Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

Asian carp is an invasive species that was introduced by pondsmen in
Arkansas under "careful controls" in order to help them control algae
growth. Well, when the Mississippi flooded like crazy they got into
old man river, are travelling north to the great lakes. It has been a
disaster, crowding out native species and causing other problems.
Worse, fishermen don't like them because their flesh is too "boney".
But I think there would be some advantages to them from a
sportfishing perspective. As a non-native species, there are no bag
limits, lots of fun. As for the eating, many fishermen catch and
release anyway, they're in it for the sport of it. The catch could be
taken to local animal shelters, the hungry cats and dogs aren't as
picky as humans, or they could be ground into excellent fertilizer.
Any experiences out there catching these critters?-Jitney


  #3   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
Tim Tim is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,112
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

On Mar 24, 1:10 pm, Don Piven wrote:
Sez :

Asian carp is an invasive species that was introduced by pondsmen in
Arkansas under "careful controls" in order to help them control algae
growth. Well, when the Mississippi flooded like crazy they got into
old man river, are travelling north to the great lakes. It has been a
disaster, crowding out native species and causing other problems.
Worse, fishermen don't like them because their flesh is too "boney".
But I think there would be some advantages to them from a
sportfishing perspective. As a non-native species, there are no bag
limits, lots of fun. As for the eating, many fishermen catch and
release anyway, they're in it for the sport of it. The catch could be
taken to local animal shelters, the hungry cats and dogs aren't as
picky as humans, or they could be ground into excellent fertilizer.
Any experiences out there catching these critters?-Jitney


Yeah. Use a net. Hold it up in the air and wait for them to jump into
it. I've seen footage of Illinois River anglers being whapped upside
the head by Asian carp jumping over their boats.


They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.

  #4   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment
Tim Tim is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,112
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

On Mar 24, 1:16 pm, "Tim" wrote:
On Mar 24, 1:10 pm, Don Piven wrote:





Sez :


Asian carp is an invasive species that was introduced by pondsmen in
Arkansas under "careful controls" in order to help them control algae
growth. Well, when the Mississippi flooded like crazy they got into
old man river, are travelling north to the great lakes. It has been a
disaster, crowding out native species and causing other problems.
Worse, fishermen don't like them because their flesh is too "boney".
But I think there would be some advantages to them from a
sportfishing perspective. As a non-native species, there are no bag
limits, lots of fun. As for the eating, many fishermen catch and
release anyway, they're in it for the sport of it. The catch could be
taken to local animal shelters, the hungry cats and dogs aren't as
picky as humans, or they could be ground into excellent fertilizer.
Any experiences out there catching these critters?-Jitney


Yeah. Use a net. Hold it up in the air and wait for them to jump into
it. I've seen footage of Illinois River anglers being whapped upside
the head by Asian carp jumping over their boats.


They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


check this out.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...1547a1d8c26e8b

  #5   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

On Mar 24, 2:10 pm, Don Piven wrote:
Sez :

Asiancarpis an invasive species that was introduced by pondsmen in
Arkansas under "careful controls" in order to help them control algae
growth. Well, when the Mississippi flooded like crazy they got into
old man river, are travelling north to the great lakes. It has been a
disaster, crowding out native species and causing other problems.
Worse, fishermen don't like them because their flesh is too "boney".
But I think there would be some advantages to them from a
sportfishing perspective. As a non-native species, there are no bag
limits, lots of fun. As for the eating, many fishermen catch and
release anyway, they're in it for the sport of it. The catch could be
taken to local animal shelters, the hungry cats and dogs aren't as
picky as humans, or they could be ground into excellent fertilizer.
Any experiences out there catching these critters?-Jitney


Yeah. Use a net. Hold it up in the air and wait for them to jump into
it. I've seen footage of Illinois River anglers being whapped upside
the head byAsiancarpjumping over their boats.


hey, i think those guys are here in the suwannee river. fl of
course. well they tell boaters NOT to ride in the bow of the boat cuz
they can cause serious injury. don't know about fishing them here,
haven't heard. just don't want to go boating on the suwanee. people
have had serious injuries, facial lacerations and all. na not for
me!!!!!



