Default Cruising and reality

nom=de=plume wrote:

But wouldn't a boat of the size I mentioned be powered with a decent engine?
Seems like it would be, but I haven't really looked into it.

You have a _lot_ of homework ahead of you.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:24:10 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

But wouldn't a boat of the size I mentioned be powered with a decent engine?
Seems like it would be, but I haven't really looked into it.

A 40 ft cruising sailboat would typically have a diesel in the 30 to
40 hp range. In flat water and no wind that's enough for 6 1/2 to 7
kts if the bottom is clean.
hk hk is offline

On 4/16/10 11:13 AM, Don White wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in message
I once met a couple who had bought a boat on Lake Michigan, sailed
down the Miss. R and then across the gulf and then all over th
Bahamas. They were on their way back aqnd had stopped in
Apalachicola, FL and I asked how they had liked it. She had hated
it. He had liked it but her dislike was enough.
Another couple I know spent years re-building a boat to get ready to
go cruising and then finally after 10 years of planning, set off. For
some reason I still do not know, it din't work out and hey came back
within 4 months.
Another couple I know is working on their boat talking constantly
about how they will take off as soon as they retire. What if it
dosn't work out for them and they do not like it? That's a lot of
wasted effort and years.
Doesn't it make more sense to have a smaller boat you can afford with
far fewer things to go wrong so you can afford to go NOW? A smaller
boat you can afford allows you to arrange your work to allow more time
for shorter coat hopping trips until you finally get some real time.
I see too many big boats that sit at the dock rarely being sailed and
we all know the saying that the amount of use a sailboat gets is
inversely proportional to its size.

I wonder how many stories there are of people who actually enjoyed it.
There must be a few.

I think you're right. It does make sense to have a boat you can afford.
We're not looking at a megayacht, which I suppose if we went into hock, we
could "afford" (the very broadest sense of the word). As I said, two of us
are not really too concerned about "jobs" at this point. The other two
are, and we're trying to accomodate everyone.

I think it would be quite reasonable to expect the boat would mostly sit
at the dock for a year, since we're not planning on leaving before that.
Even if we sailed every weeked (which is highly unrealistic - more like
twice a month over the course of the year), that would still have it
mostly sitting. The other three live down that way, so they'd be much more
likely than I to go. In fact, assuming all goes as planned, I would likely
be sailing on school boats, since I'm learning.

--
Nom=de=Plume

How many miles would the sailboat be moored from your residence?

Yes, *that* certainly can be a reason not to use the boat as often as
you like.

I doubt I'd be a candidate for cruising these days. I like boating, but
for a day or for a day or two at a time. But that's just me. I know some
"cruisers" who are really into it. But...if you buy a large boat without
first having cruised, well, you're really buying a pig in a poke.

--
http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym

m...
wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Besides renting for a cruising vacation (like Sunsail or Moorings) how would
one cruise on it before buying? I'm assuming you meant that...

--
Nom=de=Plume

hk hk is offline

m...
wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

By chartering or by being a guest...

--
http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym

"Don White" wrote in message

"nom=de=plume" wrote in message
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

From me it's quite a ways... in a straight line it's probably over 150
miles? Something like that, but driving it's over 2.5 hours with no traffic.

The others are much closer (under 30 miles). If I go down, it would be for
multiple nights (or for multiple days in a class).

I still have work planned into next year, so it's not like I can just move
down there right now.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Dream vs reality Frogwatch Cruising 13 February 13th 07 11:36 PM
Some reality [email protected] Cruising 2 January 13th 06 03:50 AM
Some reality y'all [email protected] ASA 3 January 9th 06 06:00 PM
Reality Check.... Capt. Mooron ASA 1 April 4th 05 01:02 PM
Reality check Skip Gundlach Cruising 10 January 19th 04 04:51 PM