Default Building your own home

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:35:23 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by all
means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.

I think he built his Maryland Red Barn, in which he can't put his boat
because it's falling down.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

wrote:

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by all
means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.

I think he built his Maryland Red Barn, in which he can't put his boat
because it's falling down.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

No, he did build his own home. I can remember him talking about using a
few union buddies when he was building his home, even though they
normally don't work on residential construction. According to the link
Loogie provided, you can save up to 40% being your own GC.

I mean if Harry can find good trades, I should be able to.

wrote:

hk wrote:
[...]

Wait a minute, Harry is the one who doesn't believe Reginald P. Smithers is
your real name. What makes you think he found good trades?

I wonder what must be put in walls to keep bobcat urine odor confined to
one room.
--
** Good Day! **

John H

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by all
means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.

Once again, I suggest you get Loogy to help you. The two of you should
make a wonderful pair.

wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:36:01 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Dec 29, 2:22 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:13:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:50 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:03:49 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?
At present, you can buy an existing house for less than you can build
it.
So? That has little to do with why a person would want to build their
own house as opposed to owning someone elses ideas about what you
want.
Or, it might be the entire reason, asslick. The OP didn't say why he
wanted to build a house. He did mention the economy as a factor.

Now tell us all, what do you know about the housing market in
Atlanta?
Apparently a lot more than you know.

As usual, when shown you're an idiot, you instantly start your third
grade vulgar insults just like your brother Harry. I didn't say the
economy had nothing to do with his decision. DID I?

The rest is a non-answer. You don't know a damned thing about the
market in Atlanta. If you did, you'd know that in many areas of
Atlanta, the market value of houses is still pretty high.

Wrong on all counts, Liar.

Loogy specializes in the design and construction of two hole outhouses,
but he still hasn't figured out how to cut out the moon shapes on the door.

wrote:

hk wrote:
[...]

The name is Reginald P. Smithers III, ESQ.

I wonder why Harry doesn't want to talk about being his own GC? Maybe
he was not successful at isolating the bobcat urine smell.

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by
all means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.

Once again, I suggest you get Loogy to help you. The two of you should
make a wonderful pair.

Did you have any problems finding good trades when building your home?
I would assume you had great trades for the brickwork, but I was
thinking more about plumbing and electrician etc.

On Dec 29, 3:10*pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:43 pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:

I'd like to build a house, I have some ideas that I'd like to see
built into one. *Soundproofing certain rooms / walls is one thing.
2x6 top and bottom plates with staggered 2x4 studs. *That way the two
sides of the wall aren't coupled with a common 2x4 stud, but are free-
standing with an air gap between them. *Add insulation (even if it's
an interior wall) and you have a "soundproof" wall.
Uh, no...you don't. Sound will transmit over the common top and floor
plates.

No ****, sherlock... as it will between the decoupled wall surfaces,
as well as through the floor. *But this method is very effective on
reducing the amount of sound transmitted through the wall. *No one is
talking about a truly soundproofed room; that's why I called it a
"soundproof" wall (notice the "quotes"). *Everyone caught that except
for you.

What you want to do is split the top and bottom plates along the long
axis. I'd use a pair of 2x4's for the plates to isolate sound
transmission from one interior wall to another. You have to order your
door trims in a way that accommodates the thicker walls, though. I did
this to isolate laundry room sounds, and I also spec'd a Pirelli rubber
tile floor.

That would give you, at best, a minimal improvement over 2x6 plates.
The major coupling is the flat wall surfaces for music, street noises,
etc. After all, those split plates you describe are still both
attached to the same structure on the floor and in the ceiling, so
they are ultimately still tied together. And now you have an 8+" wall
instead of a 6" wall... much harder to get those door facings for
that.

In your laundry room example, the major noise is actually low freqency
vibrations being transmitted directly into the floor structure.
Beefing the floor up, with piers directly under the laundry room, is
the best way to minimize those sounds.

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by
all means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.

Once again, I suggest you get Loogy to help you. The two of you should
make a wonderful pair.

Did you have any problems finding good trades when building your home?
I would assume you had great trades for the brickwork, but I was
thinking more about plumbing and electrician etc.

As soon as you post your full legal name here and I can verify it, I'll
be glad to fill you in on the good, the bad, and the ugly in reference
to serving as your own GC on the construction of a personal home. I will
tell you that it is not a challenge to be taken on lightly.