Default Translation to English, please ........

On Mar 18, 4:42*pm, HK wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
wrote:

The additive package is specified by the OEM, but that doesn't mean
it's any better that the oil company's own additive mixture.

Here's one example to at least show my position. BRP's TCW-3 contains
the additive "Carbon Guard" which is also available separately as a
bottled product through its dealers. It's a product I not only believe
in, it's what I use to clean my pistons when rebuilding. I have said
lots on this topic before and I'm afraid I just don't have the time to
re-type it all again - where is Dejanews when you need it? ;-)

In fact,
the motor OEM really doesn't have any reason to make their motor last
any longer than the warranty period... they make far more money on
motor sales than oil sales. *The oil manufacturers, i.e Penzoil, *do*
rely on their reputation as an oil supplier. *They *do* have a reason
to make good oil. *It's their main business. *Add another 2 cents of
good additives above the OEM package and they're good to go.

Yes and no. The oil companies RARELY get blamed for an oil failure, and
the truth is, there are few if any true oil quality related failures in
the short term in my business. Where I see the result is years of using
crappy oil that causes carbon build up and 'coking' which cause
detonation and piston failure. People NEVER blame the oil for that, it's
always the OEM that takes it in the pants at the watering hole.

The OEM don't really "require" anyone to do anything when making their
OEM oil, anyway. *They go out for bid on a certain color oil bottle
with the logo placed just so, with, in your words, an additive package
that "costs an extra nickel", then they charge twice what the oil
company's TC-W3 goes for. *All for the LOWEST BID oil to be used in a
motor that they hope wears out soon so you'll buy another.

I would have to agree to disagree then. I do honestly agree that the oil
is better, but concede the cost of the better product is out of
proportion to the price. I would still pay to get it. You have no idea
of the warranty issues we have with aftermarket parts/products and if
people think they're 'just as good' they should stop in and see the pile
of crap from China sitting on my office floor that the aftermarket guys
are fighting me on. I refuse to use it anymore.

Being a dealer and making your living selling marine equipment and
overpriced oil, would you be a bit biased in your recommendation?
Nah... :-)

I know that's tongue in cheek jab, but I really do get tired of having
to defend my position regarding bias. This NG is international in scope
and what I say in here doesn't make me a single penny (although there is
certainly a cost to productivity at my desk). I have spent most of my
life educating boaters about the correct choices to make, and in the end
it really and truly doesn't matter to me what choice they make once they
have full information. I'd like to think my contributions to this NG
(when I can filter through the crap) merit at least some indication of
my credibility, plus I have "Tech Tip" pages where again, I didn't make
a penny writing any of it, nor do I make anything every time someone
reads and benefits from it (they are the busiest pages on my site BTW).

I better get back to work now.... ;-)

Crikey! (my nod to internationalism)

I had a series of Merc two cycles, and never ever used used anything
except the manufacturer's correct and branded oil. The two dealers I
patronized bought their oil in bulk and decanted it into one gallon jugs.

I don't recall the price difference between the Merc-branded oil and the
non-motor-brand stuff, but it wasn't very significant. More important, I
didn't think the price of the oil was a significant factor in the
considerations of what to use in an $8000 (at the time) outboard motor.

I have a four cycle outboard now. The dealer changes the oil and filter
for me at the end of the season, and I can change both mid-season if
need be. I believe the selling price of my current engine is about
$11000 or so. Too expensive for my puttering.

If it is under the hood, I let the dealer handle it.

--
Appearing via Thunderbird on an iMac 3.06
or a Macbook Pro 2.4, running Mac OS 10.56,

Wait a minute. You have claimed to have a degree in Mechanical
Engineering and are afraid to do anything to something as simple as an
outboard motor??????

Appearing via Google on an ordinary laptop
or an ordinary desktop running Windows XP
*or* Windows XP Media

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:42:24 -0400, HK wrote:

considerations of what to use in an $8000 (at the time) outboard motor.

I have a four cycle outboard now. The dealer changes the oil and filter
for me at the end of the season, and I can change both mid-season if
need be. I believe the selling price of my current engine is about
$11000 or so.

My wife's Lincoln has a 330 cid four cam 32 valve motor. It developed
a leaky valve guide at 175k. We figured the handwriting was on the
wall, and put in another motor for 5500. The replacement mill has a
75k warranty. Why are outboats so pricy? The motor in my wife's truck
would make a nice inboard motor, for less than 11 000. In the
Navigator they rate it at 300 hp.

Casady

On Mar 29, 2:46*pm, "A Real Boater" wrote:
On Mar 18, 2009, wrote:

Horse****. The only difference between 2 and 3 is that 3 has a tad bit
more anti-carbon agent in it. Now, I know you will start your idiotic
and childish name calling, so let's cut to the chase. Show me the
"significant" differences.

Wonderful. A pot-head giving a beered-up redneck advice on safe operation of
an engine.

Here's what you want to hear: Go ahead and use up your 10 year old
crap-for-oil. It won't hurt your engine inspite of what everybody says.
Happy?

Can't prove me wrong, because I'm right. So, you insult like a little
school girl. What makes you think I'm a "pot-head"? Have any proof of
your wild allegations, or are you like Don and Harry, just lying?