posted to alt.sailing

Default NADA boat prices

I was just wondering if the NADA prices might be a little inflated given
the state of the economy? How much do you think they are inflated by?

Seems like now would be a good time to get a good deal.

--
Ken T.
http://www.electricsenator.net

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad
name.
-- Henry Kissinger
posted to alt.sailing

On 04 Apr 2009 10:21:28 GMT, "Ken T." wrote:

I was just wondering if the NADA prices might be a little inflated given
the state of the economy? How much do you think they are inflated by?

Seems like now would be a good time to get a good deal.

NADA re-calculates constantly.

You have to buy a subscription ($$$) to get their best information.
posted to alt.sailing

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 07:52:20 -0400, salty wrote:

On 04 Apr 2009 10:21:28 GMT, "Ken T." wrote:

I was just wondering if the NADA prices might be a little inflated given
the state of the economy? How much do you think they are inflated by?

Seems like now would be a good time to get a good deal.

NADA re-calculates constantly.

You have to buy a subscription ($$$) to get their best information.

That may be, but the data must be a few months old no matter how often
they recalculate. You don't have to go back but a few months and the
economy was much better. Unemployment hit a 25 year high this week.

Doesn't that indicate that boat prices would be trending down?

--
Ken T.
http://www.electricsenator.net

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad
name.
-- Henry Kissinger
posted to alt.sailing

"Ken T." wrote in message
. com...
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 07:52:20 -0400, salty wrote:

On 04 Apr 2009 10:21:28 GMT, "Ken T." wrote:

I was just wondering if the NADA prices might be a little inflated given
the state of the economy? How much do you think they are inflated by?

Seems like now would be a good time to get a good deal.

NADA re-calculates constantly.

You have to buy a subscription ($$$) to get their best information.

That may be, but the data must be a few months old no matter how often
they recalculate. You don't have to go back but a few months and the
economy was much better. Unemployment hit a 25 year high this week.

Doesn't that indicate that boat prices would be trending down?

It is my understanding that a lot of the low end transfers will be 'off the
books' so to speak. People stop paying marina fees, marina takes it and put
it up in a lien sale, new owner may just strip it for parts.

Lots of people that had money before still have it so IMO there hasn't been
a lot of overt movement in boat prices. That is if someone was living on
their boat and paying slip fees with their social security check the
situation will literally be the same until they die.

Anyway, my suggestion if you are looking for a bargain would be to contact
marinas and ask if they have any lien sales coming up. A lot of the boats
are really rough but you will be getting 50-90% off. The marinas will ask
you to leave, not politely, to eliminate the possibility of the old owner
showing up and causing a scene. You will give most of the money you saved
back to things like a haul out, marine survey, and moving the boat but you
can come out ahead if you pick right.

Rick

posted to alt.sailing

On 04 Apr 2009 12:33:57 GMT, "Ken T." wrote:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 07:52:20 -0400, salty wrote:

On 04 Apr 2009 10:21:28 GMT, "Ken T." wrote:

I was just wondering if the NADA prices might be a little inflated given
the state of the economy? How much do you think they are inflated by?

Seems like now would be a good time to get a good deal.

NADA re-calculates constantly.

You have to buy a subscription ($$$) to get their best information.

That may be, but the data must be a few months old no matter how often
they recalculate.

??? What makes you think that?

The dealers can now report sales in real time electronically. They can
also access Motor Vehicle records in real time.

posted to alt.sailing

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 09:39:02 -0700, richard cortese wrote:

Anyway, my suggestion if you are looking for a bargain would be to
contact marinas and ask if they have any lien sales coming up. A lot of
the boats are really rough but you will be getting 50-90% off. The
marinas will ask you to leave, not politely, to eliminate the
possibility of the old owner showing up and causing a scene. You will
give most of the money you saved back to things like a haul out, marine
survey, and moving the boat but you can come out ahead if you pick
right.

Maybe I'll give this a shot. I ran into this problem before when trying
to price out marina's in the area. How does one find the numbers for
marinas within a couple hundred miles? Is there a marina listing
somewhere that is relatively complete?

When I was looking for this before I really had no luck.

Thanks for the info!

--
Ken T.
http://www.electricsenator.net

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free
State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
infringed. -- The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
posted to alt.sailing

On 06 Apr 2009 08:39:47 GMT, "Ken T." wrote:

[...]

This should get you started:

http://www.marinafind.com/

http://www.activecaptain.com/

http://marinas.com/

You could also buy a cruiing guide for your area that would have the
information.

posted to alt.sailing

"Ken T." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Salty posted some leads. You might want to add craigslist.com and any
storage yards too. Not that it applies to you or your area but someone just
gave away a ~24' Viking kit boat locally to me. There was a local storage
yard that was selling 4 sailboats on trailers, stuff like 24' Columbia,
Islander, et cetera for $1000 bucks each. The boats probably weren't worth
half that but it is hard to find a good trailer.grin My son was thinking
about wrecking them for usable equipment and the lead in their keels so we
could get a double axle trailer.

Rick

posted to alt.sailing

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:22:12 -0700, "richard cortese"
said:

You might want to add craigslist.com and any
storage yards too. Not that it applies to you or your area but someone
just
gave away a ~24' Viking kit boat locally to me. There was a local storage
yard that was selling 4 sailboats on trailers, stuff like 24' Columbia,
Islander, et cetera for $1000 bucks each.

I recently saw an ad on Craig's list in which the owner of a 1968 Islander
Bahama located on Norwalk was giving the boat away. I believe I've seen
the
boat in the yard, and the topsides looked to be in decent shape with the
original gelcoat. I sailed one for about 15 years, and if they don't have
problem with deck core rot, they're very decent boats.

My boat is a 1966 Islander Bahama. Cheapest thing about the boat was its
purchase but then I guess everyone here probably knows that. My sons and
their yahoo buddies take the boat out a couple of times a week and it is
built like a tank. They've managed to run it aground several times, hit a
barge, a dock, et cetera, w/o doing more then scuff the paint. I would like
a boat with a little more cabin room and a swing keel for heading up the
Sacramento Delta. My sons would like a boat that was faster but the Islander
is a great compromise all things considered.

Rick