jmac

Default small boat trailer -- light install

A quick question from a complete novice.

I recently purchased a small fishing boat (12 ft. aluminum) and
trailer from a private individual. The trailer, I think, is from a
"kit" and the seller installed the wiring and lights himself.
However, they are not working when hooked up to my Hyundai Santa Fe,
which came equipped with a tow package. It has a "universal" light
hook-up/plug.

I'm told the reason for this is that the Hyundai, like many other
vehicles, has separate lights/circuits for tail lights and turn signal
lights. Advice has varied -- "you need a splitter"; "you need to take
apart your Hyundai lights"; etc., etc.

This can't be the first time someone has tried to do this. It doesn't
seem that I must "take apart" the lights on my vehicle. There must be
an easier way.

Is there a certain kind of lighting/electrical kit sold to accomodate
this kind of vehicle? Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly
appreciated..................jmac
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 30 Aug 2004 17:05:29 -0700, (jmac) wrote:

[...]

Is the "universal" plug a seven pin round or four pin flat?

If it's the seven pin round, then the chances are that the trailer is
wired incorrectly.

All you need to do is obtain a test light, find out which connector on
the car is right - left/brake/parking lights and match those up with
the trailer connector.

Here is a URL to help you out.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Tony Thomas

Chances are you have a ground problem on the trailer. He probably never
connected the ground wire on the wiring harness. Most trailers will ground
thru the ball but this can be a problem and/or intermittent.
Connect the white wire from the trailer plug on the trailer to the trailer
itself making sure you have a good ground. Also check the grounds on the
lights themselves. He may not have removed any paint or the contact points
are corroded.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"jmac" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 31 Aug 2004 08:56:54 -0700, (basskisser) wrote:

(jmac) wrote in message . com...
[...]

My jeep had separate stop, turn signal lights. The "splitter is
available at a parts store for about 10 bucks. It is very simple, in
that you don't need to splice any wires. You simply unplug the light
connector, plug in this splitter device, and bingo, you're done.

Learn something new everyday.

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM