Default diesel engine use with no battery

I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is running,
then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep running. If
that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to start a diesel by
hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in the former case, even
if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted out - then the engine
would keep running. In the latter situation if the battery was already dead,
you might be able to crank it to start it.

--
Nom=de=Plume

"nom=de=plume" wrote in message
I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is running,
then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep running. If
that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to start a diesel by
hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in the former case,
even if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted out - then the
engine would keep running. In the latter situation if the battery was
already dead, you might be able to crank it to start it.

--
Nom=de=Plume

In the old days you could do just that. Any modern diesel has electronic
controls.

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"nom=de=plume" wrote in message
I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is
running, then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep
running. If that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to
start a diesel by hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in
the former case, even if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted
out - then the engine would keep running. In the latter situation if the
battery was already dead, you might be able to crank it to start it.

--
Nom=de=Plume

In the old days you could do just that. Any modern diesel has electronic
controls.

I guess you're unable to understand what I wrote. Did I mention recently
that you're an idiot?

--
Nom=de=Plume

jps jps is offline

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:43:02 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is running,
then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep running. If
that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to start a diesel by
hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in the former case, even
if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted out - then the engine
would keep running. In the latter situation if the battery was already dead,
you might be able to crank it to start it.

It's not that simple. Motors have brains now and that brain often
controls both fuel, spark and timing -- and needs to be powered.

If your diesel was a throwback of many decades, you'd be right.

On Apr 28, 12:19*am, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"Bill McKee" wrote in message

m...

[...]

D'Plume. I take it you are too daft to understand that Bill is correct
and that you throw the word "idiot" around too loosly?

However, to give you the benefit of the doubt, If the engine is small
and primitive enough in design, this was of a standard norm. One would
first trigger the compression release, and crank-spin the crankshaft
vigorously, then trip the compression release and it should run.

But modern designed diesels are equipped with computerized,
electronic fuel injection and do require electricity to operate the
injection controls.

wrote:

I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is
running,
then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep running. If
that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to start a diesel
by
hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in the former case,
even
if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted out - then the engine
would keep running. In the latter situation if the battery was already
dead,
you might be able to crank it to start it.

It's not that simple. Motors have brains now and that brain often
controls both fuel, spark and timing -- and needs to be powered.

If your diesel was a throwback of many decades, you'd be right.

Interesting. No spark though on the diesel required or has that changed as
well? So, it wouldn't be possible to hand start it, but would it keep
running? Seems like it would be capable of generating it's own electricity,
much like a car engine charges the battery via the alternator. How many
amps/volts would be needed to retain its ability to control fuel, timing,
etc? Seems like it wouldn't require the same amperage that a starting
battery is capable of, so wouldn't a small, dedicated "engine function"
battery suffice?

Ok, I'm no diesel mechanic...

--
Nom=de=Plume

"TopBassDog" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 12:19 am, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"Bill McKee" wrote in message

m...

[...]

Firstly, I didn't specifically mention "modern" diesels, but in any case, he
didn't address the other part of the question. He's claims he so brilliant,
but obviously idiot is apropos.

However, to give you the benefit of the doubt, If the engine is small
and primitive enough in design, this was of a standard norm. One would
first trigger the compression release, and crank-spin the crankshaft
vigorously, then trip the compression release and it should run.

Yes, I read about the compression gate.

But modern designed diesels are equipped with computerized,
electronic fuel injection and do require electricity to operate the
injection controls.

See my response on this to jps.

Thanks for being marginally civil.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Apr 28, 1:19*am, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"Bill McKee" wrote in message

m...

"nom=de=plume" wrote in message
I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is
running, then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep
running. If that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to
start a diesel by hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in
the former case, even if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted
out - then the engine would keep running. In the latter situation if the
battery was already dead, you might be able to crank it to start it.

--
Nom=de=Plume

In the old days you could do just that. *Any modern diesel has electronic
controls.

I guess you're unable to understand what I wrote. Did I mention recently
that you're an idiot?

--
Nom=de=Plume- Hide quoted text -

Bill answered your post correctly. Why the hatred?

On Apr 27, 10:43*pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is running,
then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep running. If
that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to start a diesel by
hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in the former case, even
if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted out - then the engine
would keep running. In the latter situation if the battery was already dead,
you might be able to crank it to start it.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Older diesels do not need any electricity once they have been started.

They make battery eliminators for small engines that can be started
mechanically by other means. The battery eliminator prevents the
charging system from going over voltage without a battery as a load.
Small motorbikes, lawn tractors, etc can be converted if they have a
mechanical cranking alternative.

It's only practical to start very small engines without some means of
mechnically assisted cranking. So if you're talking about a small
generator or something similar that has a simple diesel engine then
what you suggest may be practical.

I don't think you are going to find yourself in a situation where a
battery has gone from working to failed, and the charging system is
still working, and the engine is still running from it's initial
startup. Diesel or gas. And you are not going to hand crank any
diesel capable of moving a boat. So your questions, while possibly
interesting theoretically, have no practical application.
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 27, 9:43*pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
I read the wiki on diesels, and I think I read that if a diesel is running,
then it doesn't need a spark (e.g., battery energy) to keep running. If
that's the case, then it seems like you should be able to start a diesel by
hand, assuming you have the muscle or leverage. So, in the former case, even
if your battery died - perhaps got wet and shorted out - then the engine
would keep running. In the latter situation if the battery was already dead,
you might be able to crank it to start it.

--
Nom=de=Plume

One thing you need to be sure of is that there's a provision that you
can do so. Most small diesels that I'm familiar with are electric
start only. But i'm not that familiar with all the diesels in a marine
aplication, though.

Diesel Engine Choice? jps General 26 April 21st 06 05:33 AM
reliable diesel engine african adventurer General 1 February 1st 06 08:54 AM
The Diesel Engine winder General 3 January 23rd 05 02:59 PM
Diesel Engine Sounds Lloyd Sumpter General 6 January 30th 04 08:51 AM
Diesel Engine The Count Boat Building 7 December 28th 03 05:13 PM