Jack Redington

Default On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ

It will never happen, But it is a nice thought. To many poeple that just
have to exploit everthing. And will continue to do so.

Good luck if you try.

Capt Jack R..

Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:
Ok Noah, go for it! You got my vote.

Capt. Frank

noah wrote:

I have been in contact with the "keeper" of the rec.boats FAQ.

It seems that he left the group a while ago for two reasons:
1.) He was tired of all the Off Topic posting
2.) He realised he was spending too much time on rec.boats, and not
enough time boating.

The FAQ is a wealth of boating (primarily sailing) knowledge. It is
obvious that the founders of this group loved boating. They put in
the time and effort.

PROPOSAL:

1.) That we, as a group, decide to return rec.boats to a "boating"
newsgroup.
2.) That we, as a group, acknowledge the importance of "chit-chat",
political argument, and general nonsense by supporting the creation of
rec.boats.lounge, or some similarly named group, where the
conversation is unlimited.

Personally, I have benefitted from other's boating knowledge in this
group.

I also admit (mea culpa) to participating in some OT threads. Ideas
and personalities are interesting, sometimes provocative, and
sometimes infuriating. It is also true that we have lost regs and
newbies because of the OT posts.

Can we take that portion of the experience next door?

I am willing to do the process (3 to 6 months) to create a discussion
group for rec.boats. Is there any support for this effort?

My personal opinion is that there is a tremendous wealth of boating
information and experience here. Far more than any individual could
hope to experience. This treasure is also often buried under tons of
political opinion. I think that this is a mistake.

This issue has been raised before. It has either never received
adequate support to move it forward, or the people involved have not
been able or willing to do it.

I am not suggesting "moderation" of rec.boats, simply an updated FAQ
and a seperate discussion group for OT stuff.

Response from posters and lurkers is appreciated. It's not worth the
effort if nobody cares.

Regards,
noah

Off topic messages werlax General 16 September 28th 03 03:49 AM
On Topic: Near Perfect Day on the Bay Don White General 2 September 8th 03 03:30 AM
Rec.boats members and lurkers Butch Ammon General 18 August 30th 03 11:41 PM
OFF TOPIC: Computer Video Capture Card ?? Gary Warner General 3 August 15th 03 06:38 PM
Manifolds and risers -- help (on topic!!) JohnH General 0 August 13th 03 09:48 PM