Default Mercruiser impeller replacing

After asking questions and getting answers from this NG, and buying a
manual and needed parts, I decided I was ready to tackle this "easy"
job of replacing the impeller. This is the generation 2 unit and
everything went smooth and just like all of the instructions said,
UNTILL trying to mate the two halves together. I don't know how in the
world one person can lift that heavy sucker and at the same time guide
the drive shaft to mate where it is supposed to, and guide the water
tubes and couplers to meet where they are supossed to, not to mention
you can't even see the things to begin with. I tried and tried till
the muscles between my shoulder blades separated and had to give up.
If someone has designed a mechanical lift to do this, I sure would
like to have the plans. You people that say you do this as part of a
yearly routine, must have an easy way.
HJJ
M-Tech

Bingo, made a "jig" out of wood that mates the jack to the lower. I don't
need no stinkin' help :-)

Don

Try a floor jack and somebody to help guide.

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:26:27 -0500, "M-Tech"
wrote:

Bingo, made a "jig" out of wood that mates the jack to the lower. I don't
need no stinkin' help :-)

YAY!!!!

Later,

Tom

M-Tech, do you by any chance live in Austin, TX. Well, thanks anyway.
HJJ

M-Tech

No. York, PA actually.

Don

wrote in message ...
M-Tech, do you by any chance live in Austin, TX. Well, thanks anyway.
HJJ

JamesgangNC

You get used to it :-) Helps a lot to find a helper though. About half the
time I take the whole out drive off. As one piece it's a lot heavier but
there is not much to line up putting it back.

wrote in message ...
[...]

bowgus

Yeah ... do the impeller same time as the u-joint lube etc ... when the
outdrive is off (only in my case it's have the marina guy do it) and in the
fall when business is slow. The fall's also as good a time as well to change
the outdrive gear lube (which will have to be done if the outdrive is split
to do the impeller). Anyway ... 2 birds with one stone sort of thing.

.net...

wrote in message ...
[...]

Question about older Mercruiser inboard Lenny Stover General 9 July 14th 04 12:51 PM
Merc.140 Impeller fails again after 5 seamiles Friedrich Schübeck General 1 June 26th 04 07:16 PM
Replacing impeller, 1954 Evinrude 7.5 hp Fast Twin RV-NOW General 0 June 7th 04 11:33 PM
Impeller help needed Camilo General 3 April 30th 04 09:05 AM
Impeller Change Baybyter Cruising 8 September 7th 03 03:40 AM