posted to misc.rural,rec.boats

Default Asian Carp Barrier Act - Healthy Lakes - Healthy Lives

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:19:05 -0800, "mgg" wrote:

"elmer" wrote in message
We may have a chance to save the Great lakes if everyone jumps on the band
wagon and "encourages" extreme measures by the government to stop this
threat.
The idiots that imported these thing, in the first place, should be forced
to pay for eliminating them, if even possible.

http://www.healthylakes.org/policy/a...rp-barrier-act

Unfortunately, it's not possible, unless you kill everything else as well.

The key here is to try to find a use for them. We seem to be able to
fish/hunt everything else to near extinction. Are they edible? Probably, but
no one wants to eat carp... at least not in the US. So you gotta rename
them. I don't think that the name "patagonian toothfish" was too palatable
until it was renamed to "chilean sea bass. " Rename them, anything but
"carp."

Maybe they simply aren't palatable... even for fish sticks. I know nothing
about them. Maybe fertilizer? Hell, the pilgrims used to use lobster for
fertilizer, since they were so plentiful. Carp... the next lobster? Who
knows.

--Mike

What you're suggesting isn't to far off from what is in this article;

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5542199

wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:19:05 -0800, "mgg" wrote:

"carp."

Maybe they simply aren't palatable... even for fish sticks. I know nothing
about them. Maybe fertilizer? Hell, the pilgrims used to use lobster for
fertilizer, since they were so plentiful. Carp... the next lobster? Who
knows.

--Mike

What you're suggesting isn't to far off from what is in this article;

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5542199

In this case the fish weren't pet industry fish, nor were they imported
as a food species like the german carp were..The stupid friggin' federal
government imported them for use in sewage treatment plants..Big ****ty
fish..I think people should catch them and mail them back to the federal
government..In fact I think we should have a send a carp to D.C.
campaign wherebye each and every senator, congressman and other federal
official recieves a percentage of the carp population via the mail, UPS,
and FedEx..They should of course be at least three days old upon arrival
and not packed in ice..

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:12:29 GMT, Grizzly wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Here are a couple of videos clips that illustrate the direct dangers
posed to boaters;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA

posted to misc.rural,rec.boats

Per :
Here are a couple of videos clips that illustrate the direct dangers
posed to boaters;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA

Is it the noise from the boat's motor that makes them jump?
--
PeteCresswell
posted to misc.rural,rec.boats

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:28:55 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
Here are a couple of videos clips that illustrate the direct dangers
posed to boaters;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA

Is it the noise from the boat's motor that makes them jump?

That's my understanding. But the carp will jump ahead of an
approaching boat, too. I'm no expert, though. I was speaking with a
retired CAT employee last year who belongs to a Carp Anglers Group in
the Tazewell county area. He told of an an incident in which an Asian
Carp hit a boater in the face, knocking her out of her boat. The
water wasn't deep where she fell in; but, where she fell was very
muddy. Her face was very bloodied, and being stuck in the mud and
water up to her shoulders, she had to wait for someone to come along
to extract her. This apparently happened on the Illinois River.