  #6   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,649
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

On 24 Mar 2007 09:37:07 -0700, wrote:

Asian carp is an invasive species that was introduced by pondsmen in
Arkansas under "careful controls" in order to help them control algae
growth. Well, when the Mississippi flooded like crazy they got into
old man river, are travelling north to the great lakes. It has been a
disaster, crowding out native species and causing other problems.
Worse, fishermen don't like them because their flesh is too "boney".
But I think there would be some advantages to them from a
sportfishing perspective. As a non-native species, there are no bag
limits, lots of fun. As for the eating, many fishermen catch and
release anyway, they're in it for the sport of it. The catch could be
taken to local animal shelters, the hungry cats and dogs aren't as
picky as humans, or they could be ground into excellent fertilizer.
Any experiences out there catching these critters?-Jitney


Now this is interesting - I wonder how Chuck will react to this post?

You see, this isn't strictly boating related - it's about fishing for
an invasive species. Yet, as you can see from the headers,
sci.environment, misc.kids, misc.rural are included as well as
rec.outdoors.fishing all of which seem appropriate (well, except for
misc.kids, misc.rural) but what does this have to do with rec.boats?

You can't use the excuse that it's boating related because these
beasties can jump out of the water and smack you upside the head
potentially knocking you and drowning you, but there isn't a header
for rec.boating.safety.don't.get.hit.by.a.fish.that.fl ies or
alt.dangerous.flying.fish.

What are the rules here?

  #7   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

snip

What are the rules here?


Whatever you can get away with.


  #8   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,649
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:26:00 -0600, "
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

snip

What are the rules here?


Whatever you can get away with.


Apparently.
  #9   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
Tim Tim is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,112
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

On Mar 24, 2:18 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 24 Mar 2007 09:37:07 -0700, wrote:

Asian carp is an invasive species that was introduced by pondsmen in
Arkansas under "careful controls" in order to help them control algae
growth. Well, when the Mississippi flooded like crazy they got into
old man river, are travelling north to the great lakes. It has been a
disaster, crowding out native species and causing other problems.
Worse, fishermen don't like them because their flesh is too "boney".
But I think there would be some advantages to them from a
sportfishing perspective. As a non-native species, there are no bag
limits, lots of fun. As for the eating, many fishermen catch and
release anyway, they're in it for the sport of it. The catch could be
taken to local animal shelters, the hungry cats and dogs aren't as
picky as humans, or they could be ground into excellent fertilizer.
Any experiences out there catching these critters?-Jitney


Now this is interesting - I wonder how Chuck will react to this post?

You see, this isn't strictly boating related - it's about fishing for
an invasive species. Yet, as you can see from the headers,
sci.environment, misc.kids, misc.rural are included as well as
rec.outdoors.fishing all of which seem appropriate (well, except for
misc.kids, misc.rural) but what does this have to do with rec.boats?

You can't use the excuse that it's boating related because these
beasties can jump out of the water and smack you upside the head
potentially knocking you and drowning you, but there isn't a header
for rec.boating.safety.don't.get.hit.by.a.fish.that.fl ies or
alt.dangerous.flying.fish.

What are the rules here?


misc.kids, misc.rural

I cut those out of my second post

  #10   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,091
Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi


"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...


They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.


Sounds like a crazed E-Tec owner I know.

Eisboch




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You've got to be kidding, leaping carp? Garrison Hilliard General 15 December 7th 07 12:29 AM
How to Buy a Boat for Racing or a Fishing boat icanor Boat Building 0 January 17th 07 11:58 AM
The invasion of the Asian Carp Tim General 8 November 19th 06 10:35 PM
Lanier fishing report for Jan. [email protected] General 0 January 10th 06 03:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 BoatBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Boats"

 

Copyright © 2017