Default Pulled the trigger on a new...

"Jim749293432" wrote in message
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
Mac desktop. Supposedly there are new models coming out sometime soon,
but nothing rumored about the still vaporware models seemed that
significant to me, although they will be to others, I suspect, who are
more into computer games and heavy duty graphics and math processing.

Also snagged a beta of Windows 7, which just about anyone can do via
Microsoft's open beta for at least the short term, and burned it onto a
DVD. It'll be the "alternatve" OS on the new Mac. I run Vista as the
alternative on my Macbook Pro, works fine.

And my old desktop machine is now updated and "ready" to be
"server-ized."

Is Windows 7 designed to be an upgrade from Vista, or is it strictly a
completely new OS install?

Eisboch

Windows 7 is a completely new OS, but is really just a improvement over
Vista, vs a major upgrade. It is basically Windows Vista with the memory
hog problems solved and to improve on the Windows Security system so it
will not be as aggravating. It is designed to be what Vista should have
been and suppossedly will run faster than both Vista and XP on similar
machines.

I think the MAC is a great machine, but I will be waiting on Windows 7
SP1 to upgrade my computer.

I have 3 machines with XP SP3 on them and they all have Windows 7.0 on
them. What exactly is Vista? What exactly is Windows 7.0? Did M-soft slip
Vista into my systems without my knowlege?

Windows 7 or Internet Explorer version 7.0?

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

IE 7.0. I feel so dumb.
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

The latter I would bet.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
Mac desktop. Supposedly there are new models coming out sometime soon,
but nothing rumored about the still vaporware models seemed that
significant to me, although they will be to others, I suspect, who are
more into computer games and heavy duty graphics and math processing.

Also snagged a beta of Windows 7, which just about anyone can do via
Microsoft's open beta for at least the short term, and burned it onto a
DVD. It'll be the "alternatve" OS on the new Mac. I run Vista as the
alternative on my Macbook Pro, works fine.

And my old desktop machine is now updated and "ready" to be
"server-ized."

Is Windows 7 designed to be an upgrade from Vista, or is it strictly a
completely new OS install?

Eisboch

Windows 7 is Vista regurgitated. Not much difference. Marketing ploy
really, they messed up with Vista so fix a few things and a new name.

Why someone would buy a Mac and run Vista eludes me.

HK HK is offline

Canuck57 wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
"HK" wrote in message
[...]

The simple answer is that there are a few apps I use without Mac
equivalents. Windows runs just as well on a Mac through bootcamp as it
does on a plain old PC that does not run the Mac OS.

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:29:45 -0500, HK wrote:

The simple answer is that there are a few apps I use without Mac
equivalents. Windows runs just as well on a Mac through bootcamp as it
does on a plain old PC that does not run the Mac OS.

If it's only a few apps, why bother with a dual-boot? Why not set up
Windows to run virtualized from within the Mac OS? VirtualBox, I believe
works with Mac OS X.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox

I have *1* Windows program that I still occasionally use. I run it from
a box, and never have to leave Linux. There's even a Windows Lite, that
has most of the BS stripped from it. Linux, or in your case, Mac OS,
controls the computer so you don't have to worry about running that
insecure, buggy POS called Windows. ;-)

If you are interested, I can point you to the needed documentations to
get you going.
HK HK is offline

thunder wrote:
[...]

I've tried both the commonly available virtual apps for Macs - VMware
and Parallels. Both work ok, but you still take a performance hit. I
don't spend a lot of time in Windows anymore, and the Mac shutdown and
boot into Vista only takes about two minutes. Not a biggie. Thanks for
the offer, though. I'll take a peek at VirtualBox.

"thunder" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I recently bought a Playstation 3. Now, don't laugh. It's for a project I
want to attempt, using the
unit as a "server" of sorts. It's quite an impressive machine, as
computers go.
I am a little confused as to what OS it operates on. I've heard that it
runs Linux and I've also heard
that you can now, or will soon be able to load Firefox on it to use as a web
browser.
I've connected to the Internet wirelessly with it on our home network, but
don't quite understand the browser they use.

Anyway, if all works as planned, this thing will be the heart of a home
entertainment center with massive storage for movies, music, etc.

Oh, and the kids (including me) can play games. The one that came with it
(Drake's Uncharted Fortune) has me hooked but I can get beyond the plane
wreck chapter.

Eisboch

Eisboch