[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default Replacing tilt (aka trailer) switch on mercruiser

On Mar 30, 12:04*pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 11:47*pm, Dead Ringer wrote:

I'm updating a lot of the switches on my dash, and have been able to
figure most of them out, except one. *I have a tilt switch that is
separate from the trim for safety. *It is a momentary switch, but I'm
not sure what the replacement would be. *My guess would be a momentary
SPDT, with the wires being, power in, power out (up) and power out
(down). *Does this sound correct? *Also, I'm putting breakers for
every switch on the dash. *Would the appropriate one for the tilt be
about 50a? *Thanks,

John

If your present switch has three wires, then I beleive you're correct
on the SPDT momentary. *That switch should not be carrying the primary
current to run the tilt motor, however. *It's most likely operating a
relay or two back at the motor that carries the current. *Current
flowing through your helm switch should be no more than an amp or two,
just enough to activate the coil in the relay.

The trailer switch activates the same relay as the trim up switch.
The difference is that the trailer switch bypasses the trim limit on
the side of the outdrive.