Default Translation to English, please ........

Yesterday, a poster answered my post where I bought some bottles of Johnson
outboard oil. IIRC, he said to be sure it was TC-W3.

I looked on the bottles, and this is TC-W II.

Now, I go googling, and come up with the terms two cycle and two stroke. To
my understanding, they are the same, using a firing system that has no
valves, and the oil/gas mixture goes on both sides of the piston, versus the
four stroke where the crankcase oil is isolated from the combustion chamber,
has a valve train, and it is called a four stroke. Never heard one referred
to as a four cycle motor.

Can someone give me the short answer on if this TC-WII Johnson oil is good
to use in my '89 Merc 4 cyl TWO STROKE motor?

Is there a discernable difference between TC-WII and TC-W3 oil?

I've run a lot of oil and a lot of gas in a lot of engines. Only burned up
one chain saw, and that was when I had too much beer and used straight gas
in it. OOps. Other than that, I have never had a problem, and have to say
I probably ran stuff a lot oilier than I should have, but that's better than
the chain saw episode.

Does this difference in oils really make a difference other than to anal
personalities? What is the difference between type 2 and type 3 oil?

Steve

HK HK is offline

SteveB wrote:
[...]

I made suggestions to you about this earlier.
The differences in two stroke oil types are significant.

--
Appearing via Thunderbird on an iMac 3.06
or a Macbook Pro 2.4, running Mac OS 10.56,

On Mar 17, 11:13*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

In fact the 3 spec was published in 94 so your 89 engine could not
have required it. Will it be the end of the world if you run that
type 2 oil through your outboard? No. You could save it for the home
tools if you are still concerned. As to using too much, that's not a
good thing either. Excessive oil will increase deposits on the
pistons. You should mix the oil to the recomendations if the engine
uses premix.

On Mar 18, 6:30*am, HK wrote:
SteveB wrote:
[...]

*or* Microsoft VISTA through BootCamp.- Hide quoted text -

Horse****. The only difference between 2 and 3 is that 3 has a tad bit
more anti-carbon agent in it. Now, I know you will start your idiotic
and childish name calling, so let's cut to the chase. Show me the
"significant" differences.

wrote in message
On Mar 18, 6:30 am, HK wrote:
SteveB wrote:
[...]

---------------------------

He can use either oil if his outboard is of an 80's vintage. The Type III
oil is backwards compatible for engines that originally called for Type II.

Eisboch

On Mar 18, 8:35*am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 18, 6:30 am, HK wrote:

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

True.

I use the wally world 2 stroke oil in our pwc. I'm not buying
"expensive" oil to get used once and burned :-)

"Dave Brown" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

Can someone give me the short answer on if this TC-WII Johnson oil is
good to use in my '89 Merc 4 cyl TWO STROKE motor?
Is there a discernable difference between TC-WII and TC-W3 oil?

Very Quickly then...

TCW = Two cycle water cooled. That means it's an 'ashless' oil and should
NEVER be run in PWC type engines. It also means you NEVER run a lawnmower
or chain saw oil in your outboard. I am NOT going to entertain debate
about what's hype what's crap etc. I will simply state the following:

I have been inside engines for all of my adult life (and all my teens too
I guess) and can tell you there IS a difference. Just because an oil meets
the spec, doesn't mean it's the best oil you can buy. OEM oils have more
beneficial additives in them than straight spec non-OEM stuff. Do they
make their own oil? No, but they require the oil companies to make their
oil to their spec, and further prevent them from selling that spec oil as
aftermarket. Does it cost that much extra to make? Nope, but there is no
middle ground. You want their special additive packages that costs an
extra nickel, you get to pay through the nose - no argument there.

In final answer to your question, if you have TCW-2 oil, it's VERY old and
worth 50 cents less than you paid for it. ;-)

Now stop being so damn cheap and go enjoy your boat will ya? ;-)

--

Total tripe. Straight from the yamaha pwc manual "if yamalube is not
available, any twc3 oil may be used.". You're right, nothing to debate,

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
"Dave Brown" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

[...]

I don't know. I think different "blenders" may have better quality control,
etc.
There is (or used to be) a law that required manufacturers to supply
consumables like oil for free, *if* the manufacturer specified a specific
brand name as being the only type that could be used. That may be the
reason for the blurb in your Yamaha manual.

I had an '06 BMW M5 that BMW *required* a special Mobil 1 synthetic blend
designed for racing engines. The 500 hp M5 engine drank oil like it drank
gas and required frequent oil replacement. I thought the BMW dealer was
being nice by giving me oil free whenever I needed any, but it turns out
they were required by law to do so.

Eisboch

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Regards,
Dave Brown
Brown's Marina Ltd
http://brownsmarina.com/

jamesgangnc wrote:

Total tripe. Straight from the yamaha pwc manual "if yamalube is not
available, any twc3 oil may be used.". You're right, nothing to debate,
you're just plain wrong. Hell, we were running ashless oil in our dirt
bikes 30 years ago. And there's nothing different about the manufacturer
brand oil except the price, you pay through the nose for it.

James,

Please accept my sincere apologies for not following what is now normal
decorum in this NG. I do my best to participate when I think I can add
meaningful insight to those who seek it, and I bow out when it's clear
people want to draw me into something else.

As an aside, BRP is quite specific in their Sea-Doo manuals about TCW-3
oils NOT be used as alternatives, but since I am not a PWC dealer I
shall step aside to let you have the floor on this matter if you wish.

A quick thank you is in order as well. I took a quick trip down memory
lane by googling my name in reference to this Newsgroup and found some
stuff from the 90's.

--
Regards,
Dave Brown