Default Building your own home

On Dec 29, 3:10*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:36:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 29, 2:22*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:13:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:50*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:03:49 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."

wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. *Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

At present, you can buy an existing house for less than you can build
it.

So? That has little to do with why a person would want to build their
own house as opposed to owning someone elses ideas about what you
want.

Or, it might be the entire reason, asslick. The OP didn't say why he
wanted to build a house. He did mention the economy as a factor.

Now tell us all, what do you know about the housing market in
Atlanta?

Apparently a lot more than you know.

As usual, when shown you're an idiot, you instantly start your third
grade vulgar insults just like your brother Harry. I didn't say the
economy had nothing to do with his decision. DID I?

The rest is a non-answer. You don't know a damned thing about the
market in Atlanta. If you did, you'd know that in many areas of
Atlanta, the market value of houses is still pretty high.

Wrong on all counts, Liar.- Hide quoted text -

Well, really? Prove me wrong. Almost all of Atlanta's areas are in
much better shape than the rest of the country. Now, what sources did
you use to analyze the situation here? What counties did you research?
What are the numbers?
Oh, and seeing how I'm "wrong on all counts". Where did I say that the
economy had nothing to do with the poster's decision? I know, I've
proven what a dummy you are, therefore, let the childish vulgar
Harryesque name calling begin.

wrote:
[...]

Loogy specializes in the design and construction of two hole outhouses,
but he still hasn't figured out how to cut out the moon shapes on the door.- Hide quoted text -

Another lie. I expect nothing more from you than you petty childish
insults, seeing how you know you are wrong.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:21:13 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

John H wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:52:00 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

John H wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:35:23 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?
Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by all
means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------
Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.
I think he built his Maryland Red Barn, in which he can't put his boat
because it's falling down.
--
** Good Day! **

John H
No, he did build his own home. I can remember him talking about using a
few union buddies when he was building his home, even though they
normally don't work on residential construction. According to the link
Loogie provided, you can save up to 40% being your own GC.

I mean if Harry can find good trades, I should be able to.

Wait a minute, Harry is the one who doesn't believe Reginald P. Smithers is
your real name. What makes you think he found good trades?

I wonder what must be put in walls to keep bobcat urine odor confined to
one room.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

The name is Reginald P. Smithers III, ESQ.

I wonder why Harry doesn't want to talk about being his own GC? Maybe
he was not successful at isolating the bobcat urine smell.

Do you *really* believe Harry acted as his own GC? For that matter, do you
*really* believe he had his house built.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by
all means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.

Once again, I suggest you get Loogy to help you. The two of you
should make a wonderful pair.

Did you have any problems finding good trades when building your home?
I would assume you had great trades for the brickwork, but I was
thinking more about plumbing and electrician etc.

As soon as you post your full legal name here and I can verify it, I'll
be glad to fill you in on the good, the bad, and the ugly in reference
to serving as your own GC on the construction of a personal home. I will
tell you that it is not a challenge to be taken on lightly.

You didn't build the house your wife owns. She bought an "improved
property" in 2003, which means it had an existing structure on it. The
structure on the property your wife owns was built in 2002 by "BUILTRITE
AT CHELTENHAM KNOLLS INC." In fact BUILTRITE AT CHELTENHAM KNOLLS INC
built all of the homes on the street your wife bought her house on. The
Maryland State tax records don't lie: http://tinyurl.com/a25mru

hk wrote:
[...]

Hehehe, You are the numnutz, no doubt about it. I did some contracting
on this house, but one of the houses on which I was the GC is in
Northern Virginia.

hk wrote:
[...]

I sure hope Reginald sees this. Poor Krause. His lies just keep coming back
to haunt him.

Reggie -- Ha, Ha, I toldja!!
--
** Good Day! **

John H

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:17:49 -0500, Boater wrote:

hk wrote:
[...]

Tap, tap, tippity, tap, tap.

LMAO!

Sounds like something Jimh would do!
--
** Good Day! **

John H

hk wrote:
[...]

Was your current house the first and only time you acted as your GC?

Boater wrote:
hk wrote:
[...]

Harry,
You did tell us your acted as your GC on your present house. Did you do
as much work on the NV house as your current house?

wrote:

We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Haven't done it myself, but have you looked for a book called "Acting
As Your Own General Contractor For Dummies"?
Seems there's a book for everything.
I'd be most careful about the architect. You ever watch "Engineering
Disasters" on the History Channel? Make sure your architect wasn't
featured on that show.
After that, I'd make sure the weather was right. No building in the
rain or during a hurricane or tornado. It's ok to do plumbing once
the roof is up even if it's raining.
Stuff like that.
And some money stuff, like don't give Irish Travelers any money.
And make sure about bonding.
Those kinds of thing. It's doable.

--Vic