Default Replacing tilt (aka trailer) switch on mercruiser

I'm updating a lot of the switches on my dash, and have been able to
figure most of them out, except one. I have a tilt switch that is
separate from the trim for safety. It is a momentary switch, but I'm
not sure what the replacement would be. My guess would be a momentary
SPDT, with the wires being, power in, power out (up) and power out
(down). Does this sound correct? Also, I'm putting breakers for
every switch on the dash. Would the appropriate one for the tilt be
about 50a? Thanks,

John

On Mar 29, 11:47*pm, Dead Ringer wrote:
I'm updating a lot of the switches on my dash, and have been able to
figure most of them out, except one. *I have a tilt switch that is
separate from the trim for safety. *It is a momentary switch, but I'm
not sure what the replacement would be. *My guess would be a momentary
SPDT, with the wires being, power in, power out (up) and power out
(down). *Does this sound correct? *Also, I'm putting breakers for
every switch on the dash. *Would the appropriate one for the tilt be
about 50a? *Thanks,

John

If your present switch has three wires, then I beleive you're correct
on the SPDT momentary. That switch should not be carrying the primary
current to run the tilt motor, however. It's most likely operating a
relay or two back at the motor that carries the current. Current
flowing through your helm switch should be no more than an amp or two,
just enough to activate the coil in the relay.

On Mar 30, 12:04*pm, wrote:
[...]

The trailer switch activates the same relay as the trim up switch.
The difference is that the trailer switch bypasses the trim limit on
the side of the outdrive.

SPDT it is. Thanks! Just talked to Ward's Marine Electric and am
very excited about the new panel that they will be fabricating for
me. Should really dress up the helm.

*Current
flowing through your helm switch should be no more than an amp or two,
just enough to activate the coil in the relay.

So this would mean I only need a 5a breaker on this switch and the
fuse for the large draw relay would be elsewhere (say in the motor
wiring harness)? Thanks again for the help.

On Mar 30, 11:14*pm, Dead Ringer wrote:
**Current

flowing through your helm switch should be no more than an amp or two,
just enough to activate the coil in the relay.

So this would mean I only need a 5a breaker on this switch and the
fuse for the large draw relay would be elsewhere (say in the motor
wiring harness)? *Thanks again for the help.

Five amps would be more than enough to activate the trim relay.
You're correct, the trim motor circuit is fused seperately somewhere
in the harness. I don't know exactly how your motor harness is wired,
but you can bet they didn't run the trim motor current through the
switch at the helm. It would take a large switch and some heavy wires
to handle that. It's just a low current control circuit that switches
a relay back at the motor. The big current is on some short, heavier
wires back at the motor.

Good luck!.