Default Florida Boating [NOT}

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:52:41 -0400, John H
wrote:

Are you on your boat, Wayne? If not, and it's a cruise, tell us more.
What line, how do you like it, etc.

We are aboard the cruise ship Island Princess, very nice but not quite
the same as being on our own boat. It would be a *very* long trip to
bring the GB up here from Florida however. We are very pleased with
the trip so far. Princess did a great job with the land portion of
the trip, starting in Fairbanks, AK with a number of excursions taking
us south through and around Denali Park, ending up in Anchorage and
Whittier where we linked up with the cruise ship. Glacier Bay
certainly ranks as one of the high points so far, the other being our
fly over of Mt McKinley in a small plane.

Tomorrow we'll be in Skagway with a river excursion on a jet boat,
Juneau the next day with a helicopter ride to a glacier landing, then
Ketchikan with a float plane excursion inland.

Another highlight of the trip was three days in the San Juan Islands
north of Seattle that we arranged on our own with a little guidance
from Chuck Gould. Chuck tipped us to a great place to stay called the
Roche Harbor Resort which was really first class in every way.

Internet service on the ship is 40 cents per minute so pictures will
have to wait until later.

jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

When I saw the points on your trip map I thought you'd chartered out
of Anacortes. The San Juans have many stopping points as idylic as
Roche but it's certainly one of the bright spots if traveling by car.

If you enjoyed the look and surroundings, I'd recommend chartering out
of Anacortes someday and making a trek of your own. There's many,
more remote destinations that are nourishment for the soul. It's a
unique area. Chuck has visited and written about most if not all so
he's an excellent source.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Don White wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
Arguably one of the most beautiful bodies of water in the world:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Well, I am so stupid, at first I thought that was a map of the west coast
of Florida, and I am going, well it looks like he is boating to me.

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

You'd better stick to small shallow lakes...where you can't get lost.

Don,

Not only have I lived on 3 continents. I have been boating and sailing
all over, including lakes smaller than Lanier, all the Great Lakes,
except for Superior, the Atlantic and the Caribbean. While I have done
out on charter boats in the Pacific, I have never been at the helm when
boating in the Pacific. I actually have been boating up and down the
coast of NS, we went out about 100 miles off the coast of NS, sailing
from Sidney to Halifax. I found Halifax to be a quaint town, nice
downtown tourist area, very clean, and the people were very polite and
helpful. I would guess either your online persona has nothing to do
with the way you behave in the real world, or you are a social outcast
in Halifax. If I had to bet, I would go with social outcast.

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

This Newsgroup post is a natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in
no way are to be considered flaws or defects

Wayne.B wrote:
Arguably one of the most beautiful bodies of water in the world:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Well, I am so stupid, at first I thought that was a map of the west
coast of Florida, and I am going, well it looks like he is boating to
me.

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

You'd better stick to small shallow lakes...where you can't get lost.

Don,

Not only have I lived on 3 continents. I have been boating and sailing
all over, including lakes smaller than Lanier, all the Great Lakes,
except for Superior, the Atlantic and the Caribbean. While I have BEEN
out on charter boats in the Pacific, I have never been at the helm when
boating in the Pacific. I actually have been boating up and down the
coast of NS, we went out about 100 miles off the coast of NS, sailing
from Sidney to Halifax. I found Halifax to be a quaint town, nice
downtown tourist area, very clean, and the people were very polite and
helpful. I would guess either your online persona has nothing to do
with the way you behave in the real world, or you are a social outcast
in Halifax. If I had to bet, I would go with social outcast.

Don, I figured I would save you the trouble of correcting my error.

Wayne.B wrote:
Arguably one of the most beautiful bodies of water in the world:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

Well, I am so stupid, at first I thought that was a map of the west coast
of Florida, and I am going, well it looks like he is boating to me.

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

You'd better stick to small shallow lakes...where you can't get lost.

PS - While you have been fetching beers for your son, providing him free
rent and food, doing his laundry, paying his car note and auto
insurance, because he does not earn enough to do any of that himself,
my son graduated Cum Laude from Columbia University. He then moved to
Boston for a 9 months, earned enough money to spend 9 months traveling
SE Asia, India and Africa. While he was in Thailand, he applied for and
was accepted to a 6 year fellowship to teach and earn his Phd, at one of
the top schools in his field. My oldest daughter graduated Magna Cum
Laude from U of Mich. and she also DID NOT move back home. My youngest
is the closest we have to a "home body", and she goes to Emory, which is
about 10 miles from home, but she still lives on campus and does her own
laundry at school. I have taught my children to be self sufficient, and
helped provide them with the skills to move from adolescents to adulthood.

You on the other hand, had to work as a Civil Servant, in a job you felt
was underpaid, and overwork, and as you stated treated their employees
poorly. You stated you went years without a pay raise, because you were
to scared to leave Halifax. So you really do want to be careful about
talking about "small ponds" to anyone.

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

This Newsgroup post is a natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in
no way are to be considered flaws or defects

On Thu, 21 May 2009 07:19:15 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

Not only have I lived on 3 continents. I have been boating and sailing
all over, including lakes smaller than Lanier, all the Great Lakes,
except for Superior, the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

Yes, but have you rounded the Horn in a 12 foot dinghy when your
Zimmerman lobster boat sank fighting 100 foot seas and 200 mph winds
arriving in New York to a fire boat welcome being towed by a pod of
Orcas that you personally trained after repelling pirates and fending
off a 27 foot Great White shark who mistook your boat for a seal?
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Not only have I lived on 3 continents. I have been boating and sailing
all over, including lakes smaller than Lanier, all the Great Lakes,
except for Superior, the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

Yes, but have you rounded the Horn in a 12 foot dinghy when your
Zimmerman lobster boat sank fighting 100 foot seas and 200 mph winds
arriving in New York to a fire boat welcome being towed by a pod of
Orcas that you personally trained after repelling pirates and fending
off a 27 foot Great White shark who mistook your boat for a seal?

I doubt Reggie comes out of the closet long enough to make a beer run.

You didn't really stick etecs on a grady, did you? Anathema.

wrote:

Not only have I lived on 3 continents. I have been boating and sailing
all over, including lakes smaller than Lanier, all the Great Lakes,
except for Superior, the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

Yes, but have you rounded the Horn in a 12 foot dinghy when your
Zimmerman lobster boat sank fighting 100 foot seas and 200 mph winds
arriving in New York to a fire boat welcome being towed by a pod of
Orcas that you personally trained after repelling pirates and fending
off a 27 foot Great White shark who mistook your boat for a seal?

Oh, did I forget to mention that?

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

This Newsgroup post is a natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in
no way are to be considered flaws or defects

wrote:

Not only have I lived on 3 continents. I have been boating and sailing
all over, including lakes smaller than Lanier, all the Great Lakes,
except for Superior, the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

Yes, but have you rounded the Horn in a 12 foot dinghy when your
Zimmerman lobster boat sank fighting 100 foot seas and 200 mph winds
arriving in New York to a fire boat welcome being towed by a pod of
Orcas that you personally trained after repelling pirates and fending
off a 27 foot Great White shark who mistook your boat for a seal?

Oh, did I forget to mention that?

Well yes - you did.

But I'll bet you never sailed to Hawaii on a inflatable kiddie pool
using a sail made of woven kelp leaves and hung on a telephone pole
you found floating half way after you got tired of battling a Pacific
typhoon and giant waves by way of Japan dressed only in a Speedo
feeding youself along the way using fine German screwdrivers bent into
hooks to catch giant Green Marlin and Blue Whales arriving to dancing
dolphins who sang in a language only you could understand while
rainbows flooded the sky with light as a beautiful Polynesian Princess
took your virginity at the age of 12 in celebration of your incredible
adventure.

wrote:

[...]

Did I ever tell you about the time I was attacked by a Tostito?

Or was that a Dorito?

I am not sure, but it was one angry salty snack.

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

This Newsgroup post is a natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in
no way are to be considered flaws or defects

Ping: Wayne B (or other SW Florida to Florida Keys veterans) NOYB General 2 February 5th 07 08:32 PM
Old boating hazard getting new attention in Florida [email protected] General 3 May 17th 06 01:00 PM
Life-saving barfight in Florida boating town basskisser General 1 February 10th 05 12:41 PM
Age limit for boating in Florida CFLav8r General 6 May 24th 04 07:44 PM
Powerboat Schools in South Florida? -- Has anyone used SW Florida Yachts? Richard Kaplan Cruising 2 February 17th 04 04:16 PM