posted to alt.sailing
richard cortese richard cortese is offline

Default NADA boat prices

"Ken T." wrote in message
om...
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 09:39:02 -0700, richard cortese wrote:

Anyway, my suggestion if you are looking for a bargain would be to
contact marinas and ask if they have any lien sales coming up. A lot of
the boats are really rough but you will be getting 50-90% off. The
marinas will ask you to leave, not politely, to eliminate the
possibility of the old owner showing up and causing a scene. You will
give most of the money you saved back to things like a haul out, marine
survey, and moving the boat but you can come out ahead if you pick
right.

Maybe I'll give this a shot. I ran into this problem before when trying
to price out marina's in the area. How does one find the numbers for
marinas within a couple hundred miles? Is there a marina listing
somewhere that is relatively complete?

When I was looking for this before I really had no luck.

Thanks for the info!

Salty posted some leads. You might want to add craigslist.com and any
storage yards too. Not that it applies to you or your area but someone just
gave away a ~24' Viking kit boat locally to me. There was a local storage
yard that was selling 4 sailboats on trailers, stuff like 24' Columbia,
Islander, et cetera for $1000 bucks each. The boats probably weren't worth
half that but it is hard to find a good trailer.grin My son was thinking
about wrecking them for usable equipment and the lead in their keels so we
could get a double axle trailer.

Rick