[email protected] threepontoon@live.com is offline

Default Replacing tilt (aka trailer) switch on mercruiser

On Mar 30, 11:14*pm, Dead Ringer wrote:
**Current

flowing through your helm switch should be no more than an amp or two,
just enough to activate the coil in the relay.

So this would mean I only need a 5a breaker on this switch and the
fuse for the large draw relay would be elsewhere (say in the motor
wiring harness)? *Thanks again for the help.

Five amps would be more than enough to activate the trim relay.
You're correct, the trim motor circuit is fused seperately somewhere
in the harness. I don't know exactly how your motor harness is wired,
but you can bet they didn't run the trim motor current through the
switch at the helm. It would take a large switch and some heavy wires
to handle that. It's just a low current control circuit that switches
a relay back at the motor. The big current is on some short, heavier
wires back at the motor.

Good luck!.