HK HK is offline

Default Pulled the trigger on a new...

Mac desktop. Supposedly there are new models coming out sometime soon,
but nothing rumored about the still vaporware models seemed that
significant to me, although they will be to others, I suspect, who are
more into computer games and heavy duty graphics and math processing.

Also snagged a beta of Windows 7, which just about anyone can do via
Microsoft's open beta for at least the short term, and burned it onto a
DVD. It'll be the "alternatve" OS on the new Mac. I run Vista as the
alternative on my Macbook Pro, works fine.

And my old desktop machine is now updated and "ready" to be "server-ized."

"HK" wrote in message
Mac desktop. Supposedly there are new models coming out sometime soon, but
nothing rumored about the still vaporware models seemed that significant
to me, although they will be to others, I suspect, who are more into
computer games and heavy duty graphics and math processing.

Also snagged a beta of Windows 7, which just about anyone can do via
Microsoft's open beta for at least the short term, and burned it onto a
DVD. It'll be the "alternatve" OS on the new Mac. I run Vista as the
alternative on my Macbook Pro, works fine.

And my old desktop machine is now updated and "ready" to be "server-ized."

Is Windows 7 designed to be an upgrade from Vista, or is it strictly a
completely new OS install?

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
Mac desktop. Supposedly there are new models coming out sometime soon,
but nothing rumored about the still vaporware models seemed that
significant to me, although they will be to others, I suspect, who are
more into computer games and heavy duty graphics and math processing.

Also snagged a beta of Windows 7, which just about anyone can do via
Microsoft's open beta for at least the short term, and burned it onto
a DVD. It'll be the "alternatve" OS on the new Mac. I run Vista as the
alternative on my Macbook Pro, works fine.

And my old desktop machine is now updated and "ready" to be
"server-ized."

Is Windows 7 designed to be an upgrade from Vista, or is it strictly a
completely new OS install?

Eisboch

Dunno. Haven't even looked at the MS web page on it yet. My guess is
that it'll upgrade a VISTA or it'll do a fresh install.

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
Mac desktop. Supposedly there are new models coming out sometime soon,
but nothing rumored about the still vaporware models seemed that
significant to me, although they will be to others, I suspect, who are
more into computer games and heavy duty graphics and math processing.

Also snagged a beta of Windows 7, which just about anyone can do via
Microsoft's open beta for at least the short term, and burned it onto
a DVD. It'll be the "alternatve" OS on the new Mac. I run Vista as the
alternative on my Macbook Pro, works fine.

And my old desktop machine is now updated and "ready" to be
"server-ized."

Is Windows 7 designed to be an upgrade from Vista, or is it strictly a
completely new OS install?

Eisboch

Windows 7 is a completely new OS, but is really just a improvement over
Vista, vs a major upgrade. It is basically Windows Vista with the
memory hog problems solved and to improve on the Windows Security system
so it will not be as aggravating. It is designed to be what Vista
should have been and suppossedly will run faster than both Vista and XP
on similar machines.

I think the MAC is a great machine, but I will be waiting on Windows 7
SP1 to upgrade my computer.

--

Looking to for a good time?

click here to make yourself feel good.

http://tinyurl.com/d3vxvm

"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

It's funny. Due to all the horror stories I had heard about Vista, I was
very hesitant to go with it on this new computer. I tried to pay attention
to recommendations regarding RAM, etc. and made sure it had 4GB and was the
64 bit version.

So far, I haven't had a single serious hiccup. In fact, only once did a
program (I think it was InfanView) temporarily "lock up" and deliver a
"program is not responding" message, but as I was reading it, it
automatically cleared itself and continued running. That's the only time
I've seen any sort of glitch and it went away by itself.

Eisboch

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:15:54 -0500, HK wrote:

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

Either way, MS betas for operating systems always "expire" when the
final version is released. You have to completely remove them to
install a licensed version. Unless you really need to have the beta
for software developnment, it's foolish to install it on a machine you
use for anything else.

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

I have 3 machines with XP SP3 on them and they all have Windows 7.0 on
them. What exactly is Vista? What exactly is Windows 7.0? Did M-soft
slip Vista into my systems without my knowlege?

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

Windows 7 or Internet Explorer version 7.0?

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

IE 7.0. I feel so dumb.

"Jim7495632085" wrote in message

Windows 7 or Internet Explorer version 7.0?

IE 7.0. I feel so dumb.

Hardly.

Meanwhile, we are iced in, frozen in, boxed in and penned in with more snow
coming Monday/Tuesday.

This has been one of the most miserable winters up here in many years.

Today it is warm (45), but only for a brief amount of time before the deep
freeze comes back.
It's enough to melt the first inch of ice or so before everything
re-freezes.

Eisboch