posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.zen,alt.philosophy.zen,alt.buddha.short.fat.guy,rec.boats

Default No living entity "benefits" by coming into existence

A benefit is something that improves the welfare of an entity. Prior to
its existence, there is no entity and thus no welfare, so coming into
existence cannot improve an entity's welfare.

We do not "give the gift of life" to livestock animals by breeding them
into existence; we do not do them any "favor". We facilitate their
existence, but that existence is not a gift or benefit to them. No
matter how pleasant their lives might be once they do exist, existence
itself is not a benefit to them.

No harm would be inflicted on any animals if, suddenly and for whatever
reason, we were to stop breeding livestock animals into existence. The
fact that "billions of farm animals" would thereby never exist would
have no moral meaning to any animals. There would not be any lack of
consideration shown.
posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.zen,alt.philosophy.zen,alt.buddha.short.fat.guy,rec.boats

On 6/30/2010 10:50 AM, Mr.Smartypants wrote:
On Jun 30, 11:34 am, "Fred C.
squittered:

nothing of importance snipped

Right - you snipped the important stuff.

You lose, Runny - *again*. Oh, one more thing...there was no
12-year-old. You bull****ted about that, and you got slapped down hard
for it.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

A benefit is something that improves the welfare of an entity. Prior to
its existence, there is no entity and thus no welfare, so coming into
existence cannot improve an entity's welfare.

We do not "give the gift of life" to livestock animals by breeding them
into existence; we do not do them any "favor". We facilitate their
existence, but that existence is not a gift or benefit to them. No
matter how pleasant their lives might be once they do exist, existence
itself is not a benefit to them.

No harm would be inflicted on any animals if, suddenly and for whatever
reason, we were to stop breeding livestock animals into existence. The
fact that "billions of farm animals" would thereby never exist would
have no moral meaning to any animals. There would not be any lack of
consideration shown.

If you are not smart enough
to be concerned about the welfare
of sentient beings to be born in the future,
you have no business to worry
about what other people do or think.

--
Oxtail is not doing what he thinks he is doing here.

On 1/07/2010 1:56 AM, oxtail wrote:
Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

of course the welfare matters you idiot.
it's about the existence of them in future.
in particular, existence being bred for meat.

grow up you guys, that's about enough.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

You are not getting it.
This is about how to think well
and whether life is sacred.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

just a period of pain on earth.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

But necessary to be enlightened.

the unborn don't give a flying ****.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

But her parents should.
Her society also.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

[...]

i think life is sacred in the sense
that i wouldn't bring someone here if
myself or the world weren't up to it.

Would Sotomayor Exonerate Bill Richardson & His "Moving AmericaForward" "Latino Voter Registration" Scam? [email protected] General 1 June 5th 09 07:44 PM
An Example Of The "Brown Pride" Garbage Coming Into The USA (YouTube video) Ted General 36 July 30th 07 05:48 PM
Dave's "high" living! Capt. Rob ASA 31 April 29th 07 04:34 AM
Low Pressure "Bomb" coming ashore in the Pacific NW Chuck Gould General 25 December 15th 06 10:32 PM