Default Translation to English, please ........

On Mar 18, 10:10*am, Dave Brown wrote:
SteveB wrote:
Can someone give me the short answer on if this TC-WII Johnson oil is good
to use in my '89 Merc 4 cyl TWO STROKE motor?
Is there a discernable difference between TC-WII and TC-W3 oil?

Very Quickly then...

TCW = Two cycle water cooled. *That means it's an 'ashless' oil and
should NEVER be run in PWC type engines. It also means you NEVER run a
lawnmower or chain saw oil in your outboard. *I am NOT going to
entertain debate about what's hype what's crap etc. I will simply state
the following:

I have been inside engines for all of my adult life (and all my teens
too I guess) and can tell you there IS a difference. Just because an oil
meets the spec, doesn't mean it's the best oil you can buy. OEM oils
have more beneficial additives in them than straight spec non-OEM stuff.
Do they make their own oil? No, but they require the oil companies to
make their oil to their spec, and further prevent them from selling that
spec oil as aftermarket. Does it cost that much extra to make? Nope, but
there is no middle ground. You want their special additive packages that
costs an extra nickel, you get to pay through the nose - no argument there.

I'm not going to debate you either, but there are a few other points
to ponder...

The additive package is specified by the OEM, but that doesn't mean
it's any better that the oil company's own additive mixture. In fact,
the motor OEM really doesn't have any reason to make their motor last
any longer than the warranty period... they make far more money on
motor sales than oil sales. The oil manufacturers, i.e Penzoil, *do*
rely on their reputation as an oil supplier. They *do* have a reason
to make good oil. It's their main business. Add another 2 cents of
good additives above the OEM package and they're good to go.

The OEM don't really "require" anyone to do anything when making their
OEM oil, anyway. They go out for bid on a certain color oil bottle
with the logo placed just so, with, in your words, an additive package
that "costs an extra nickel", then they charge twice what the oil
company's TC-W3 goes for. All for the LOWEST BID oil to be used in a
motor that they hope wears out soon so you'll buy another.

Now stop being so damn cheap and go enjoy your boat will ya? ;-)

Being a dealer and making your living selling marine equipment and
overpriced oil, would you be a bit biased in your recommendation?
Nah... :-)

Regards,
* * * Dave Brown
* * * Brown's Marina Ltd
* * *http://brownsmarina.com/

HK HK is offline

Dave Brown wrote:
wrote:

The additive package is specified by the OEM, but that doesn't mean
it's any better that the oil company's own additive mixture.

Here's one example to at least show my position. BRP's TCW-3 contains
the additive "Carbon Guard" which is also available separately as a
bottled product through its dealers. It's a product I not only believe
in, it's what I use to clean my pistons when rebuilding. I have said
lots on this topic before and I'm afraid I just don't have the time to
re-type it all again - where is Dejanews when you need it? ;-)

In fact,
the motor OEM really doesn't have any reason to make their motor last
any longer than the warranty period... they make far more money on
motor sales than oil sales. The oil manufacturers, i.e Penzoil, *do*
rely on their reputation as an oil supplier. They *do* have a reason
to make good oil. It's their main business. Add another 2 cents of
good additives above the OEM package and they're good to go.

Yes and no. The oil companies RARELY get blamed for an oil failure, and
the truth is, there are few if any true oil quality related failures in
the short term in my business. Where I see the result is years of using
crappy oil that causes carbon build up and 'coking' which cause
detonation and piston failure. People NEVER blame the oil for that, it's
always the OEM that takes it in the pants at the watering hole.

The OEM don't really "require" anyone to do anything when making their
OEM oil, anyway. They go out for bid on a certain color oil bottle
with the logo placed just so, with, in your words, an additive package
that "costs an extra nickel", then they charge twice what the oil
company's TC-W3 goes for. All for the LOWEST BID oil to be used in a
motor that they hope wears out soon so you'll buy another.

I would have to agree to disagree then. I do honestly agree that the oil
is better, but concede the cost of the better product is out of
proportion to the price. I would still pay to get it. You have no idea
of the warranty issues we have with aftermarket parts/products and if
people think they're 'just as good' they should stop in and see the pile
of crap from China sitting on my office floor that the aftermarket guys
are fighting me on. I refuse to use it anymore.

Being a dealer and making your living selling marine equipment and
overpriced oil, would you be a bit biased in your recommendation?
Nah... :-)

I know that's tongue in cheek jab, but I really do get tired of having
to defend my position regarding bias. This NG is international in scope
and what I say in here doesn't make me a single penny (although there is
certainly a cost to productivity at my desk). I have spent most of my
life educating boaters about the correct choices to make, and in the end
it really and truly doesn't matter to me what choice they make once they
have full information. I'd like to think my contributions to this NG
(when I can filter through the crap) merit at least some indication of
my credibility, plus I have "Tech Tip" pages where again, I didn't make
a penny writing any of it, nor do I make anything every time someone
reads and benefits from it (they are the busiest pages on my site BTW).

I better get back to work now.... ;-)

Crikey! (my nod to internationalism)

I had a series of Merc two cycles, and never ever used used anything
except the manufacturer's correct and branded oil. The two dealers I
patronized bought their oil in bulk and decanted it into one gallon jugs.

