posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default And now that the Witch is dead, so is RBP it seems!

C'mon folks! RBP is what we make of it!

I've taken a hiatus from paddling while I'm (still) going to nursing
school, what's everyone else up to?

John Kuthe...
posted to rec.boats.paddle

I taught some boy scouts their whitewater merit badge this past Sunday
- the young men did pretty well. The afternoon weather turned out ok
for the modest rapids they had to run.

I'd like to hear from more people also. Otherwise, you and I can just
email each other....

So I paddled the Huron River and the Pine River this month, who else
has gone out paddling and where did you go?

Rich
posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Oct 28, 5:28*pm, Rich wrote:
I taught some boy scouts their whitewater merit badge this past Sunday
- the young men did pretty well. *The afternoon weather turned out ok
for the modest rapids they had to run.

I'd like to hear from more people also. *Otherwise, you and I can just
email each other....

So I paddled the Huron River and the Pine River this month, who else
has gone out paddling and where did you go?

Rich

I haven't gone anywhere. For far to long, and although our local river
is up!

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?s...agency_cd=USGS

John Kuthe...
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Huron River paddling

Rich wrote:

So I paddled the Huron River and the Pine River this month, who else
has gone out paddling and where did you go?

What part of the Huron did you do?

Earlier this season we paddled from Island Lake State Rec area down to
Huron Meadows metro park. This is a beautiful lightly traveled part of
the river, but because it's so lightly traveled it's not maintained as
other sections. Due to the severe storms this spring, there we're
*alot* of downed trees. We had to portage about 10 times.

So I'm curious if anyone has done this section recently - there were a
couple of people in wetsuits with chainsaws clearing the trees, but it's
an amateur volunteer effort, not anything organized. I'm wondering
whether the managed to clear it.

The rest of the river was clear - everywhere downstream of McCabe Road
(which BTW, provides excellent river access).

//Walt
posted to rec.boats.paddle

In a previous article, John Kuthe said:
C'mon folks! RBP is what we make of it!

I've taken a hiatus from paddling while I'm (still) going to nursing
school, what's everyone else up to?

Racing season is over, but I'm training for next year. You can see some
of the video on my blog. I have ambitions of doing the 90 Miler one of
these years.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
The Write Many, Read Never drive. For those people that don't know

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Walt wrote:
Rich wrote:

So I'm curious if anyone has done this section recently - there were a
couple of people in wetsuits with chainsaws clearing the trees, but it's
an amateur volunteer effort, not anything organized. I'm wondering
whether the managed to clear it.

The rest of the river was clear - everywhere downstream of McCabe Road
(which BTW, provides excellent river access).

//Walt

So here is a question for you: Is this a legal activity? Who is
responsible for maintaining an open channel. I know I really get
smoked when someone cuts down a tree that is on property I pay taxes on.

Blakely
posted to rec.boats.paddle

"Bit Farmer" wrote in message
Walt wrote:
Rich wrote:

So I'm curious if anyone has done this section recently - there were a
couple of people in wetsuits with chainsaws clearing the trees, but it's
an amateur volunteer effort, not anything organized. I'm wondering
whether the managed to clear it.

The rest of the river was clear - everywhere downstream of McCabe Road
(which BTW, provides excellent river access).

//Walt

So here is a question for you: Is this a legal activity? Who is
responsible for maintaining an open channel. I know I really get
smoked when someone cuts down a tree that is on property I pay taxes on.

Blakely

As far as I know, around here a "navigable waterway" that has been used
consistently is legal to be on, and once the tree is down, it's fair game
(though probably sort of like cutting off Loki's head without touching his
neck.

I've had this conversation with neighbor's about fence (not mine, but the
other side, thankfully). Technically they (tree owner) could complain - but
technically, if the tree is interfering with the fence, the fence owner can
require the tree owner to deal with it, *now*, and any escaped critters,
etc, are the tree owner's liability. Much easier to let the fence owner
trim back (reasonably).

Technically, the public is the river "owner", and as far as I can tell,
barring arguments about what is technically a navigable river (you don't get
to claim it's not navigable because your tree is blocking it, for instance),
I think it's pretty much the same deal.

Cricket

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bit Farmer wrote:
Walt wrote:
Rich wrote:

So I'm curious if anyone has done this section recently - there were a
couple of people in wetsuits with chainsaws clearing the trees, but
it's an amateur volunteer effort, not anything organized. I'm
wondering whether they managed to clear it.

Is this a legal activity? Who is
responsible for maintaining an open channel. I know I really get
smoked when someone cuts down a tree that is on property I pay taxes on.

The trees were already down. They had fallen due to the storms and were
lying on their sides blocking the river. The people weren't cutting
otherwise healthy trees.

I'm not sure what the legality is. I know that the outfitters work to
keep the river clear on the portions used by their customers. They
probably need a permit to do it, but I'm not sure. These were private
individuals clearing the channel so that it's navigable.

No one is responsible for clearing the channel in that stretch of the
river. That's why the volunteers were at it; if they didn't, nobody would.

//Walt
posted to rec.boats.paddle

John Kuthe wrote:
C'mon folks! RBP is what we make of it!

I've taken a hiatus from paddling while I'm (still) going to nursing
school, what's everyone else up to?

I spent the last three years at university, recently got another piece
of paper adding a Msc to my name. Now it's job-hunting again.
I'm still paddling, but because the school holidays messed up my
paddling schedule for the past couple of years, paddling 70+ days a year
is over. Also, I had a pretty bad paddling accident last year, landing
on a rock after going down a dam (basically an artificial waterfall in
the Czech Republic that we ran a lot, where they put big boulders below
the drop against erosion) which has made me a tad less eager to run
harder stuff nowadays.

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Wilko wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:
C'mon folks! RBP is what we make of it!

I've taken a hiatus from paddling while I'm (still) going to nursing
school, what's everyone else up to?

I spent the last three years at university, recently got another piece
of paper adding a Msc to my name. Now it's job-hunting again.
I'm still paddling, but because the school holidays messed up my
paddling schedule for the past couple of years, paddling 70+ days a year
is over. Also, I had a pretty bad paddling accident last year, landing
on a rock after going down a dam (basically an artificial waterfall in
the Czech Republic that we ran a lot, where they put big boulders below
the drop against erosion) which has made me a tad less eager to run
harder stuff nowadays.

Hey Wilko!

Reminds me of the old saying:
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

One of the great benefits to youth is the perception of immortality. The older we get, the more cautious we become because deep down
you know that there is a very fine line between those who walk away from an accident and those who don't - and is is not always
skill that separates the two.

The best thing that ever happened to me was getting married and raising a family. There were some activities I simply gave up
because the risks outweighed the potential enjoyment. There is a level of risk I can live with. The rest I will leave to my
imagination.

Blakely
--
Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

"The best adventure is yet to come"

Ding! Dong! The witch is dead! Rich General 18 November 9th 09 09:22 PM
is this dead or what? Dan Valleskey General 35 October 29th 08 11:50 PM
Wave Ski vs Wave Witch? (PeteCresswell) General 0 September 21st 06 05:02 PM
Dead... Harry Krause General 15 December 2nd 04 01:03 PM
Our Hero is Dead, Dead, Dead John Gaquin General 46 July 2nd 04 12:16 PM