posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,sci.environment,misc.kids,misc.rural
Tim Tim is offline

Default Fishing Asian Carp on the Mississippi

On Mar 24, 3:17 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

oups.com...

They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.

Sounds like a crazed E-Tec owner I know.

Eisboch

But would the carps leave you alone if you have two e-tecs on your
boat?

That would be the same as one 4 cycle, wouldn't it?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:17:59 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
roups.com...

They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.

Sounds like a crazed E-Tec owner I know.

Crazed? E-tec?

Oh wait - that's me.

~~ er ~~

Well, I guess if the shoe fits... :)

"Tim" wrote in message

oups.com...

They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.

Sounds like a crazed E-Tec owner I know.

But would the carps leave you alone if you have two e-tecs on your
boat?

That would be the same as one 4 cycle, wouldn't it?

One ETEC by it'self is worth more than two four cycle engines.

Four cycle outboard engines are for pansies. :)
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 24, 3:28 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 24 Mar 2007 13:21:38 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

On Mar 24, 3:17 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

groups.com...

They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.

Sounds like a crazed E-Tec owner I know.

But would the carps leave you alone if you have two e-tecs on your
boat?

That would be the same as one 4 cycle, wouldn't it?

One ETEC by it'self is worth more than two four cycle engines.

Four cycle outboard engines are for pansies. :)- Hide quoted text -

But if you have two 2 cycle engines, isn'tt hat the same as one 4
cycle engine?

2x2 equals, er, what nathaniel branden talking about again?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:28:53 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Four cycle outboard engines are for pansies. :)

Know a guy with a pair of big 2 stroke diesels - very manly engines I
must say.

Tom, are 'net personas on sale this week or am I imagining things?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:18:40 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On 24 Mar 2007 09:37:07 -0700, wrote:

Asian carp is an invasive species that was introduced by pondsmen in
Arkansas under "careful controls" in order to help them control algae
growth. Well, when the Mississippi flooded like crazy they got into
old man river, are travelling north to the great lakes. It has been a
disaster, crowding out native species and causing other problems.
Worse, fishermen don't like them because their flesh is too "boney".
But I think there would be some advantages to them from a
sportfishing perspective. As a non-native species, there are no bag
limits, lots of fun. As for the eating, many fishermen catch and
release anyway, they're in it for the sport of it. The catch could be
taken to local animal shelters, the hungry cats and dogs aren't as
picky as humans, or they could be ground into excellent fertilizer.
Any experiences out there catching these critters?-Jitney

Now this is interesting - I wonder how Chuck will react to this post?

You see, this isn't strictly boating related - it's about fishing for
an invasive species. Yet, as you can see from the headers,
sci.environment, misc.kids, misc.rural are included as well as
rec.outdoors.fishing all of which seem appropriate (well, except for
misc.kids, misc.rural) but what does this have to do with rec.boats?

You can't use the excuse that it's boating related because these
beasties can jump out of the water and smack you upside the head
potentially knocking you and drowning you, but there isn't a header
for rec.boating.safety.don't.get.hit.by.a.fish.that.fl ies or
alt.dangerous.flying.fish.

What are the rules here?

Let's see.

Sportfishing for Asian Carp, or Beating Muslim Women. I wonder which is
more boating related. Hmmmm....hard choice.

Tom, you're approaching the JimH mentality. In your own words, don't go
there. It's not becoming to you.
--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H

wrote:

Four cycle outboard engines are for pansies. :)

Know a guy with a pair of big 2 stroke diesels - very manly engines I
must say.

Two stroke engines rule!!

Even diesels.

Well, except for my pickup truck.

International 7.3 liter four stroke diesels rule!!

Tom, are 'net personas on sale this week or am I imagining things?

I'm sorry about that - truly. Bad netizenship resurfaced.

Occasionally the muse snaps and I run around screaming for a while to
make the adrenelin rush wear off.

Plus, Mrs. Wave isn't back until tomorrow night and she usually
manages to keep me busy so I don't get into trouble. :)

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:15:43 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:27:14 GMT, Tom Francis
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:17:59 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
egroups.com...

They love the sound of a 2-cycle engine for some reason. they'll jump
right into the boat, and if they hit you, they can knock you down.

Sounds like a crazed E-Tec owner I know.

Crazed? E-tec?

Oh wait - that's me.

~~ er ~~

Well, I guess if the shoe fits... :)

Tom, I see a lot of guys like that E-tec. Lots of punch for the
weight, quiet, smokeless - and expensive.
Which do you run, and what are your impressions?
It seems it took a lot of criticism as it was shaking down
after its intro, but some who have had them a while swear by them.
Might have to consider one for my Mac 26M - if I get that boat of
course. Transom weight is more of an issue on that boat.

Well, ETEC inherited the over done bad press FICHT received - there
have been zero serious ETEC problems reported.

I liked the whole direct injection concept and when I purchased my
Ranger, I bought a Bombardier (not OMC) 200 hp FICHT which lead to
purchasing my first Contender with twin 225 FICHTS which led to
purchasing an ETEC repower for the Ranger which led to twin 225 ETECS
on the second Contender.

I currently own a 200 HO ETEC and it's a great engine. I average 3.5
gph (trolling/cruise/WOT), quiet, efficient, no two stroke smell and
power up the wazoo. Outside of a minor glitch with the EMM software
which was quickly fixed by a software update, I've had zero problems
with it.

I had similar experience with the FICHTs - never had any serious
problems except for one incident that is rare no matter what the
engine is - I lost the stator and that almost never happens.

I'm not sure how you would make one fit the boat you are looking at.

wrote:

I'm not sure how you would make one fit the boat you are looking at.

Thanks. I actually had the FICHT and ETEC confused re the bad press.
You've cleared that up for me.
Some of the Mac 26's are ETEC powered, but with 50's 60's.
Another thing, and it might be because many of the Macs are on the
West Coast, they tend to Suzuki and Honda with bare mention of Yammie
or Merc. Might be a dealership issue.

--Vic