I don't recall the price difference between the Merc-branded oil and the
non-motor-brand stuff, but it wasn't very significant. More important, I
didn't think the price of the oil was a significant factor in the
considerations of what to use in an $8000 (at the time) outboard motor.

I have a four cycle outboard now. The dealer changes the oil and filter
for me at the end of the season, and I can change both mid-season if
need be. I believe the selling price of my current engine is about
$11000 or so. Too expensive for my puttering.

If it is under the hood, I let the dealer handle it.

--
Appearing via Thunderbird on an iMac 3.06
or a Macbook Pro 2.4, running Mac OS 10.56,

On Mar 18, 5:32*pm, Dave Brown wrote:

You have no idea
of the warranty issues we have with aftermarket parts/products and if
people think they're 'just as good' they should stop in and see the pile
of crap from China sitting on my office floor that the aftermarket guys
are fighting me on. I refuse to use it anymore.

I agree on the influx of aftermarket cheap Chinese crap, but that's
not what we're talking about. Penzoil/Mobil/Havoline/whatever TC-W3
isn't aftermarket, it's top-shelf, brand name oil. I don't know who
made the oil in the Yamalube bottle. It could even be a Chinese oil
company that got the contract this year.

Being a dealer and making your living selling marine equipment and
overpriced oil, would you be a bit biased in your recommendation?
Nah... :-)

I know that's tongue in cheek jab, but I really do get tired of having
to defend my position regarding bias.

Not attacking you, just presenting an opposing view, with a good-
natured, and maybe partially valid jab. I wouldn't expect you to sell
a product if you didn't believe in it, no matter how well (or un)
founded those beliefs are. :-)

Happy boating!

"HK" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
Yesterday, a poster answered my post where I bought some bottles of
Johnson outboard oil. IIRC, he said to be sure it was TC-W3.

I looked on the bottles, and this is TC-W II.

Now, I go googling, and come up with the terms two cycle and two stroke.
To my understanding, they are the same, using a firing system that has no
valves, and the oil/gas mixture goes on both sides of the piston, versus
the four stroke where the crankcase oil is isolated from the combustion
chamber, has a valve train, and it is called a four stroke. Never heard
one referred to as a four cycle motor.

Can someone give me the short answer on if this TC-WII Johnson oil is
good to use in my '89 Merc 4 cyl TWO STROKE motor?

Is there a discernable difference between TC-WII and TC-W3 oil?

I've run a lot of oil and a lot of gas in a lot of engines. Only burned
up one chain saw, and that was when I had too much beer and used straight
gas in it. OOps. Other than that, I have never had a problem, and have
to say I probably ran stuff a lot oilier than I should have, but that's
better than the chain saw episode.

Does this difference in oils really make a difference other than to anal
personalities? What is the difference between type 2 and type 3 oil?

Steve

I made suggestions to you about this earlier.
The differences in two stroke oil types are significant.

I am sorry. I had a TBI five years ago, and forget easily. I didn't want
to put you out by having you have to comment on it again. Sorry.

Steve

"Dave Brown" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

[...]

In final answer to your question, if you have TCW-2 oil, it's VERY old and
worth 50 cents less than you paid for it. ;-)

Now stop being so damn cheap and go enjoy your boat will ya? ;-)

--
Regards,
Dave Brown
Brown's Marina Ltd
http://brownsmarina.com/

Thank you. Very good advice. Waiting for a little time off to take the
boat to the lake and do a shakedown cruise.

Steve

"Dave Brown" wrote in message
news:P_CdnQDU9LlHxFzUnZ2dnUVZ_sninZ2d@wtccommunica tions.ca...
wrote:

[...]

The way I feel about it...outboard motors are too costly to be nickel &
diming the oil to use.
On the 2003 Johnson 25... I go to the dealer for my gearcase oil and will do
the same for my 2 stroke oil after I use up the two gallons Tom gave me.
Getting hard to find that heavy weight gear oil for my 1954 British Seagull
40 Plus.
Someone said you can get the proper weight lubricant at a farm supply store.
Hope that's good enough for marine use.

wrote:

[...]

And wait for it....... What's on side of the briggs and stratton oil bottle
from lowes.
That's right, ASHLESS.

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:23:05 -0400, "jamesgangnc"
wrote:

And wait for it....... What's on side of the briggs and stratton oil bottle
from lowes.
That's right, ASHLESS.

I recall ads for somebody's, Shell I think, AD aviation oil in Flying
back in 58 or so. I used it in my Corvair in 69.

Casady

wrote:
The additive package is specified by the OEM, but that doesn't mean
it's any better that the oil company's own additive mixture.

Here's one example to at least show my position. BRP's TCW-3 contains
the additive "Carbon Guard" which is also available separately as a
bottled product through its dealers. It's a product I not only believe
in, it's what I use to clean my pistons when rebuilding.

I've also used it as an additive to the gas on my old 2 stroke boat.
Bear in mind that "Carbon Guard" is just a brand name for some
chemicals that reduce carbon buildup. I just looked at a bottle of
Penzoil TC-W3 oil and it, too has additives to reduce carbon buildup.
Likely the same chemicals, just not from the company that trademarked
the name. They also test to a higher standard of lubricity to reduce
scuffing of cylinder walls and rings.

Regards,
* * * Dave Brown
* * * Brown's Marina Ltd