57 PM
Cheap And Nasty Snorkel extension Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 54 November 6th 03 11:26 AM
Alchohol stoves Parallax General 18 October 15th 03 06:37 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM