Default Wanted..one small utility trailer

What to do?
Now that the Ranger pickup has gone back off lease, I have an occasional use
for a small utility trailer.
Here's what I'm looking at right now...
Lifetime fold-up 4' x 6' model capable of carrying 1000 lbs. Canadian Tire
has them on sale next week at $800.00 CDN.
pros...small & light...very easy to store on small city lot. deck made of
galvanized corrugated steel
cons... way more moving parts to sieze & rust...light duty.. inside
dimensions just a hair too small for laying 4' wide sheets flat,
frame is powder coated steel

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...%2BTrailer.jsp

DuraTrail 52" x 100" galvanized Econo Utility with landscape ramp
pros..can easily carry full sheets of plywood, gyproc etc
hot dipped galvanized for long lasting in our salt air climate/ winter road
salt
can carry approx 1700 lbs
cons.. 2.5 times the cost.....$1900.00 down here (only $1500.00 in Ontario
where they are built)
might be a bit awkward to move around & store on a small lot

http://www.trailerworld.ca/detail-1-...econo-box-.php

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...lers/Trailers/...

DuraTrail 52" x 100" galvanized Econo Utility with landscape ramp
pros..can easily carry full sheets of plywood, gyproc etc
hot dipped galvanized for long lasting in our salt air climate/ winter road
salt
can carry approx 1700 lbs
cons.. *2.5 times the cost.....$1900.00 down here (only $1500.00 in Ontario
where they are built)
might be a bit awkward to move around & store on a small lot

http://www.trailerworld.ca/detail-1-...econo-box-.php

Should have thought it through when you bought the chick car.
HK HK is offline

Don White wrote:
[...]

Got a trailer rental joint anywhere near?

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Don White wrote:
[...]

Naw...that's the problem.
U-Haul keeps it's crappy worn out trailers across the harbour and the
utility type are few & far between.
Those larger enclosed models people use for moving would max out my RAV4s
towing limit before I loaded a 2" x 4".
Actually when you add up the yearly license fee ( $40 ) + yearly safety
checks ( $15 ) plus depreciation I could probably rent a pickup two or
three times a year and break even... especially with the $1900. model.

On Fri, 8 May 2009 15:44:32 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

[...]

Oh man - I just sold one for $200 - Snowbear made in Ontario - I never
used the dang thing so I just sold it to the first guy to give me $200
for it.

wrote:

Now that the Ranger pickup has gone back off lease, I have an occasional use
for a small utility trailer.

What did you replace it with?

On Fri, 8 May 2009 16:03:19 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

Got a trailer rental joint anywhere near?

Naw...that's the problem.
U-Haul keeps it's crappy worn out trailers across the harbour and the
utility type are few & far between.
Those larger enclosed models people use for moving would max out my RAV4s
towing limit before I loaded a 2" x 4".
Actually when you add up the yearly license fee ( $40 ) + yearly safety
checks ( $15 ) plus depreciation I could probably rent a pickup two or
three times a year and break even... especially with the $1900. model.

Can you put a rack on the RAV4?
I've hauled outrageous stuff on the top of my cars.
Ropes all over the place, etc.
Bought a cheap removable rack for my Celebrity, but never used it.
Didn't trust it.
I collected a lot of 2x4's that I bought just to provide a base for
4x8 sheet materials on the rooftop.
Use old blankets to protect the roof.
Last thing I brought home was a 40 gallon water heater. Big box.
Use lots of rope and wrap it every which way but loose.
Makes you wish you still had the pickup. but it cost too much to keep
one around for real occasional stuff.
Delivery charges aren't too bad anyway.
I'm not recommending this, but my brother drove over here, about 30
miles, with 24' gutters tied to the top of a Chevy Cavalier.
I thought that was bad, but I told a guy at work to get his gutters
rolled to size and not use joined sections.
That guy had a little Chrysler k-car size thing.
Turns out he was too cheap to have the roller truck come out, so he
tied a 40 foot gutter to the top of the car and drove it home.
Beats me how he made it without getting pulled over.
I'd pay to see that trip.

--Vic

wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

Yiikes...I travelled a couple of city blocks with 12' and 18' roof gutters
on my Plymouth Voyager's roof......but it'll be at least 7 or 8 years before
I try anything crazy with the new RAV4. Heck..it's not 6 weeks old yet and
has about 1050 km ( 650 miles?) We're just through the break-in period.

wrote:

Now that the Ranger pickup has gone back off lease, I have an occasional
use
for a small utility trailer.

What did you replace it with?

An '09 Toyota RAV4 with the 179hp 4 cyl engine. plenty to transport me,
wife & the dog and tow the Yukon a the same time.